1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this board is my main advisory support system, I always seek advice here first.
I am in need of a night vision setup. Is it best to get the goggle style or something mounted directly on the firearm. And any recommendations for an entry level device.
Thanks in advance.
Dr D

Illigittimi non corborundum

·
Registered
187 Posts
check your state laws first, in the PRK (People's Republik of Kalifornia) it's illegal to mount night vision to any firearm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A very nice INEXPENSIVE nv (gen1) monocular is made by Bushnell. Look up Bushnell NV at http://www.opticsplanet.com They have demo units for a very good price. You have make a plate from 12ga steel that uses the tripod mounting hole on the monocular (slightly off center) and a steel scope ring milled flat to be able to mount the scope so it co-witnesses the red dot. you also have to use a red dot optical sight that is NV compatable (Eotech 551, which low-and-behold opticsplanet sells) or you will burn a spot on you scope. This setup will give you a good system to start with. During the day you can take off the monocular and use the red dot normally. Of course, you need a weaver rail for the whole setup to have enough room on the top of your rifle.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. I had not thought of the legal implications. Appreciate the reminder.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
dghattierdc said:
Thanks for the information. I had not thought of the legal implications. Appreciate the reminder.

Yep, eat the wrong "color" burrito in California and fart wrong - then your butt is in JAIL. So, NO mounting on your gun!!!

I have one of the Gen 1 "premium" tubes from NightOwl (a monocular) and it works MUCH better than I expected. These units are Russian tubes and ALL of them appear to have "dirt" on the internal tube screen. Fortunately, mine was lucky as it only exhibits a single "clod" of crap and it's near the edge (periphery) and is one of the best units I?ve ever seen (everyone has to get ?lucky? sometime).

If you can possibly do it, try to arrange a test of the unit you want to buy ? but understand that it has to be DARK and not just using the ?pinhole? optic cap that?s supplied with the scope.

Gen 2 or 3 units are said to be WAY better (I can't say), but I do know that the price scales with quality so expect to open your wallet accordingly?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Even the GEN 3.5 has "dirt" - part of the manufacturing proces. The one I checked out was $3,500. Batteries last 60 hours ,and the tube is supposed to go 20,000 hrs. Vision was 20/20, more of a yellowish color that turns shades of gray as the tube gets more use- making it even better. You really have to look through one to really appreciate just how clear ,and good it really is compared to a lesser tube. Prices should come down as production increases. Check out some of the night pictures he took on his web site.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks, now all I have to do is find a geiger counter! Remember when microwave ovens first came out, they said the same thing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I found one in a box of stuff that a man had. I originally thought it was one of the m1 cabine cases for the folding stock rifles. It is huge with a rubber eye piece. it mounts on what looks like an ak type mount. it has russian markings on it. he told me it worked until the battery went dead. Does anyone know what it might be and where i could come up with an obsolete battery?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do you still have the old battery? You may be able to tell what voltage it is from some markings. The size of the battery doesn't matter; too small and it will only run for a short time, and too large and it will just be heavier to lug around. The voltage is the key, once you get that, you can get it running again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
"Good" and "Cheap" don't go together in night vision. One of the better deals out there is the AN/PVS-4, and it is a 2nd Gen device. Runs about $1200 if you look around, and it can be upgraded to Gen3 if you hit the lottery one day. I have one set up with an ARMS throw lever mount that will attach to any 1913 standard rail.

·
Registered
454 Posts
autodoc said:
check your state laws first, in the PRK (People's Republik of Kalifornia) it's illegal to mount night vision to any firearm.

.......What section and code is that, Doc ? When I unsaddled 4 years ago, the F&G Code prohibited hunting with night vision devices that projected IR light, but not the passive kind such as PVS-14's. Fourt years is a long time.......got the code section ? DD:confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok. i got it in hand and will try to describe it as best i can. it is grey and probably 18+ inches long. has the the russian hammer cicle and star. has the russian writing which my computer doesnt do it looks like "BblKn" "RPkOCTb" "CETKN" "1nH58" the R's and N's are written backwards. it is built on a ak type mount. The front lens cap says "3AKP" "OTKP" it has several dials which read nEB CTn nPAB. BHN3 CTn BBEPX. AK74. its in an green yellow burlap bag with leather tabs and a stap. it has 2 pockets for extra batteries. the battery looks like a d shaped battery but it unscrews to reveal 6 or more lithium round digital camera looking batteries. the d shaped case is maked with a plus at the top of it. the batteries are marked with somekind of upside down bulls head followed by -0,55c and in the middle is what looks like 2 people on thier knees holding up a crwon or a lamp. then there is a plus sign under them followed by 1193. any info is much appreciated. the man told me i could have it if i could get it to work. I dont know what it is, what its for, what type of batteries it takes or how much its worth. thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dave D. said:

.......What section and code is that, Doc ? When I unsaddled 4 years ago, the F&G Code prohibited hunting with night vision devices that projected IR light, but not the passive kind such as PVS-14's. Fourt years is a long time.......got the code section ? DD:confused:

I am NOT a lawyer, but I pulled this off of CA DOJ website, CA Penal Code 468.

Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his possession a sniperscope shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both such fine and imprisonment. As used in this section, sniperscope means any attachment, device or similar contrivance designed for or adaptable to use on a firearm which, through the use of a projected infrared light source and electronic telescope, enables the operator thereof to visually determine and locate the presence of objects during the nighttime. This section shall not prohibit the authorized use or possession of such sniperscope by a member of the armed forces of the United States or by police officers, peace officers, or law enforcement officers authorized by the properly constituted authorities for the enforcement of law or ordinances; nor shall this section prohibit the use or possession of such sniperscope when used solely for scientific research or educational purposes.

I personally dont want to go to court to explain the different between a Starlight scope and an Infa Red Scope. My pocket book isnt deep enough to fight the battle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts