Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice 1928 colt WC M35 Tripod on GB, Auction # 525957571

Not mine and I do not know the seller.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ya I saw that. Looked nice. Too bad it had the argintina data plate. A bit pricy but then again there hard to to find. Too bad shipping will eat you alive.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Ya I saw that. Looked nice. Too bad it had the argintina data plate. A bit pricy but then again there hard to find. Too bad shipping will eat you alive.
The "01" serial number prefix on the right elevator plate indicates that this is an Argentine manufacture item.

The Argentine data plate is pretty nice. It is superfluous as to origin as we already know that from the right elevator plate. When you add a leather leg strap you're going to need the data plate to hold it in place anyway.

With all this said, who cares? This is a nice tripod and the current price isn't bad either. Did anyone notice it has Colt manufactured traverse stops?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I would say that, as difficult as it has become to find these, a nice pod like this one is well worth investing in. I haven't looked at the auction or price, but unless one just has to have a genuine Colt made pod, for most just any M35 pod will get the job done. A lot of people have Argentine made 1928 guns too. I may have the snob attitude myself, and was lucky to get a nice Colt pod ten years ago. But these are so often mixed parts anyway, it almost doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I would say that, as difficult as it has become to find these, a nice pod like this one is well worth investing in. I haven't looked at the auction or price, but unless one just has to have a genuine Colt made pod, for most just any M35 pod will get the job done. A lot of people have Argentine made 1928 guns too. I may have the snob attitude myself, and was lucky to get a nice Colt pod ten years ago. But these are so often mixed parts anyway, it almost doesn't matter.
Exactly. My ersatz '28 Colt is right at home on a jmann renovated Argie M35 tripod. Witness the "01" serial number prefix.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I saw that. Looked nice. Too bad it had the argintina data plate. A bit pricy but then again there hard to to find. Too bad shipping will eat you alive.
I think it is very fairly priced in that condition. I would hazard a Colt marked one in that condition would easily go for $1,850 - $2,000. Maybe $130 for shipping ain't cheap but it will cost some where around that for any M35 tripod you need to have shipped. My opinion only but if I didn't already have one of these, I would take it in a minute. Yes, two years ago before OOW started selling the 1928 Colt parts kits they were closer to a $1,000.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Dan--
I really like your 28 Colt and M35 tripod. The tripod has the same number as my badge!!:D
--fjruple
Thank you for the compliment. My badge must be a repro as it has no serial number engraved on it. Plus, it's all in English, not Spanish.

·
Registered
754 Posts
tripod shipping

$150 shipping is not bad, I shipped my 1917 tripod to maui from Chicago. broke it down into three packages and put it in my luggage. when I got to maui I found three little notes, inspected by tsa. they must have been scratching their heads on that one.- stan

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Where is a good place to get my right plate engraved sorta like yours. I'm building a 1928 with one of Halos plates.
You need to contact Rollin, i.e. Lucky#13. He can handle that for you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Agreed, if I didn't finally find mine about a year ago I would be all over this like a salt water croc on and American tourist

1 - 13 of 13 Posts