1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time it's pleasure trip...sort of. Going to Richmond,VA for the Sons of Confederate Veterans Reunion. Request any local folks give me a sit/rep and some eyes-on of the local folks. Have heard that the new black panthers and #blacklivesmatter intend to 'disrupt' our International meeting. Because VA now honors all states license to carry,have advised members to do so. Because there are wives and children who attend these events,I hope there are no confrontations....anywhere. However,it does not bode well for anyone who intends to confront or assault any SCV members. By design,we attend these functions...most of us,anyway...in a suit and tie. I'd hate to get my 'hush-puppies' dirty or my sear-sucker suit....LOL.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hope the rain stays away the rest of this trip for you. If ya'll catch any of those "people" defacing the statues, dispense good ole' confederate justice to them with extreme prejudice.
I live in Fredericksburg, it's only about an hour up I95 from Richmond. Great battlefields; Fredericksburg (x2), Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania Court house, if you get a chance you should come up and have a look around.
Fred

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Just keep in mind Hollywood cemetary is in a poor neighborhood. Pay your respects to Charles Seton Fleming while you are there, 2nd Florida Inf. He is on the left of the one path heading up the hill to one of the Presidents resting places. A simple soldiers headstone for a man wounded 3 or 4 times in Battle, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Led the Florida Bde on Picketts charge Gettysburg after the unit had made same charge day before. Highest casualties percentage wise. Entered battle with 200, came out with about 23. Was given order for suicide charge at Petersburg. Bid a tearful farewell to his fellow officers and turned his personal effects to them to get back to family and did his soldiers duty and led his men forward.....

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...made it OK...

Took a bit of driving....13 1/2-hrs,3-stops,lots of 'construction-zones' and a bit of rain. Mayor of Richmond just put a 27'x53' USA flag on the city office bldg.,a nice touch,as he stated for the news people that it should unite us. Lots of flap over the Confederate flag...many folks standing and supporting their heritage. Apparently,the Sons of Confederate Veterans Reunion is being held near Midlothian...15+miles from down town Richmond. Hope there are no problems...will advise....

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Enjoy the Museum of the Confederacy while you are there. Spectacular collection.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...no problems

Just a short up-date on the Son's of Confederate Veterans Reunion in Richmond,VA. The convention was actually held in Midlothian,VA and was about 10-miles outside Richmond. The County Sheriff took the power he has...by law...and protected the entire event. There were no protesters,no signs,no acts of vandalism...nothing. There were at least 2-County squad cars visiable at all times and 2 or 3 uniformed personal 24/7. Everyone I saw was armed...even the ladies. VA law is similar to IN law and they honor every license to carry concealed. Excellent venue,many historical sites,cordial folks and pleasant surroundings. Not my first time in 'Old Dominion' and certainly not my last. God Bless the South....!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts