1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or have others also noticed an increase in FNGs hocking their wares? No contributions, no questions, no comments, just sales. I'm a capitalist to the core, but isn't this site intended for information exchange centered on Browning machine guns? Maybe I'm too sensitive, but on the other hand I am offering a prime real estate opportunity in Florida available for sale or lease to some lucky person...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Be careful......I said something like that not too long ago and ended up as a minority thanks to a well spoken fng
I remember that....I take all for sale adds with a grain of salt, unless I know the seller or know of him. I will deal with a FNG, I am just more carefull.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I'm still a newbie so maybe I am wrong. It would seem that an effort to actually limit or prevent sales of related ( or not ) items by anyone would drive them elsewhere. At least some cool stuff shows up from time to time. If the only pages presented on the Whats New page were tech and or strictly 1919 stuff, some of it would appear very stale. I know lots of the members here have many years of dialogue invested in this site. I have used it to divest myself of all kinds of crap. Most of which I give away. Sometimes I have a tidbit of personal wisdom about my beltfed stuff or BAR stuff, but it is rare. The old core pretty much answers any questions ASAP. Just think of the one-timers as Pop-Ups, they wont last long and will disappear. Or they will actually dig it and hang around for a bit. J

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've seen several dudes pop up on other sites with 1919s or other belt fed kits trying to figure out what they have or are worth and they always get pointed here. Demonstrates how good and helpful this community is I suppose.

Now those that just pop on, dump an ad and run, especially the stores trying to score some free advertising.... not such a big fan of them.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
This subject is somewhat of a double edged sword, it is nice to have sellers on here who have been long time members and contributors but it is also good to have sellers who for what ever reason may not be able to contribute with knowledgeable posts that have quality items they need to sell. I would prefer members here to contribute but if a new member has an item to sell that can benefit the forum members and is an honest seller I welcome their posts.

As for commercial sellers popping up on here for the quick sale and free advertising as mentioned in the previous post I can do without that.

Also we should not be so quick to judge people with low post counts. A high or low post count is not a reliable gauge in determining the knowledge level of the poster. I know of some very knowledgeable people who post on various forums who have extremely low post counts because they only involve themselves in threads dealing with very specific subjects they are interested in which doesn't generate a high post count.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i've sent people here from other forums cause I know this place is one of the very few spots where one can sell rare/expensive MG stuff VS going the gunchoker route.

One thing is for sure, this place totally lacks in tirekicking. You blink and somethings gone. You see very few "well let me ask mommy first" replies. :rofl:

Best advice is to pay with a USPS MO.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there was a way to filter which postings are listed when the "What's New?" tab is clicked, that would help. I know it would help me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
well spoken fng
I suppose that's as close to a compliment as I'll get from you Bob... I'll take it!

To clarify, my position was/is not regarding whether fng's should be allowed to sell or not, but that we should be respectful to everyone in the community regardless of their time in...

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Is it just me, or have others also noticed an increase in FNGs hocking their wares? No contributions, no questions, no comments, just sales. I'm a capitalist to the core, but isn't this site intended for information exchange centered on Browning machine guns? Maybe I'm too sensitive, but on the other hand I am offering a prime real estate opportunity in Florida available for sale or lease to some lucky person...
Yes I have noticed this as well. I just learned to keep quiet if I didn't have anything "constructive" to say. :rofl:
So where is this property in Florida Dan? If it is in the southwest area I may be interested in hearing more. Feel free to PM me.
After a half century these Michigan winters are getting really old. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yes I have noticed this as well. I just learned to keep quiet if I didn't have anything "constructive" to say. :rofl:
So where is this property in Florida Dan? If it is in the southwest area I may be interested in hearing more. Feel free to PM me.
After a half century these Michigan winters are getting really old. :eek:
CaptMax
if you pay cash he also has a discount on a bridge he's selling! Buy it now & avoid the rush! Lol! Later Brian!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you pay cash he also has a discount on a bridge he's selling! Buy it now & avoid the rush! Lol! Later Brian!
I'll have my "associate" Swifty contact you offline. I'm sure something can be worked out.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Never mind Dan, I'm just a slow learner.:rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
As usual these fng questions resolve themselves. I see no reason not to let them advertise - if it stays on the up and up, no harm no foul. I definitely look at it as a contribution to the site if items offered up are of interest to other members here. Sure it may be a slight risk as times, but we all can and do recover from those issues too. Besides - this has been hashed over quite a few times already - no change was ever considered necessary. At least for now. ;)

·
Registered
799 Posts
As usual these fng questions resolve themselves. I see no reason not to let them advertise - if it stays on the up and up, no harm no foul. I definitely look at it as a contribution to the site if items offered up are of interest to other members here. Sure it may be a slight risk as times, but we all can and do recover from those issues too. Besides - this has been hashed over quite a few times already - no change was ever considered necessary. At least for now. ;)
when I was a fng I drove to brassmagnets house to buy my kit in person, he's the only member on this forum I've ever met in person! If you get a chance to meet him don't pass it up! As a former fng just my .02! Later Brian!

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
when I was a fng I drove to brassmagnets house to buy my kit in person, he's the only member on this forum I've ever met in person! If you get a chance to meet him don't pass it up! As a former fng just my .02! Later Brian!
Holy crap Brian - don't send everybody over here to my house! :eek: :eek: LOL

I remember the day well, and you are still too kind - but thanks for the nice words. ;)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I suppose that's as close to a compliment as I'll get from you Bob... I'll take it!

To clarify, my position was/is not regarding whether fng's should be allowed to sell or not, but that we should be respectful to everyone in the community regardless of their time in...
Good For You! But you're still an FNG! :lol: But at least you're an FNG that can call me an SOB in a private message! :rofl:

MG34_Dan......You can see the thread that I mentioned at http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?51199-Concerning-FNG-s. I was also concerned about FNG's "hocking their wares". Someone mentioned in that thread that this sort of issue pops up periodically. I can now see they were right. It was close but Pro-Choice won out.

And you must never pay attention to post counts, those little green reputation marks under your handle or join dates because we are all equals and MUST be treated with equal respect, according to some members. I believe at some point in time there will be some sensitivity training for violators of this unwritten policy. I'm pretty sure I'll be the first to be volunteered for the training. Be mindful of your comments or you'll end up there with me! :rofl:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
So do you prefer waterboarding, or shock therapy with TA-1s? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Good For You! But you're still an FNG! :lol: But at least you're an FNG that can call me an SOB in a private message! :rofl:

MG34_Dan......You can see the thread that I mentioned at http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?51199-Concerning-FNG-s. I was also concerned about FNG's "hocking their wares". Someone mentioned in that thread that this sort of issue pops up periodically. I can now see they were right. It was close but Pro-Choice won out.

And you must never pay attention to post counts, those little green reputation marks under your handle or join dates because we are all equals and MUST be treated with equal respect, according to some members. I believe at some point in time there will be some sensitivity training for violators of this unwritten policy. I'm pretty sure I'll be the first to be volunteered for the training. Be mindful of your comments or you'll end up there with me! :rofl:
I beg to differ with paragraph 3: To Wit: The post count AND the green thingys do matter. As an erstwhile moderator, I will put myself in charge of sensitivity training as I believe that I am the least sensitive person here and most needful of training. I will report back on my success with retraining myself. After successful self- reeducation I will call on others to do the same.

I am developing a curriculum as we speak, actually I am speaking and you are listening, but that's another matter. The main source of study is reading back issues of Playboy or some other adult male oriented publication looking for naked pictures of former FEMALE Mouseketers and not commenting on how fat they are, or seem to be.

A Certificate of Re-education certified and countersigned by myself will be issued by the Memphis College of Faith Healing and Auto Salvage Yard Management. (Disclaimer it is one of my subsidiary educational enterprises)

One does not call another person a son of a ***** unless its face to face, and you're pretty sure the other guy is unarmed which happens seldom, unless the sayer and the sayee are drunk, then all bets are off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts