1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here. :)

I am VERY new to the belt fed arena. My loving wife got me a 1919a6 Semi Auto for our 10th anniversary as it has been a bucket list gun for me. Needless to say I am stoked!

Now for the newbie questions:

As far as head spacing. I purchased the gun pre-built from Ice House. The gun seems to be in perfect shape and I know he test fires them all prior to shipping. However, If I don't mess with the barrel, do I need to mess with head spacing? Do I need to head space for every different type of ammo that I use?

Next, links. So, embarrassingly, I got a can of ammo in preparation for this, but it came pre-linked with the wrong type of belt. I'm assuming its for M60 and not the 1919 links. No biggie, I can order more links and Ice House sent me a good bit for me to have fun with while waiting for shipping. However, I am coming up short on the correct orientation and proper linking procedure. Rather than making an assumption, I would like to request a sanity check on what I have done so far, so that if I need to redo it, I can: Is this what the finished product should look like?

Lastly, any special procedure to loading the gun in terms of orientation of the links/ammo (other than bullet pointing toward hole lol). Should I always start with a single link, double link, should it be facing round part up (like my picture) or chain up, or does any of that matter?

Thanks again for anyone who can answer some or all of these questions.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome in. PLEASE check the headspacing videos we have on the site. There is an "in gun" process (if you have the GI barrel catch) which allows for the HS to be changed with a small screwdriver OR... the out of gun process which is done with the actual live ammo and involves removing the barrel extension and bolt and head spacing it (as per that specific method).

You WILL need accessorites for it.
1. a plate linker. Ohio Ordinance works made a great one for a while and work very well (if you can find one) (if you can't I have a friend that makes a linker out of plastic for the plate and is a bit cheaper) PM me.
2. The BSM (Base shop manual) Also available hereabouts. Will show you complete schematics and how to assemble/disassemble etc.
3. A good set of spare parts
4. Links ( a few hundred to a few thousand depending on how much you intend to shoot.
5. AMMO. LOTS and LOTS of AMMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome in. PLEASE check the headspacing videos we have on the site. There is an "in gun" process (if you have the GI barrel catch) which allows for the HS to be changed with a small screwdriver OR... the out of gun process which is done with the actual live ammo and involves removing the barrel extension and bolt and head spacing it (as per that specific method).
Unfortunately, (Unless I am looking at the wrong area) the 1919a4 videos are mainly all showing as "Video unavailable" on YouTube now. Looks like they were fairly old, so youtube may have deleted them.

If they are not in the 1919a4 videos portion of the forum, my apologies. I will keep looking and searching.

In terms of the linker, I'd be interested. The ones in the picture that I posted were done by hand, are they out of spec?

·
Registered
87 Posts
No they look good. I have an Iron Creations linker and it works great as well links 20 at a time. He makes them for 762, 30-06, and 762x54r. Just google Iron Creations 1919 and it will bring up his site. Also starter tabs are nice to have and make loading a little easier they are usually available on E Bay or GB. Welcome to the addiction. There is a member on here selling a 7.62x39 conversion as well if he has any left that helps to cut down on the cost per round to shoot. Have Fun!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unfortunately, (Unless I am looking at the wrong area) the 1919a4 videos are mainly all showing as "Video unavailable" on YouTube now. Looks like they were fairly old, so youtube may have deleted them.

If they are not in the 1919a4 videos portion of the forum, my apologies. I will keep looking and searching.

In terms of the linker, I'd be interested. The ones in the picture that I posted were done by hand, are they out of spec?
Congrats on the gun and if you don’t want to dump the money or space on the plate linker a member on here by the name of 702labs I believe makes a amazing single loader which you can easily take to the range if need be. I definitely vouch for it I was one of the first to receive it and I can crank out a 250 round belt in just a few minutes as long as there’s no distractions. But definitely learn how to headspace correctly, after every range trip i remove the barrel for ease of cleaning and to keep myself familiar with how to set it up.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts

Here is the headspace video, look under 1919a4 building section

Greg

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Welcome...!! Good to ask questions...rather than make mistakes that cost time,money and may result in injury to you or the weapon. We are here to help and share our vast knowledge base among our dedicated members. Don't hesitate to join in our discussions,as we all learn by sharing our life experiences in the shooting sports and belt-fed weapons in particular. And...if you reload your own ammo...let us know how things are in your neck-of-the-woods for reloading and ammo availability.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Welcome-- Make sure you watch the rod of death video. It can save you an eye or worst. That Main spring rod can come out of the breech bolt with a lot of force.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts