1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.syracuse.com/crime/index...asy_because_hes_an_ex-cop.html#incart_m-rpt-1

This story has changed TWICE in the 10 hours since its been published. First report was much more detailed and listed charges. As soon as they find out hes a retired cop.......media frenzy! Heres the bottom line. Some guy got all pissed off in traffic, got out of his car and yanked open the door of the guy he was mad at. The occupant of the other vehicle (retired cop) shot him. The 'shooter' panicked and drove home and turned himself into the police the next day after news of a 'road rage' shooting was all over the news.

The 'shooter' was a former cop, had a pistol license. Hes been charged with reckless endangerment 2nd and has lost his permit as well as his pistols.

WHAT THE ****?? I dont care what the 'other' side of the story is......if you charge my car, beat on my window and yank my door open, Im going to empty a magazine into you. This is a no bullshit, totally level answer. Ive had years of escalation of force training, I understand the full repercussions of my actions.....someone trying to enter your car in a fit of rage should be more than enough justification for use of deadly force. But not in NY. Im so filled with contempt for the justice system here in NY and Im afraid to even carry my (legally licensed) gun anymore. Maybe I should just let a manic kill me or my wife as it beats going to jail for defending myself. **** this state and the entire legal system.

RANT OFF. Sorry for the profanity.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Question I have is if he was a retired cop, shouldn't he have reported it asap?
I would have and yes maybe got screw for it then. But I agree, If it did happen this way and he shot him for rushing his car and opening the door,
I would think a normal person would protect him or herself.
Steamer

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question I have is if he was a retired cop, shouldn't he have reported it asap?
I would have and yes maybe got screw for it then. But I agree, If it did happen this way and he shot him for rushing his car and opening the door,
I would think a normal person would protect him or herself.
Steamer
I agree that him not reporting was a huge mistake. Who knows what any of us would have done in such a situation. Its easy to second guess. But the news article is pretty clear. The guy ran up to his car, yanked open the door and started screaming. He even SAYS thats what he did. Thats what AMAZES me. This guy is on the record as saying he bum-rushed the car, started screaming and swearing, pulled the door over and THEN he gets shot....and suddenly he's the victim.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...it's the legalese...

It's a shame that a former LE would panic after a justifiable shooting. Anyone who carries a firearm daily...whether LE or private citizen...should already have their mind conditioned and be ready to face whatever comes their way. I've had to do this twice already after a 'shots-fired' incident...as a private citizen. Hope this situation turns out OK.....

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a shame that a former LE would panic after a justifiable shooting. Anyone who carries a firearm daily...whether LE or private citizen...should already have their mind conditioned and be ready to face whatever comes their way. I've had to do this twice already after a 'shots-fired' incident...as a private citizen. Hope this situation turns out OK.....
It didnt. The former LEO has been charged (or pled to) reckless endangerment 2nd degree and lost his license and had his pistols confiscated. If you have your license revoked in NY, you have next to no chance at getting it back again.

Leaving the scene of a self defense shooting is POOR judgment, but it shouldnt be a criminal act that results in consequences like that. If they wanted to make a point of him leaving the scene, they should have charged him differently. Im not a district attorney, but Im sure their are other, lesser charges they could have filed.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't think they want to file lesser charges. Charge the max and bargain it down for a plea. Saves the state money, gives the state a conviction and makes the DA or ADA look good come election time.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
My "opinion"........

A key issue to me would be "retired"........ why would ANYONE live in the hostile environment states after retiring????

Most say my family is there. If the "family" wanted to move to another state, I doubt they would discuss it with the "retiree"...... Move to a friendly state.......have them come visit once a year. More contact than that is raising your & their children all over again.....not for me!!!!

PJH

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good shoot is a good shoot. Why did the retired LEO leave the scene only to turn himself in after the story was out?

And yes, some arsehole-road-rage-douche-bag-making-his-way-into-my-vehicle-to-do-who-knows-what getting a few rounds pumped in him seems to be more than justified if I was on a jury.

Sounds like the retired LEO made the justified situation bad by leaving.

Then again, I wasn't there and I don't know all the facts. What I do know is NY hates gun owners worse than CA and I'm glad I don't live there.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I can think of a couple possible reasons why he left the scene to turn himself in the next day.

Alcohol or drugs.
Who knows now.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I can think of a couple possible reasons why he left the scene to turn himself in the next day.

Alcohol or drugs.
Who knows now.
Add lawyer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts