1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jon, Would you give me some tips on how to restore my 1928 loader to look like yours? Thanks for any help you can offer. I greatly appreciate it.

Jon's 1928 Loader

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
57, I know you're a hands on guy and probably want to do it yourself, but have you thought about having OOW do it? They do a beautiful job on the '18.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Restoring a 1928 Colt loader...

Strat....After looking at Jon's machine it seems the only difference is that the brass parts have been cleaned and polished. The hopper,top cover,upper arm, and the handle have all been given a good polish job. The other parts have what looks like a black paint on them. Not too difficult....just strip,clean and repaint and polish. Sounds like a good Sunday's work....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
L999here has it about right. I got the thing from OOW in pretty ratty shape - about like yours. I cleaned the paint off of the brass parts and then used tripoli, a buffing compound that is mildly abrasive, then used jeweler's rouge. Buffing supplies can be purchased from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply in Albuquerque, NM. Of course I took the loader apart and cleaned everything and then oiled it. If you got your loader from OOW and it has been modified for .308 there is a spacer that is needed in the hopper. I have a few left if you need one, made out of resin.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Jon, did you repaint the green part? If so do you have the paint source and color/number maybe?

Also, since it's a main feature, how did you clean the nameplate so well and retain the black background? I can't tell from the photo, are the letters raised to where you could tape it off and paint the whole tag black and then sand the top off the letters to make the brass lettering prominent?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nosegunner said:
L999here has it about right. I got the thing from OOW in pretty ratty shape - about like yours. I cleaned the paint off of the brass parts and then used tripoli, a buffing compound that is mildly abrasive, then used jeweler's rouge. Buffing supplies can be purchased from Rio Grande Jewelry Supply in Albuquerque, NM. Of course I took the loader apart and cleaned everything and then oiled it. If you got your loader from OOW and it has been modified for .308 there is a spacer that is needed in the hopper. I have a few left if you need one, made out of resin.

Nosegunner, Thanks for the tips. What did you use to strip the paint off?

I'd love to get one of the resin .308 spacers from you. I'll shoot you an email.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loboslanding said:
57, I know you're a hands on guy and probably want to do it yourself, but have you thought about having OOW do it? They do a beautiful job on the '18.

I think it should be pretty easy. If I can find something that will strip the paint off the brass parts, then a few hours of polishing should do it.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
That should look really nice. Pls post pics when you're done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts