1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to purchase a suppressor to help my grandkids start into shooting more comfortably with less noise. Along with less noise disturbs other less as courtesy, I might have fun too. Nothing real unusual just pick one of the local retailers and make my choice. Very basic model for shooting dirty .22 ammunition.

Today I learned my local CLEO no longer signs off. OK, fine I'll simply switch and have the county CLEO sign off. Wrong, same issue in that department.*
Current options are:
A revocable trust, a limited liability corporation, or try and convince them to change department policy.

I'm open to suggestions based on experience. Ranting about rights, laws, and emotional outbursts won't accomplish anything. Wondering if there is anyway to tie in the media with the current resentment and distrust of law enforcement to advantage. Of course getting anything positive from the media related to firearms is also probably dreaming.

*From the Eau Claire County website: Sheriff Ronald Cramer quote: it is an honor and privilege to serve the citizens.......hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Go LLC, that way all the owners of the company can use the can, not just you. I learned that in my first form 1 SBR, now I am looking to have it transferred to my LLC for $200 :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
I thought with a trust you can add people that can have possesion the item. Am I wrong?
I just completed my trust yesterday.

With the LLC you may have to file tax forms annually.
Wally

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Trust can be a real advantage. I plan to do mine before the new year if I can get a second. Seems like 99% of those in your position are going trust, however the trust rules MAY be changing. So it would be in your best interest to do this asap! ATF is trying to require CLEO sign off on trusts too.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I have a number of NFA items on a trust. Minimal cost to have an attorney set it up and then nothing more is required. No fees, no tax filing, no tax returns. Keep in mind if you have an LLC you may need to file federal tax returns annually, and what is going to happen in the future regarding tax laws? They can change with the stroke of a phone and a pen as we know all too well.

I really can't see any advantage of an LLC over a trust.

And I second the suggestion of getting your butt in gear. They really might require CLEO signoffs on trusts in the future.

·
Registered
508 Posts
You can have as many trustees on a trust as you want and all can posses the firearms. No tax forms/ tax id numbers as a LLC would require. I believe LLC's would have to file tax returns regardless of income or loss. Fed's tend to get real pissy when people don't file tax returns when they are supposed to.

P.S. Currently 5 months from check cashing to NFA paperwork arrival for a new trust. New toy tomorrow!

Steve

118 Posts
Not going to look it up for you, but I think you can also get a judge in your jurisdiction, DA, or state police to sign as well. Look up the ATF guidance.

You can have as many trustees on a trust as you want and all can posses the firearms. No tax forms/ tax id numbers as a LLC would require. I believe LLC's would have to file tax returns regardless of income or loss.
LLC rules vary by state. Most states require some sort of business registration form and possibly a fee every year (or 2 or 5 or 10). Some require a form on your tax return whether the LLC made money or not. Regardless, all are simple if there is no money. Check with your lawyer or CPA, but I would make the LLC personal (single partnership) and disregarded entity (not corp).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts