1919 A4 Forums banner

Nova Tupperware Party -- The Final Roster

25K views 139 replies 28 participants last post by  GWR1 
#1 ·
**********UPDATED***********UPDATED***********UPDATED********UPDATED*************UPDATED***********

We're cooking along toward the big day of Saturday, June 10th, for the NoVa Tupperware Party! I'm getting to feel like an eight year-old kid the week before Christmas. We need to get a final roster posted here of those who expect to be here, and the equipment they will be bringing that we are so depending upon to make this build a success. The organic pork for the slow-cooked, pit smoked barbecue is marinating now, I'm "experimenting" with the baked beans, (I don't use receipes) and we'll have coleslaw and potato salad with supper, iced tea, Cokes, Dr. Pepper, and of course, good ol' reverse osmosis (purified) water. We will probably begin setting up around 8AM or earlier, but we won't begin doing anything noisy until about 9AM because of the closeness of the neighbors. If anyone wants to show up for breakfast -- scrambled eggbeaters, wholewheat toast with huckleberry jam, multigrain pancakes with pure maple syrup, maybe, and STRONG frenchroast coffee -- which would be around 7 AM, let me know on this thread. We'll work into the evening 'til everyone's satisfied they've had enough! WILL ANYONE BE COMING FRIDAY NIGHT, OTHER THAN LOBO?

Good suggestion from Lobo, who will also be here: If you have a parts set from OOW, or other source, with the pieces of the RHSP still attached, you might go ahead and remove that before you come to the build, if you can. Also, clean the gunk off the parts with your Simple Green, if you have the time and capability.

IN ADDITION TO POSTING ON THIS THREAD IF YOU WILL BE ATTENDING, let us know if you will be bringing either a BLAST CABINET OR COMPRESSOR. We absolutely need MORE cabability here! We had two guys over today (Sunday) and it took between 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. each for beadblasting, without doing the internals -- which don't really need to be done. It's easy to see what we're up against. If you are going to need a compressor and/or beadblast cabinet in the near-term future anyway, why not buy it now and bring it with you! We'll get by, with whatever equipment we have, but "the more the merrier!" We have 4 gallons of Brownell's manganese park solution now that's been cooked up today and will do another 4 gallons tonight or maybe tomorow.

In addition, here is a partial list of things it would be helpful, or necessary, for one to bring:

--Parts set, RHSP, rivets -- necessary (Watchers, students, helpers w/o parts are WELCOME!)
--Milled internals, trigger/sear parts -- helpful, but not necessary
--5 gallon bucket for your parts -- helpful
--3 cans of spray Brakecleaner -- necessary, 20oz. size if possible.
--Spray bottle of Simple Green cleaner -- necessary
--Ball pein hammers -- helpful
--BFH -- helpful
--Rubber mallet -- helpful
--Anvil -- WE STILL NEED A COUPLE MORE (Ask the railroad before you bring a 12" piece of track!)
--Letter/number punch set -- helpful
--Folding Workmate workbench -- We could use several more, and you need one for your shop or closet anyway! -- Get one and bring it!
--Floor mount drill press -- we have one, bring one or a benchtop drill press, if you have it.
--Drill bits -- 3/16", 11/32", 9/16", 5/8", #7, #13, #14, "R" -- We have some, but can probably always use more. I have a Drill Doctor for resharpening.
--Countersinks -- helpful
--Bench grinder -- helpful
--Large C-clamps -- helpful
--Angle grinder and discs -- helpful
--Electric hand drill and 3M grinding discs -- helpful
--Demel tool and bits -- helpful
--Safety Glasses -- helpful
--Small propane/Mapp Gas/oxygen tanks for handheld torch -- helpful
--One handled lug wrench for shroud removal -- Necessary, I DO NOT HAVE ONE!
--Gun oil -- helpful
--Tanker's bucking bar set -- have TWO now, need others
--Hearing protection -- Not necessary, but if you don't wanna' be deaf next year, bring your electronic earmuffs!
--Impact driver -- helpful, I have one, I think, so bring another if you have it

Those things listed above as "Necessary" means, either we have NONE, or you'll need to bring this expendable item.

"Helpful" means either we already have this item, or one doesn't absolutely need it to complete one's build, but that it would be handy to have for others to use.

If you can suggest anything you think will help us with this build party, PLEASE POST IT HERE -- more riveting suggestions, equipment needed, processes, etc. We already have an 8"x8"x40" s/s park tank, 3 burner stovetop, seasoned Brownell's manganese park solution, one blast cabinet with alox grit, assorted tools, workbench, bits, rivet setting bits, 27 gallon air compressor, h.d. anvil, 6" vise, 12'x12' canopy for the concrete driveway, Tanker's bucking bar set (2), center punch transfer for locating cartridge stop, several fire extinguishers, music wire, shroud screws, pintle bolt adapters, lots of earplugs, and what else...?

In anyone does not have road directions, contact me off-board for details. Any other general questions, post here. POST HERE AT ANY RATE, SO WE HAVE A "FINAL ROSTER, and details of necessary equipment you are bringing!"
Thanks to all for helping get this party on the road -- especially to LOBO, for volunteering his assistance!!!

Also, and not directly pertinent to the build -- wood for the pit smoker. I have enough for the Tupperware Party, to have the barbecue finished by the time we begin. But, buying this stuff at the grocery or hardware store is out of sight, pricewise. If you have any pieces of GREEN fruitwood limbs, about 4" in diameter and 2' to 3' long, I'd appreciate a SMALL donation of smoker wood. Keep in mind that I wouldn't want a bunch, as it has to be stored inside, probably in the basement, but if you have access to some apple, pear, peach, plum, cherry, alder, hickory or mesquite (yeah, like who's coming from Texas!) wood, I'd appreciate your bringing some along for the next time I fire up the smoker. I slice the wood up with my chop saw into "hockey pucks" and they're great -- smoke long and slow compared to the chips and chunks that one gets in a bag.

See less See more
#4 ·
gwr....the park solution should be done in this order; heat water to 140 degrees,add park solution,bring temp up to 190 while stirring occasionally. put metal filings in coffee filter and tie it up and hang in tank swirling it around for about 5 minutes.then let it hang there for about 15. you will get white flakes and this is normal. supposed to stay at 190 for 1 hour but about 45 min will do. let tank cool off completely. solution is aged and ready for use. the manganease park solution is reusable. ive been using the same tank full for about 1 year now adding water and park solution as needed.

#5 ·
Gary, I'll be there, will contact you offline to drop off some stuff early. We can't burn daylight setting up, gotta build. What time does the gala festivities begin on Saturday? 0dark30?

#6 ·
I plan on being there. All I need to do to mine is blast and parkerize so I should be able to lend a hand to others. I still need help getting my barrel shroud on so that it lines up with the screw hole. Do you guys recommend that I parkerize everything including the shroud or just the receiver? See you there, Aaron

#7 ·
Confirmed...

I will be there and will be bringing my parts/rivets, consumables, etc. In addition I can/will bring the following:

--Ball pein hammers --
--BFH --
--Rubber mallet --
--Letter/number punch set -- 2~3 sets,
--Drill bits -- Some of the sizes requested
--Countersinks --
--Large C-clamps -- Couple of pairs
--Dremel tool and bits --
--Safety Glasses --
--Small Mapp Gas--
--Compressor --
--Blast Cabinet --

Does anyone coming have one of Plinker's Rivet Jigs and/or a shop press that has been mentioned lately as an alternative way of setting the rivets(might cut down on the compressor capacity bottleneck)?

Gary,
I'll touch base with you offline about bringing down the compressor/blast cabinet sometime mid-week, so you can set up (I want to "pre blast" my parts before next weekend).

Keyth

#8 ·
I will definitely be there.Been looking forward to this.Told my boss today that I will not be able to work next Sat. I am bringing a compressor,table w/6"vice attached,4" grinder,dremmel tool w/asst.stones and sanding attachments,air hammer w/new rivet tool,new set of bits and 60 degree chamfer from MSG,all the hand tools listed.I am sure I missed somthing but I will think of it later.See you guys there.gunut

#9 ·
I'll toss a set of tankers bucking wedges in the suitcase, but we may need more than two sets if others have some.

I'll also bring the right front cart stop locating and riveting tool.

You'll need some 11/32" drill bits for the big rivets and some dial or digital micrometers.

Don't forget your .050 to .060 x 4-5/8" long piece of music wire to make your return spring or make it before you arrive by following the tutorial on the home page.

GWR is right, you're gonna need as many blast cabinets and air compressors as you can come up with because that will be the bottle neck.

About half way thru the day we can take inventory on status of where all the guns are and if it looks like the blasting process is just not going to keep up then we can always concentrate on getting the guns completely built as a priority...blasting/parkerizing can always be done later.

Oh yeah, a couple of fire extinguishers isn't a bad idea.

#11 ·
Hey, I can bring a dremel, my drill bits, 90 degree countersink, propane torch, etc. I was wondering if anyone that was coming would have an extra .308 front cartridge stop. I want to fabricate one for using blanks and am interested in purchasing one. Thanks, Aaron

#12 ·
The good Lord willing, I'll be there.

What I'll bring:
Parts kit
air angle grinder
4" electric grinder
rail road track
mallet
other hammers
Mics
transfer punch set
some drill bits(I don't have large ones or countersink)
floor drill press
5 gallon bucket
brake cleaner(I will bring a case)
simple green
c-clamps
I will buy rivets on site
sand filled BUTT can (yea, I'm one of those people)
I have a somewhat small floor press I can bring if we need it????????

#14 ·
I'll be there with:
Drill Press (table top Craftsman), 7" piece of railroad track, Several punches/drifts, Vises (bench and table mount), Air Hammer (Chisel), Bits assorted, C clamps, Angle grinder and Dremels (2), Air compressor (6 gallon), Straight Edge, Micrometer and Calipers, Spray Brake Cleaner, Distilled water, Safety glasses, Facemask (do have a Gas mask, you are serving beans), Lug wrench, Piperwrench, old Springfield barrel, 5 gal bucket and assorted tin turkey & loaf pans, Workmate, Drill, and other assorted tools.

#16 ·
Yep, don't forget the countersinks.

Also guys, double check the fit of your semi rsp in the bottom plate groove before you arrive.
The groove typically has radiused corners and the semi rsp most of the time has sharp square edges which often prevents the rsp from completely seating in the groove. File or grind the sharp corners off the rsp as needed to seat it firmly...it should look like the lsp connection with no gap under it. Don't grind any off the bottom of the plate; just the corners and only for the length of the bottom plate...no need to grind the corner off where it will show in front of the bottom plate.

Also, if you have a letter and number punch set go ahead and punch your serial number, initials, name, date, etc before the build...that takes a lot of time. If you have engraving there will be a place for the serial number and to the right of that you will see "Insp" and that's where I put my initials on my guns. You can use any serial number you wish. On the inside of the rsp I stamp my first initial and last name and the date in case we ever have to grandfather our guns...I stamp it so you can see it when you retract the bolt.

If you are going to blast and park your gun then you will probably need to remove your shroud from the trunion so if you can do that before arriving it will save quite a bit of time too. If you're going to build only and park later you can leave your shroud attached.

#17 ·
Me and a friend went over to Gary's today to blast our parts so this Saturday things can hopefully go faster. Wow, it sure does take some time to blast the parts.

I only blasted the external parts, the internals look fine as they are. I first did the shroud and took my time and it looks great. Then each item after that I did quicker and quicker. Meaning I spent less and less time making them perfect because it takes a hell of a long time to blast them.

This will definately be the bottleneck unless there are more cabinets and air. Also, be prepared for a noisy time. The compressor was running 100% of the time while blasting. Its a bit noisy in the garage when running. :D

Looking forward to this upcoming Saturday.

I forgot to take my camera so no photos. I'll remember to bring it Sat.

#18 ·
loboslanding said:
Yep, don't forget the countersinks.

Also guys, double check the fit of your semi rsp in the bottom plate groove before you arrive.
The groove typically has radiused corners and the semi rsp most of the time has sharp square edges which often prevents the rsp from completely seating in the groove. File or grind the sharp corners off the rsp as needed to seat it firmly...it should look like the lsp connection with no gap under it. Don't grind any off the bottom of the plate; just the corners and only for the length of the bottom plate...no need to grind the corner off where it will show in front of the bottom plate.

Also, if you have a letter and number punch set go ahead and punch your serial number, initials, name, date, etc before the build...that takes a lot of time. If you have engraving there will be a place for the serial number and to the right of that you will see "Insp" and that's where I put my initials on my guns. You can use any serial number you wish. On the inside of the rsp I stamp my first initial and last name and the date in case we ever have to grandfather our guns...I stamp it so you can see it when you retract the bolt.

If you are going to blast and park your gun then you will probably need to remove your shroud from the trunion so if you can do that before arriving it will save quite a bit of time too. If you're going to build only and park later you can leave your shroud attached.

Please forgive me for all the pre-requisite tidbits, but with as many guns that might be built at this party, any work that can be done ahead of time will save a lot of time on Saturday.

That being said, for those that have their internals milled, check the fit of the sear in the bolt sear slot. Mfgr and milling differences can many times make for a sticky sear. It should slide up and down smoothly with no binding. If it does bind, coat the edges and top with a Sharpie marker or paint and slide it up and down in the slot and locate where it's rubbing. Take a small file and dress it down until it's smooth. Most of the time I find the problem at the top of the slot and have to file down the width at the the top of the sear and a tad on the sear rails near the top.

Check your right rear cartridge stop. There will probably be a piece of old rivet still in there. If you can, saw it off and punch it out before the build. Also, in your rivet set you will find one odd rivet that is made just for that stop, tape it to your stop so you can lay your hands on it.

Using the disassembly tutorial, disassemble all parts like the backplate, bolt, lockframe, barrel extension, etc. I've never yet disassembled the rear sight for building so you can leave it intact...the glass bead dust will blow out.

Old vitamin bottles or medicine bottles are good to put buffer disks, springs, screws, etc in.

For those that are coming to watch and fellowship, never fear, there are a couple of important tasks that you can help with. We can put someone on the bench grinder reshaping those danged square tang headspace springs (for those that want theirs reshaped) and someone bending trigger return springs. Help with bead blasting is also always appreciated. Stamping and riveting are also easier if a second pair of hands is around to steady the sideplate and receiver. It's sometimes taken three of us to get a barrel shroud off so some extra muscle is much appreciated. There will be plenty of opportunity for extra folks to pitch in with a valuable contribution here and there.

Gary indicates that no noise before 9am so with his permission, what I'd like to do is hold a little familiarization session starting around 8:30am and we'll take a parts set and walk thru the entire build process so that everyone understands the sequence and the most critical steps. At the end of the day when all is said and done, you're gonna have a good shooter, but complete success hinges on planning and understanding the process and sequence.

Things always start off a little awkward and clumsy at first, but very quickly everyone will find their nitch and hit their stride. The thing I've always enjoyed the most at one of these builds is watching the teamwork evolve and how a group of strangers with a common cause can smelt into a real team. At the end of the day you're gonna be tired, but pleased with the days events and this may be a once in a lifetime experience. Have fun.

#19 ·
Lobo, Again, MAAANY THANKS...

... for your assistance with this project. Your comments, suggestions, and involvement with this project are most greatly appreciated. Those who have worked with you know you as a valuable asset to our "fellowship of the beltfed." Those who have not yet met you will be most privileged for the experience you bring to us. I will be contacting you offline with info concerning picking you up upon your arrival Friday around noon at Dulles Airport. If you've not previously visited the NRA firearms museum, we might spend a couple of hours there on the way to our home. One of the guys who beadblasted his parts here yesterday "WORKS" at the NRA! How cool would THAT be to get together with him -- maybe an "inside look?" It'd be cool if others might get together with us Friday afternoon, but I guess SOME people have to work! I wish I was retired and rich, but unfortunately, I'm just retired. If anyone can get together with us on Friday, anytime, please post your intention here-- we might do the NRA, hike in the Manassas Battlefield a bit, look at a couple of cannons and view the countryside, and then have supper at the clubhouse around 6-7 PM. Supper there is reasonably good and not expensive, (maybe $12.) Of course, if we want to have barbecue....

Gary

#23 ·
Drill 'em...

gunut said:
I am attemting to remove the RSP rivets.I ground the heads and then center punched one and it didn't move.Do I need to drill them???? HELP!!!!gunut
I also ground them down and tried to punch them out first on my latest kit from OOW. What eventually worked was to drill them out and then use a punch to collapse the wall of the drilled rivet.

Keyth

#24 ·
Regarding the work prior to the build, i cannot get my shroud off, and was hopeing someone could help me with that part at the build party, also, i dont have a grinder, so i cannot really shape the edges on my RSP. My sear does slide up and down nice and easy though. Thanks to a good machinist. .30calmachinegunner.

#25 ·
One more question, Will there be crash space, friday night? Im comming from md, and want to be there bright and early sunday, maybe even do some blasting of parts on friday night, if there is room to crash. Just wondering, i really dont want to fight traffic sat morning in va.

Should we bring cases to cart our 1919's to our vehicles in when we goto leave?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.