1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Shootists . I'm new here so don't be nasty or something to that effect. Anyhoo , I have 2 Enfields . Bertha , is a 3 band dated 1870 , and Bert , her son , is 1871 ,he is a carbine with no rear sights ? Apparently , it was a prison guards gun and they didn't aim , just splatter ? I have been reloading 24 ga. brass cut to 2" and first 3/4" annealed then I load with 70 grains of GOEX or Schuetzen 2F powder , 15-17 grains of Polenta , a felt wad then .578 cast boolit . For die , I use LEE . I seem to be destroying about 15% of my reloads ? Usually crushing in die . My best 5 shot grouping was 10' , or simply put , I hit the berm ! Wifie is much better. I didn't know you had to re-anneal after 3-4 firings ? Out of 75 shotshells , I have 34 to shoot . I have 75 new brass but no cast boolits til after Oct. 22 .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes Mr. Cal.Bar it was a lost art , and having read several antient books on how the peeps shot bison after the introduction of the " fire stick " in 1873 , or thereabouts , I tracked down 1870 and an 1871 examples . They are very accurate for their age , believe it or not I personally can get 10 shots in a 10 foot circle at 50 yds.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
...LOL...that is funny. The accuracy of pre-1873 black powder guns in the war between the states was exceptional. Long range shots of over 800-yds were not unusual. Even Murphy,the sniper who shot and killed British Gen. Fergeson at the battle of Saratoga with a flint-lock rifle,was not out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greetings Mr. L999here . If my Us history is correct , wasn't that " the shot heard round the world " ? My 2 Enfields were used against the Zulu and the Boars , of course the British lost both .HHMMM , seems like Britain is a habitual loser,huh ?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes Mr. Cal.Bar it was a lost art , and having read several antient books on how the peeps shot bison after the introduction of the " fire stick " in 1873 , or thereabouts , I tracked down 1870 and an 1871 examples . They are very accurate for their age , believe it or not I personally can get 10 shots in a 10 foot circle at 50 yds.
I LOVE history and love historical firearms. Love that you are keeping the art alive. We may tease you (relentlessly) about your antiques, but never forget we appreciate the effort that goes into keeping the art alive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts