1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to replace the heater mat/abrasion strip on a Blackhawk tail rotor today. I bonded it on and then "clamped" it in place with the vacuum bag. KevinT

Vehicle Naval architecture Boat

·
Registered
287 Posts
We always just used a lot of tape to hold them to the tail paddles while the adhesive cured. Our main rotor blades rarely had the abrasion strip fail.

Gah I so hated changing the elastomeric bearings on the tail paddles. I could always find some electronic gripe to work on when that job popped up! :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We always just used a lot of tape to hold them to the tail paddles while the adhesive cured. Our main rotor blades rarely had the abrasion strip fail.

Gah I so hated changing the elastomeric bearings on the tail paddles. I could always find some electronic gripe to work on when that job popped up! :D
I have to remove the bearings for inspection. Some are really stuck with primer others almost fall out. I was smart enough to ring out the replacement heater mat before bonding it on. That would have sucked if it was bad! KevinT

·
Registered
287 Posts
We never actually used the anti-ice system except for one time. Usually the harness was removed from the main rotor head and the plugs were cut off the tail rotor.

But like I said we used the de-ice system once when we were doing a North Star in the North Atlantic in January. It looked like a lightning show when they flipped the switch on deck! They quickly shut down and we had to change 3 blades and both tail paddles.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We never actually used the anti-ice system except for one time. Usually the harness was removed from the main rotor head and the plugs were cut off the tail rotor.

But like I said we used the de-ice system once when we were doing a North Star in the North Atlantic in January. It looked like a lightning show when they flipped the switch on deck! They quickly shut down and we had to change 3 blades and both tail paddles.
Well this one is owned and operated by a friendly country in the "gulf" region and I doubt it gets used at all. However we can't send it back not working. From personal experience it does get cold enough there to need it. KevinT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts