1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to "release" the barrel lock spring to adjust the headspace? If so, how?
I've been using the video below as my guide, in an old post people recommended it. His is turning pretty freely and has positive clicks. Mine definitely does not move that easy...and I dont want to mess something up.
Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07ZcxpHNgo

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found this post....
http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?54237-Newbie-first-things-first-Safety-check&p=371721#post371721

"Yes, the procedure you see in the video will achieve your headspace setting. The video also demonstrates the barrel turning quite easily. If your gun is set up for 7.62 and has the proper barrel lock spring, you may not be able to rotate and adjust your barrel as easy as what you see in the video. The 7.62 barrel lock springs are much more positive than the .30 cal. lock springs and often requires moving the lock spring back before rotating the barrel. Something to keep in mind before you start using a bigger screwdriver to rotate the barrel."

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More talking to myself here. I guess once it decides to work, its not too bad. I got it adjusted (mostly).

My question is, this guy says to give it 3-4 clicks past full lockup. Other posts on the forum call for 2 clicks, then test and adjust accordingly.
I set it at two clicks past full lockup.
Am I correct that:
Too LITTLE headspace and the gun may not run right, be too tight or run slow.
Too MUCH headspace and you'll get case ruptures or worse.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Be aware that when using a screwdriver to move the Izzy spring you can accidently bend it out too far. Problem then is you set your headspace and it will not hold it. Confused the crap out of me, I would set the space fire 3-4 rounds, CLICK, nothing, check headspace, was off. Adjust 3-4, click again.

I prefer the GI ones, they are easier to adjust, the upside of the izzy ones, they stay put

1 - 5 of 5 Posts