1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some barrels some time ago and one was odd. It was identical to the normal heavy barrels except that it wasnt tapered at the end like normal. Im not sure the maker or where it came from. Any ideas?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I would think amish-bob is correct. The RZC initials are those of one of the inspectors at the General Motors plant, Saginaw Steering Gear Div. While they did not make .50 cal stuff, so far as I know, other GM divisions did. RZC may well have had a district that covered one or more of the M2HB manufacturing plants.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
The guys are correct B. for a young guy you certainly have an eye for details :thumbup: looks like us older guys have some new competition.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious, what is the weight difference between the two?

Walt
Well according to my cheap weight scale in my bathroom,( wifes head is just shaking as i do it), the apparent early barrel is 28.8 lbs and the newer barrel was 26 lbs. I could deff feel the difference when picked up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The guys are correct B. for a young guy you certainly have an eye for details :thumbup: looks like us older guys have some new competition.
I have a ton to learn, but it helps when you enjoy doing it and have others that love to help out and teach. This has become my only hobby these days. I was told to get a hobby, not my fault its expensive.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
When the 50 was fist designed in 1920 it has a smooth tapered 36" barrel, IIRC around 1938 the military finally decided to look at it for a heavy MG but changed the barrel length to 45" which it has remained all these years. A lot of good reading in Dolf's books on details such as this but yes it would most likely be pre WWII. The 36" barrels are very hard to find if not close to impossible today but I was lucky enough to score two of them NOS for the Early Colts Lucky13 and I have so all this stuff is still out there it just takes lots of contacts and digging.
Glassmountains is right that barrel is a "Seed Part" so now you have to go and find the slotted barrel support to really build a nice early example :D but you are young and have time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So if I didn't entend to build an early gun, what would be a reasonable asking price for a serviceable barrel like this. Not sure what I want to do at this point.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are intending to build a fifty I would be willing to trade a stellite barrel for this one.
Thanks for the offer, but at this point I'm still figuring out what I want to do. I'm building a 50, just not sure which route I want to go. I have several 50 barrels at this time but extras is never a bad thing. I'll keep that in mind tho.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts