1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought something I've been looking at for yrs -- I bought a Ural Sportsman 2 wheel drive side car bike --- after I get the tuning sorted --- it's going to get the russian army treatment - ammo cans, extra gas cans and a gun mount on the sidecar tub ...;).... I got it from a guy that spent 3 yrs in Siberia kind of under cover ---- he wasn't supposed to be where he was,, working on a geology project on a gold mine and studying the Tundra vs global climate ---- ... my goal is to get it ready in time for the SF Veteran's Day parade--- there are lots of Russian WW2 vets living in SF - and I'd like to take one of them in the sidecar for the parade -- after all , as the Colonel in charge of the ROTC ( and parade) in SF SF says - " those men were our Allies in WW2 - and I invite them every yr '
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...44478077.1073741832.1214352518&type=3&theater

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Interesting Russki BMW knockoff; good luck finding parts, probably. What year is yours?

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Congrats on the new toy, and that sounds like fun. Also, good to see you posting, Moose! Been a while. :D

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it has 12,000Km on the clock- new pistons and fresh valve job -- it may in fact be the #2 ural imported into the States--- it's a '94 sportsman - it's a kickstart only and full time 2wd .... it came with what would be about a $1k in accessorys ( well- in today's market) new ones of these ---- I've seen them going for up to $22k new --- and a '07 for $10k ------ I being a poor stagehand got it for considerably less --- less in fact than a new Chinese 125 would cost ( 1/2 !!) parts are easy to find and not as costly as you might think--- there are places in the EU and eastern bloc that sell parts online---- and are very reliable --- :) a compleat new topend set --- cylinders, pistons, heads, gaskets retails for $400 us - new cranks are 200-300 $ US ------ it's Not fast - think WW2 jeep , this one is geared low for dirt road riding ... you should see the vids on youtube of people driving across the US southwest deserts or navigating the- Very- back dirt roads/ goat trails across europe ---- france to russian type stuff ... like the TAT trail here in the US /// :D

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
2wd ?

Do they drive the front wheel on these things or is the side car wheel driven? I've looked at a bunch of pictures and can't see anything that looks like drive components in the front wheel. When I was young I worked at a gas station up in the mountains that had one of those Rokon 2wd bikes,it was a hoot but I don't see anything like it's drive on your new toy!

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Ural`s are rear and side car drive some you can "unlock" the side car wheel drive at will .

Rokon`s LOVE em own 2 not fast but will go places not even a quad can go :D !! oh the drum wheel ones float on left side so you can cross deep water :tongue: can`t do that with a quad !!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
see drive shaft and universal across to the sidecar wheel

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...44478077.1073741832.1214352518&type=3&theater

this one has a differential in the rear bevel drive housing--- Dneprs have a diff too- but split the torque 65- 35 to the sidecar wheel - and can instal a diff lock for off road riding in mud ect -- later urals use a drive lock and no diff--- one wheel drive or 2 wheel dive - makes them very hard to steer on the hard-- so you only use it in slippery dirt /mud --
denprs might be a better machine --- but they are hard to find in the states --- in eastern europe easy and cheap to find - but not easy to get into the states (sigh) they are here though - I've seen them ... some one here in town has one ..

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep -- that's a new Gear Up--- like mine But about $12.000 more than I paid I'm a poor back stagehand so a newer GearUp isn't in the cards for me :-(

·
Registered
966 Posts
1 Ural
1 weapons mount
1 belt fed
1 belt of tracers
1 mechanically inclined, 2a supportin' monkey
10 empty milk jugs
(2) 5 gallon gas cans, full
1 map with route to black rock desert

Been a dream of mine for a long time

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
1 Ural
1 weapons mount
1 belt fed
1 belt of tracers
10 empty milk jugs

Much, much more ammo and Tannerite!!:D
Even better if the support monkey is fully bipedal and has a really sweet rack.
(Umm, to put more gear on,,) WHAT!?!?!??? ;)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 Ural
1 weapons mount
1 belt fed
1 belt of tracers
10 empty milk jugs

Beltdriven---- Been my dream too- some time to see my son shooting a 1919 from the chair-- ( he got to shoot a 1919 from the front seat of a ww2 jeep at the mustang range a few yrs ago )-- this one was for sale on CL for quite a while - and from just up north of you too----- Chico- took a month to make it happen- 2 others ahead dropped out or wrote bad checks----- 2400 and a bottle of $$ scotch - the kind you can't get in Chico ;) who knows -- you might get your wish :D black rock is Not that far from either of us ......

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'll meet you at the Bass Pro they are building at Sierra College and 80. When the ammo's out we can play model rocket polo. LeMans start, the launch of the rocket is the 'Bomb start', bonus points to catching the rocket while in motion on the bike.

Scotch in Chico is funny! For those who don't know, the city is home to Chico State, and has had the reputation as a party college forever. And weed. Lotta weed too. A fine scotch in a town like that is some kinda rare.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts