1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I know there are a few tool addicts here and I thought we should start a thread with pictures for reference so we can all enjoy them. Let's see the tools kits you have picked up or assembled over the years for any of your MG's either US or foreign. This is the USGI ANM2 tool roll I just finished and the roll is D1888 which was used for the 30 cal ANM2 and also the 50 cal guns which is the next one I am going to fill. The little brass hammer was a pain to find as well as a couple of the punches but the rest are fairly common USGI tools used in many of the tool rolls and kits.
Motor vehicle Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part

Hand tool Wood Tool Rectangle Saw

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here is the correct armorer's tool roll 41-R-2734-50 as pictured in Robert Segel's book on page 45, the one pictured in the book belongs to our own Walt M. here on the forum. Most of this one is easy with the exception of the machinist hammer.
Brown Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Beige

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
WTG,Russ...!! Kudos to Rory for making this endeavor a forum topic. Other than Robert Segel's book on MG equipment,,this topic will help many of us to complete different types of tool kits and spare parts rolls.
Before Hayes Otopolick nick named me 'King of the 1917 MG Carts',I had tried to complete at least 1-1917 Machine Gun cart tool roll,as carried on the Ammunition carts. I had only a black and white photo from the original 1918 MG cart manual,as printed by the Army at Carlisle,PA. in 1918. From this photo,I was able to show it to several antique tool guys,machinists and a leather worker. Ordered canvas,as it was determined that was the material used,and the leather worker made 3-tool rolls. It took 2-yrs to complete 1-roll,,mostly from ebay and a tool collector who helped me. I sold 1-roll to another member here and completed the 2nd tool roll. One set is displayed at a local military museum. The other is displayed with the Textile Wood Entertainment Tints and shades Gas
Wood Linens Event Art Sleeve
gun,ammo and spare gun carts at military shows

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Russ why not post some place holders so you can go back later and put up more browning tools?

I have photos of tool sets for other guns, but the most requested here will be Browning and it would be great to have those on page 1.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Great post Russ now I have more to look for! Has anyone tried to put together a complete setup that was used with the pack hangers.? I have a very poor picture at home of the whole setup laid out for a 1919A2 and the chest that held the spares and a belt. Will post it later
Rectangle Wood Grey Font Art

·
Registered
771 Posts
The picture Robert displayed of the armorer tool roll showed the dowel in the sleeve so I thought that it had a sharpened spike tip but clearly its not. So what then was that purpose designated dowel rod used for? Great topic !

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the M13 tool roll done by Walt M. which was in Robert's book as well
Font Handwriting Technology Diagram Rectangle

Here is one of my M14 Field service kits, the other one is NOS NIW and in the shipping box is was originally packed in.
Wood Musical instrument Ratchet Tool Hand tool

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great post Russ now I have more to look for! Has anyone tried to put together a complete setup that was used with the pack hangers.? I have a very poor picture at home of the whole setup laid out for a 1919A2 and the chest that held the spares and a belt. Will post it later View attachment 109604
Of course you would post this Thompsongunner, I have the 1919A2 Cavalry gun and a NOS pack saddle hanger with the correct early tripod and the ammo box but I have not found the ammo box pictured with the divider in it. That is one I am working on but God only knows if I will ever complete it, but I am trying.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had a list of the contents of that chest but i can’t locate it. It also held a 100 round belt if I recall correctly. Will look for it

·
Premium Member
7,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK here is the 50 cal tool roll issued to aircrew gunners. The butterfly wrench is optional but I ordered one anyway, it is just not here yet but I can swap the picture later. The tool roll is D1888 and it was used for both the ANM2 30 cal and the 50 cal and early on they were labeled as such but I think later in the war they dropped the 30 cal and 50 cal off the printing and just labeled them D1888.

Font Motor vehicle Parallel Auto part Machine

Product Tool Material property Eyewear Font

Rectangle Beige Font Box Paper product

Reactions: Rory
1 - 20 of 42 Posts