1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my water jacket from OhioBlackSheep. For all you guys who are "thinking about buying one" let me tell you this is one fine piece of workmanship! If you don't get on board for a jacket right now you'll kick yourself when they're all gone! Air-cooled is nice but water-cooled is SWEET!!!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Water Cooled

CharlieB,

Man, I can't agree with you more! Lou has done a fantastic job with this conversion. Wait until you get the gun assembled and then you will go "bonkers"!

Just a few words, the build is the same as the 1919A4 (except conversion parts), but follows Lou's direction for assembly of the trunnion and new barrel. I had NO problems at all with my assembly and the gun runs great. I am sure you have seen my photos I posted previously, and the gun looks better in person that the photos.

"Raputin" and I did the maiden voyage with water in the jacket 2 weekends ago and my packing was perfect, no leaks at all! If anyone is interested in the least with a water cooled, this is the way to go. Lou is a perfectionist with his products and you won't be disappointed. By the, I was shooting the water cooled with one of Lou's crank units and it was SWEET!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Abwehr: Should have mine built and parked in the next week or so. I'll try to post pics of my set-up then. Charlie

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
If sombody would just come out with a nice rear sight that attaches to the top cover that would be the bees knees. Guys could then remove the old sight base while building instead of havng to do it later and re-parking.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
Give me until about the end of Summer, with a little luck. M2 Ball 1917A1 sights are coming! :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
1917 Rear Sight

Lucky#13,

Will your rear sight include the base that can be riveted to the 1919A4 top cover?

I can certainly wait till the end of summer for this since I won't be home again until that time anyway, LOL. I had planned on making a base from aluminum and using a 1919A4 rear sight base and rear sight ladder, attached to the aluminum block that would be machined to the 1917A1 contour. Your idea sounds much better, so I will put off my thoughts until you have one ready.

It sure is good having folks like you make these additions to make the water cooled gun look even better, THANKS!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
Abwehr-

I am planning on including everything from the Moveable Base up. The Fixed Base that you are referring to can be made, but the truth is that 1917 top covers are not that rare and they include the Base. Several vendors have the covers and, while I have considered acquiring some to have a complete package available from the cover on up, I then have to mark up the price I pay for that and I am not sure that makes sense. At least not in any large numbers. This is already an expensive project, let me tell you, and I am not looking to add to my upfront costs if it does not make sense. If the supply of 1917 covers dries up, then the fixed base is next! :)

Edit: By the way, I just realized I am in danger of hijacking Charlie B's thread, which was intended to salute Lou for his fine work. But Charlie and Lou know what I am up to so I hope they won't mind the accidental side track. Lou, you rock on! Let's get the water cooled movement going!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Lucky#13,

That sounds good. I will be in for one and probably make my base from aluminum so I can still use the 1919A4 Cover.

I will also modify the cover latch to appear more like the 1917A1 latch.

The gun won't be a perfect reproduction of a 1917A1, but it will look good anyway, LOL. Thanks for the info and I look forward to your project going forward.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
Yep. The only difference is the raised, Fixed Base that is riveted on for the 1917/1917A1 sight. All other dimensions are the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok, i just bought a M1917a1 top cover with fixed base, so Please add me to your list for the sights if you have one going!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
Okay, guys, I am going to try to keep track of those who are interested. I do not want to keep a formal list per se. I am going to produce enough of these that I am not worrying about selling out over night. When the time is right, I will post here and start generating more interest. Rather than keep posting on this thread, anyone who has interest should e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks to all!

-Rollin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi to all,
I picked up a 1917a1 top cover and sight base from Sarco. Condition was good. To use the cover on the 1919 I will have to mill out a small area for the feed leg. I also will have to find a extractor ramp which is removed from the top cover, yet on the ww2 type that is cast into the top cover. I will check tomorrow with Dave at Sarco.
Does anyone have a picture break-down of the sight parts?
Lucky#13, I to will be needing a sight leaf. Will that include the goody that slides up and down? Keep use posted.
Remember that all of this fun is Lou's fault!
Weasel

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
1917 water-cooled .....conversion?

OK....Let me get this straight. I can get a water jacket made by Lou,convert a 1919 kit,use the 1919 top cover and get a 1917 look-a-like? Is this basicly correct guys? Guys...? Don't look at me like that....

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,166 Posts
L999here said:
OK....Let me get this straight. I can get a water jacket made by Lou,convert a 1919 kit,use the 1919 top cover and get a 1917 look-a-like? Is this basicly correct guys? Guys...? Don't look at me like that....
LOL! Well, that's pretty close. Lou has set this up to work with the 1919 rear sight. If you want a real 1917A1 look alike, you need the 1917A1 top cover and the rear sight assembly, as well as the top plate latch. Then you need to remove the 1919 sight bracket and plug the holes.

weasel- I am not sure why you need to mill anything for the 1917 cover to work. I am not aware of anything that would require that. Mine didn't need that. The plan on the sight is to offer the complete assembly from the moveable base up. The fixed base is riveted to the cover. The moveable base is what the ladder is pinned too and the slide assembly (the goody that slides up and down) will be complete.

And I have already told Lou it's his fault.... :D

·
Registered
454 Posts
...Lou, I sent ya my trunnion and two barrels for to work the magic you do. I sent the trunnion to your home, the barrels to your work. Just so you don't get complacent. :)

....What do you mean they're not done yet. I MAILED 'EM YESTERDAY !!!!:eek:

...Strongly worded memo to follow. :mad:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Dave D,

I could have one done for you, Just ADD an Extra "O" on the end of the price and I'll make it happen:D .. The $500 will cover the cost of the jacket. The other $4500 will help me pay for the rubber room I'll be in when I finish. My Wife is already giveing me strange looks now:eek: ....Lou

1 - 19 of 19 Posts