1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seen pictures of the early wwii 1919 and 1918 ect oil cans, but never in person. picked this up for $5 at an estate sale as looked identical. no markigs that ive seen. Anyone able to confirm if this is the oilcan, or just similiar?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
That's the real deal there were two versions, one had a brass spout and cap the the later ones had a steel spout and cap.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Ww1 issue, that one was painted by an enterprising soldier. Most you find are unpainted which was way they were issued. Nice find for $5

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Nice price to find a WW I can. There are also 3rd and 4th versions, oblong, 1-3/4" wide, 3-1/4" long by 4-5/8" tall, plus screw-top spout 1-7/8" long in brass or steel, just as pictured on yours. Drab green, stenciled in light blue "LUB, OIL M.G."

They were once made a popular give-away to participants at certain 1919 gun-build parties.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Every time I see a picture of one of those I cringe a little at my own stupidity. Back a couple decades ago I was on a duck hunting trip and went in to town to get some hardware supplies with my buddies. The hardware store was having a sale. They had a box with cardboard partitions and in it were about forty of those cans (steel tip) The price was $0.25 each and I bought a total of two. At that time I thought that was one too many as I would probably never use them as oil came in disposable cans even then. Just think for a five dollar bill ai could have had twenty of them. And my buddies would have said "what the hell did you buy those for".

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Amishbob had the WWI cans (unpainted) at the creek for a very nice price, they were beautiful so if anyone needs one he is your guy :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Question on painted ones

Ww1 issue, that one was painted by an enterprising soldier. Most you find are unpainted which was way they were issued. Nice find for $5
Mine is also painted, so any that are painted are from some enterprising soldier?

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
WWI cans were unpainted WWII cans were painted the same shade green from what I have seen for what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Maybe Gatekeeper can pull the drawing for C59737 and see if painting was part of the fabrication process

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Of the dozens of these I have owned and sold/given to people, all were from the same box, all brass, and all painted. I had an earlier "banjo" oiler that was unpainted. J

1 - 11 of 11 Posts