1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get a new o ring for the barrel by the breach to stop water from poring out?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
The traditional method is not an O-ring, but a packing string. Originally an asbestos string was used, with a bit of grease over the area. There are modern substitutes for this from companies such as McMaster Carr. That being said, O-rings have been adapted. Some methods involved a little extra lathe work on the barrel groove, but there may be something that fits without modification. Someone will come up with more specific info. But in the meantime, I am looking for the SAR magazine article with the info on the modified barrel method. Have it somewhere, and will try to post it when I can.

By the way, the front end of the barrel also needs packing to seal water in. This is just wrapped around the muzzle end before the muzzle gland is threaded in.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Been here before, in '13: http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47205-Heads-up-OOW-sale-Colt-1928-Watercooled-parts-kit-1650/page10

Here is #Post 97:

McMaster-Carr Red Silicon O-rings http://www.mcmaster.com/#silicone-o-rings/=orij83

For most barrels:
W=3/32", ID=5/8", OD=13/16"

Some barrels work better with:
W=1/8", ID=5/8", OD=7/8"

It's all about volume. If the compressed volume of the O-ring is just slightly larger than the volume of the packing groove width that it displaces, that O-ring will work very well. You don't necessarily need to fill the entire packing groove, just enough of the groove to get a nice seal. For me, the 3/32" width ones seem to work the best. Get a few of each size to play around with and see what works best for you. This will all be a great learning experience and you will become one with your gun.

The last barrel I '17 barrel I bought from OOW had a silicon O-ring already installed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Asbestos Packing should be easy to find, quite a few members on this board have a roll being shipped at this very time. Wait I here the door, I am sure that is mine now. Damn it, just more bills. Maybe tomorrow.
If you need some, I think he found a few more rolls.

Sorry, inside joke.
Dan

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Where do you put the O-rings?

Ok, someone clue me in: Where do you put the O-rings? I put two skinny ones in the groove on the gun-end, and stacked four fat ones under the "Muzzle Gland", but that just doesn't seem correct, thought it did work (mostly).

What am I looking at wrong?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts