1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
You did those by hand? Normally expect to see tool marks around the rivet heads on first time rivet jobs. How much practice forming rivets do you have? Those are damn near perfect.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Putting two together for my own use this winter using MSG rivets and Halo plates. I hope mine look anywhere near that good, and I have a 20 ton press. Have built a good many AK's but still plan on practicing with an extra set of rivets and scrap metal before attempting the real deal.

Well done!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Everyone here helped one way or another, I used one of MSG air chisel bits and my 1 inch thick welding table some scalp for bucking bars and there are some slip ups, but overall I'm happy!!!
Now to parkerize it!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah I did mess up one whole side and had to redo it!!!!
Good thing I bought the extra set of rivets!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Very nice.

You must have some experience with an Airgun.
I see no marks on the bottom plate anywhere.
And better yet No Bulges above rivet.

Pics of the Trunion Rivets ..please.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Well..........they look a lot better than mine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Those look great, let us in on the trick? Did you make your own forming tool for the air hammer? How much rivet extended above the plate before you started?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Could you please post a pic of the air tool you used? Is it an aircraft type with a teasing trigger....or a common air chisel?
Looks great.

Tirediron

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Nicely done. The rivet gun method generally takes a lot of practice to get consistent at. Did you use torch heat, or do them cold?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tool bit. MSG. Thanks
Rivets. MSG
No heat
Done with a C-P air chisel
It is not mine it belongs to one of the guys in the shop fairly$$ for air chisel (4-5) hundred I think is what he said the trigger is great on it runs circles around my snap on and old Mac tools I have

Thanks agin for everyone's input do's and don't s!!!!!!!!!
A year ago I never would have thought about trying this!!!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
They do look great but I still think you have done some rivet "dressing" before. I see you ground the trunnion rivets in two different directions, that helps fill in the edges a bit better and not leave any edge lines. I tried a cheap air chisel but after several guns I resorted to using the tool by hand and using the BFH. It was too hard for me to "roll" control that damn chisel, although the shank worked great when under hand control. I just tell myself that it ain't a Browning unless it has those little smileys left from the air chisel and tool. This is what some of my first builds have. :eek::eek::eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The air hammer made all the difference in the world!!!! Trigger is great on it if anybody wants more info on it I can get it!!!!
On the the other rivets I cut up and all bit and smoothed up for those I just got lazy and was tired of the BFH!!!!
Honest that's the first ones I have ever done!!!!!

Hope it's not the last this is bad for my wallet!!!!
2-1/2 sets first half had to grind off do over they where not flush on the inside!
That domed bit from MSG is great to!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The air hammer made all the difference in the world!!!! Trigger is great on it if anybody wants more info on it I can get it!!!!
On the the other rivets I cut up and all bit and smoothed up for those I just got lazy and was tired of the BFH!!!!
Honest that's the first ones I have ever done!!!!!

Hope it's not the last this is bad for my wallet!!!!
2-1/2 sets first half had to grind off do over they where not flush on the inside!
That domed bit from MSG is great to!
If those are your first your off to a great start! Don't quit now when your on a roll. Maybe soon you'll be riveting a 1917a1, Vickers, and a Maxim gun. You do have nice metal finishing skills.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts