1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took out my new to me 1919a4 and it will only shoot doubles. I then have to open and close the top cover, chamber another round then another double. It feeds fine so problem seems to be in the top cover. Loose top latch perhaps??? It's an A6 style but doesn't seem too tight. Anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Headspace. Back it off one click.

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
I would certainly check the head space as well as the belt holding pawl spring (make sure it is not too stiff) top cover extractor spring and the belt feed pawl spring. are you using belts or links and if links are they USGI or izzy? what cal. ammo are you set up for?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try turning the belt around and running single loop first. We went through a similar problem about a year ago and it drove us nuts. It is still the one thing that we have never figured out why it changed, but it did.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try turning the belt around and running single loop first. We went through a similar problem about a year ago and it drove us nuts. It is still the one thing that we have never figured out why it changed, but it did.
When you have to run belts upside down, which is a semi common problem I have seen over the years building guns you check the arm on the belt feed pawl. Sometimes these can be bent forward a little too much. When not properly aligned they will rest on top of the links instead of falling behind the link and resting on top of the cartridge. The feed pawl must seat properly in order to push the linked ammo into the gun.

Either way the gun isn't advancing the belt correctly by what I gather. Its firing the first and second directly about the trunion. If you watch carefully I belt the belt is back feeding, if so its an easy fix.

Check the belt holding pawl spring tension. I have seen that the springs in many of the Izzy .308's are too stiff and cause feeding issues. If all of the above have yet to fix your feeding problems you can remove the holding pawl and remove the spring and then try shortening it by one or two coils. I don't know if I'd recommend removing more than that.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took it back out yesterday and if I push the top cover latch forward it solves the problem. Before I order a new one could it possible be one of the other solutions posted that pushing on the top cover latch would fix?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Took it back out yesterday and if I push the top cover latch forward it solves the problem. Before I order a new one could it possible be one of the other solutions posted that pushing on the top cover latch would fix?
Figure out if the latch is to tight or the spring is junk. You can increase the spring pressure with a flat head screwdriver by bending it down more, pull the whole thing off and adjust the spring first and see if that helps.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figure out if the latch is to tight or the spring is junk. You can increase the spring pressure with a flat head screwdriver by bending it down more, pull the whole thing off and adjust the spring first and see if that helps.
It's an A6 type latch. With it on and in it's normal position the top cover does have a little play. It doesn't take a lot of pressure on the back of the latch to get the gun to function. I will order a new a4 type and go from there.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
It sounds like there is a burr at the latching surfaces that needs a very light pass with a fine file. This is fairly common when final fitting a build, so I've read.
The top cover needs to close all the way and latch up tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts