1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a hip replacement done recently [mid October], and it went very well. It was a continuous struggle to get everything scheduled so as to NOT miss gun deer season here, but we managed to get it all scheduled and put together. Hunting has been my love for nigh unto 45 years here, and I have only missed one hunt in all that time. But now, after about two weeks into healing, an infection developed which required me to go in and get opened up all over again this past Saturday, and flushed out. Doc said it was shallow, and should not be to hard to treat with intervenes anti-bio tics, so my hope was still there to get out into the woods and hunt. Unfortunately, Medicare, and consequently my secondary insurance, would not cover in home treatments [Doc called them "in hunting cabin" treatments - he's a great guy! :D]. After some serious negotiating and side stepping, the people at the hospital where the surgery was done [ almost 35 miles away from my home] managed to get me transferred to a network in Milwaukee for the out patient treatments. Otherwise that would have been some serious travel time and half-a-day time slots for the treatments. I am grateful for that for sure!

So anyhow, I am now diminished to daily treatments for two weeks at a nearby facility, and will be forced to miss the entire 2015 deer season. :mad::mad::mad:

On the other hand, my hip feels great, and I might be able to maneuver around KC again, and all other activities should improve exponentially in the future, so......I guess it is not all bad. Still - I felt obligated to rant about it somewhere, and since I am not on facebook or twitter, this was my only option. Sorry guys.........:tongue:

Good luck to all my fellow Wisconsinites heading into the woods this gun deer season!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
That sucks man! Well if you are up to it we have handicapped hunting around here! Since we are full of liberal Government employees who could never handle a gun let alone kill Bambi with it... we have tons of deer. Just bring a truck with a good bumper and you can get as many as you want! Just go for a nice drive and don't hit the brake!

50941cdda6c84.preview-620.jpg

However part of me feels like you are just not being inventive enough! :)

6709968.jpg

Around here we kill more Humans than deer! I would bet my life savings there have not had 305 deer killed in Baltimore City this year! Can't say that about killed people...

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Up in northern Michigan a drive in the country with a case of beer and a buddy is called a game of "Beer & Smear". :rofl:
Now you know where those big red spots in the back roads come from. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Well that sucks really sorry to hear about this Brass but I do look forward to seeing you at the creek again brother :D

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Hey Terry, this is what we are all here for, brother! I am sorry for your lost hunting season, but it sounds like you will be better than ever when you get healed up. We definitely need to see you again at KCR, my friend. Meanwhile get yourself well and keep us all up to date. You can vent here any time! :D

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Hey Terry, this is what we are all here for, brother! I am sorry for your lost hunting season, but it sounds like you will be better than ever when you get healed up. We definitely need to see you again at KCR, my friend. Meanwhile get yourself well and keep us all up to date. You can vent here any time! :D
That sucks about losing out on this hunting season. When you get to the O.R, remind the surgeon to be careful not to spill bong water in it this time.
The guy that delivered my last son was probably semi-plowed. Smelled him from across the room. :confused:
:mad:
Get better soon!

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for the encouraging words guys. I'm pretty sure I will get over my frustration, and the hip is doing quite well. It's just the 30 days of continuous driving each day to the hospital for the darn IV treatments. [ Yes - I was informed yesterday that they increased the treatment times from 14 days to 30 days ] :(

Makes it virtually impossible to go anywhere for more than 6 hours. Looks like I'll have lots of time to tinker with some projects here. I'll post pics if I manage to do anything worthy of posting. :D

·
11,839 Posts
there is a pill that is able to swap out for IV antibiotics. I know because that was something i needed a year ago when i had a bone infection.

it was super expensive but insurance finally covered it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Inquire about a PIC line. This allows the same treatment without going to the hospital. You can use a portable pump for continuous or self injection a few times a day. Way more convenient and just as effective. Might save your hunting season. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well that might be true Rory, but the Infectious Disease Unit that co-ordinates with my Orthopedic surgeon ruled out the oral medication in my case, and insisted on the IV method. Whatever the cultures grew in the lab, they were convinced this was nothing to play with and wanted to get the antibiotics in close and thorough . Apparently they are worried about metal contact and the hip unit itself being contaminated and needing removal and replacement again. Not something I'd be even remotely interested in going through for a third time.

I've been fighting an uphill battle since June 1st trying to get all this stuff in order so I'd be healed up by Nov 20th, and even after some serious setbacks, I argued, begged, and pleaded until they moved a lot of things up and ahead of schedule, just to accommodate my wishes and needs. To bad the final nail in the coffin [probably poor choice of words?] was an infection that brought everything to a halt. Up to that point, I was ready and willing to move into the woods for 10 days.

Trust me, if there was a way to get out of these clinical treatments I would have found it and taken it. I

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Inquire about a PIC line. This allows the same treatment without going to the hospital. You can use a portable pump for continuous or self injection a few times a day. Way more convenient and just as effective. Might save your hunting season. Good luck!
That was our plan until Medicare denied any coverage, and consequently my secondary insurance followed suit and denied any at home treatment costs. Pissed me off, cause until Medicare kicked in, it would have been covered at 80% as I understand it, while they were my primary insurer. That really sucked and got me angry. However - you can't win em' all. I've learned already this whole medial health care business is freakin' stupid and ridiculous when it comes to common sense and patient care. It DOES make money for them though......

But that's another rant, lol.:D

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Sure hope you get this sorted out well, until then prayers are with you. Do ANYTHING you can to be on the medical people's good side!!! Sodas by the case, pizza for the night shift, nice chocolates in your room. I know, I know, you're not an in-patient right now, but you get the hint. Kiss a**e* if you have to. Reader's Digest did a story on "50 things your nurse won't tell you."

http://www.rd.com/health/conditions/50-secrets-your-nurse-wont-tell-you/

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure hope you get this sorted out well, until then prayers are with you. Do ANYTHING you can to be on the medical people's good side!!! Sodas by the case, pizza for the night shift, nice chocolates in your room. I know, I know, you're not an in-patient right now, but you get the hint. Kiss a**e* if you have to. Reader's Digest did a story on "50 things your nurse won't tell you."

http://www.rd.com/health/conditions/50-secrets-your-nurse-wont-tell-you/

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Yeah - well I wish you would have warned me 4 days ago Gary :) I managed to tell off and ridicule at least two nurses during my 3 day stay over the weekend. Seems like they all want to be chiefs, and not a single one [well - in all fairness there were a couple ] of them knew their keester from a hole in the ground. Irritated the living heck out of me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts