1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly different thread but same idea. What if you had 48hrs notice that you could have an amnesty and NEW registering for only ONE day. What would you do? Also, it would only be for individuals/trusts/LLC, no C2/SOT. I would reigster every sideplate I have sitting around , even the Tapco plate junk I have, along with registering the bolts, ala Uzi bolt guns if I could. Also, convert every mouse gun I have. Possibly register my HK91 receiver as FA. What would you do? What else could be easily converted like the 1919's and M2's?:)

Lets add a kicker to this. You also must enclose, with your application to register, pictures with the s/n visible, of each gun that must be completed within this 24 hour period. No registering chromemoly tubing or receivers not yet completed. AR receivers must have the magic pin hole drilled and 1919's/50cals receivers must be assembled. Can of worms with what you can do with photo's now and also getting the LEO to sign off on a dozen MG's at once!

·
LEGENDARY BULLY!
6,488 Posts
A Question???? Living in NY, there is NO chance to ever own a FA. Would it be possible to register a sideplate, receiver/tube and just hold onto them, with the possibility of building later if I moved to a FA friendly state?

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
I would drill as many holes in steel, aluminum, titanium, wood, plastic, tupperware and anything else i could register.

I can surely make enough MG's in 48 hrs to keep me and my ammo hungry daughters goin for many many yrs to come. You guys need to quit all this "What if the NFA went away" questions, your makin me sad thinkin about it knowin it wont ever happened. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
A amnesty would only be for weapons that were brought in to the country legally.not put together guns, in 1968 the amnesty was only for war bring backs.

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
If you read the post first before tryin to sound like you know all, we answered as he asked. But thank you for informing us for the first time ever about the 68 amnesty.

·
Registered
670 Posts
An interesting thought: NFA has provisions for repair of NFA firearms, for example if your pre-86 M-16's receiver busted in two, it can be fixed (replaced?). In the event of a war trophy amnesty, isnt it conceivable to register a de-mill kit, then at your leisure have it "repaired"? I'm sure someone will say something along the lines of "it has to be a functional whole gun", but in reality IF something like this went down, I doubt the powers that be will require granny to function check and live fire the BAR that's been sitting under her bed for 60+ years. Guess we wouldnt know until they released info about it, but an interesting idea. On the flip side, if that were possible, would the same amnesty also have writting to outlaw parts kits since they could be registered and repaired as whole firearms?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I don't have anything that fits the description. I DO have a FAL that *was* Cali-legal (when I bought it specifically for that purpose) but they changed the law when I wasn?t looking and I had to move the gun out of state? Given the chance (assuming I was planning on staying here), I'd register my FAL as an ?AW? just because I hate having to drive 2 hours to shoot and maintain it? Cripes, I bought it here, so they got to know that I own it (paperwork) and could have sent me a warning letter or something.. But that just tells me it's time to pack my money and leave - besides, I'm sick of paying for illegal aliens to come here and have their babies.:mad: The rest of the Idiots who stay will get to do that without my help.:)

Now, I don?t give a ****, because I?m retiring soon and am moving out of the state to retire. As least my CA real-estate acquisitions are doing well!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's easy. Every firearm that I own that could be converted to a functional and reliable CIII would be put on the registry. I could then convert them at my leisure. I think I might have to buy an assload of muffler pipe and register it if possible. Damnit, now you have my mouth watering.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hoploholic said:
That's easy. Every firearm that I own that could be converted to a functional and reliable CIII would be put on the registry. I could then convert them at my leisure. I think I might have to buy an assload of muffler pipe and register it if possible. Damnit, now you have my mouth watering.
Now I could certainly be WRONG, but I don't think you can legally convert any new weapons to F/A unless you're using parts that were registered as MG's prior to the McClure-Volkmer act of 1986.

I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will step in (hopefully in a polite manner) and correct me.

Opp's - sorry, I just noticed that you're in Japan, so please disregard my comments - they are US laws....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Slick said:
Now I could certainly be WRONG, but I don't think you can legally convert any new weapons to F/A unless you're using parts that were registered as MG's prior to the McClure-Volkmer act of 1986.
Right you are. No new FA's for public consumption. Only government entities.

If an amnesty took place it would more than likely only be to update the BATFE records as right now they are in quite a sad state.

The 1968 amnesty was not only for war trophy's but advertised as any MG could be registered no questions asked. This was not true as a friend of mine registered two he had for years one of which was an M3 .50 wing gun from a wrecked aircraft. The BATFE agent in Phoenix Arizona that he talked to went on and on with questions until my friend reminded him that they had said "no questions asked".

The .50 turned out to be a major rebuild for me as the receiver box was twisted quite a bit. I had to grind out all of the rivits and streighten the plates on a 50 ton press.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
DOUBLE8 said:
I would drill as many holes in steel, aluminum, titanium, wood, plastic, tupperware and anything else i could register.

I can surely make enough MG's in 48 hrs to keep me and my ammo hungry daughters goin for many many yrs to come.
I don't think it would be allowed. Before May of 1986 some mfg's tried to register blank tubes and ruffed out side plates but the BATFE said no way unless the receiver or plate was finished.

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
What about Fleming, ever hear of him?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
DOUBLE8 said:
What about Fleming, ever hear of him?
I have heard of Fleming but I do not know much about him except that he was a manufacturer. I think I remember that he made some auto sears for H&K's.

I only meant that I have read about manufactures that tried to register some very questionable receivers just before the close.

Now that I think about it I believe I remember hearing about some well known manufacturer that got cross ways with the BATFE for that type of thing but I am not sure if it was Fleming or not. I do know that the manufacturer of the American 180 had some problems with that also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The American 180 guys spent more time filling out forms rather than manufacturing...

The old American 180 guys filled out a bunch of Form 2s for stuff they had not yet manufactured before the 5/19/86 deadline. That was verboten. G-men came snooping and wanted to see the non-existent receivers. Doh!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts