1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding the OOW 1918a3 trigger assembly. What, if any, modifications need to be made to an original GI trigger assembly in order for it to work in a semi only mode in a 1918a3? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
the OOW trigger group is their own hammer fired design VS the originals open bolt firing.

only way to get one is to buy the gun or back order the whole semi kit for $2300.

or build your own.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If you just want an idea of it just to know , look at the trigger group from a M1 carbine and how the trigger / sear / hammer / hammer spring / guide all interact and you'll see .
If , however , you are looking to build one for yourself , be aware that the changes are protected by patents and OOW guards them well . He has done all the work and nobody deserves a free ride on his dime .
Nothing prevents anyone else , however , from building one up of their own design .
Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I needed to be. I have an OOW 1918a3. It has an armasteel trigger housing. Can I take the parts out of the OOW trigger assembly and use in the original GI assembly? I would like to use a GI trigger housing that has the screw on magazine guides to give it the look of a modernized BAR. Your comments are certainly welcome.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
oh,, in that case

I've never took my A3's FCG apart, i just hose it out.

I'm betting theres some slight differences BUT it's certainly doable. Not allowing an original housing to just drop right in is probably one of the denials they used.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Maybe I wasn't as clear as I needed to be. I have an OOW 1918a3. It has an armasteel trigger housing. Can I take the parts out of the OOW trigger assembly and use in the original GI assembly? I would like to use a GI trigger housing that has the screw on magazine guides to give it the look of a modernized BAR. Your comments are certainly welcome.
Ive got one of these too, LOVE IT. Anyway it would be difficult to turn your current housing back to a USGI/convert a screwed magazine guide trigger group to the 1918A3 design. One mod that the OOW boys do to the trigger group is add a second set of holes to the trigger group to secure it. On the fulll rock and roll models only one hole/pin is used to hold the trigger group in the receiver.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree....really like the rifle. I am trying to convert the current trigger group back to USGI but rather convert the USGI to OOW. Is it as simple as adding the additional hole?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would talk to OOW and see if they can modify your GI housing to their trigger group, they might be able to do that. I have been talking to them about putting SCAR Trigger group on my 1918A3, it's not proper... but it will be a lot more comfortable when I am shooting from the bench. As you get older and with arthritis setting in, It will be a lot easier to shoot and i will have the original one to put back in it, costly though :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
the only hole drilled is for the semi trigger pivot pin; the 'rear' pin that USMC1488 speaks of is the existing sear trip pin hole.

The mods to the USGI trigger housing are simply milling off the upper lip on the rear (provides a 'block' so a FA trigger group won't fit into a semi receiver) and the inside is milled out to receive the semi parts (as mentioned, very similar to a M1 carbine trigger group).

If you have a mill you could machine the USGI to take your OOW guts easily

JYS

·
Registered
350 Posts
the only hole drilled is for the semi trigger pivot pin; the 'rear' pin that USMC1488 speaks of is the existing sear trip pin hole.

The mods to the USGI trigger housing are simply milling off the upper lip on the rear (provides a 'block' so a FA trigger group won't fit into a semi receiver) and the inside is milled out to receive the semi parts (as mentioned, very similar to a M1 carbine trigger group).

If you have a mill you could machine the USGI to take your OOW guts easily

JYS
Beat me to it. Was some machining due to a change in receiver to prevent a full auto trigger group from bring inserted without modification. Older 1918a3s had usgi trigger groups machined to find and to fit the semi auto parts. Newer ones like mine had a new group made to all the specs.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have done the mod to original 'modernized a2' trigger packs to accept the oow assembly. Not hard to do, just a little millwork and fitting.

Hit me up via pm and we can work out the details if you want it done.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ok then , if that is what you are trying to do , then yes it can be fairly easily done . As was said , a mill and an operator .
One guy bought the OOW kit and assembled a pistol grip version out of it . He asked OOW if they would modify his trigger group for the kit and they said no , so he did it at a local machine shop using the OOW trigger group as a pattern . I bought his OOW group and sent it to Brian here on the board . He milled off the feed guides and refinished it for my A3 . If I can find a set of ears / screws on the loose I'll send him my original OOW group to mill / drill / & tap and convert it to the ealier style .
Chris

·
Registered
869 Posts
SF180, send me a note with what you want to do at Chris at ravennaarmory.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts