1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read MANY posts that state how useless the sights are on the 1919a4.
How GI's would just walk the rounds ect.

I FINALY noticed after my 3rd time to the range that there is a standard "sight V" on the rear sight when it is folded down.

First time I ever aimed my gun more than I shot it. And it behaved ADMIRALY.

Thought I would point this out to any other NEW guys.

The peep sight may or may not be nice at a DISTANCE but my range is 100 meters at best.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Knall, you're a class act buddy. Even when you do something stupid like the rest of us you're willing to share it so others won't do the same thing.

I remember installing the front sight and wondering what that crack is that runs crosswise and then finding out that it folds down. After all, I never owned a gun where the front sight folded down before.

Thanks for being a great sport and I'm glad you found that "V" thing to sight with :).

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Sights

knall,

I use the sights when set up the gun for the first few shots to make sure I don't shoot over the burm. So far, all my guns sights were very close to shooting to point of aim. The Water Cooled I just completed is probably the most accurate set of sights I have. With the sights set at 200 yds, it shoots to point of aim. The pattern is approx. 6", but I think the gun could do better if it was solidly locked in. Even on the tripod, there is movement nad this is what causes the 6" grouping.

When you build the gun, getting the sights set properly is tough until you shoot it. The rear sight bracket is usually bent a little and by adjusting this and the front sightm the gun will shoot straight IF build properly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as shooting straight "if built properly" even if ya got the barrel on there tweeked a bit....... couldnt ya just compensate with the sights?? The rear sight is awfull adjustable.

My "range" is 75-100 meters at best and my gun seems to fire straight at that distance.

I think I figured out my misfire situation..... gotta carve some off the rear plate to allow the trigger to travel farther.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Yeah, there's plenty of sight adjustment. It's just embaressing to have a gun with the rear sight all the way to one side because you know those internals have got to be rubbing hard on each other. I sell special backplates and internals for those guns...they are tapped and fitted with permanent grease fittings...you just keep the whole receiver packed like a wheel bearing and you know it's full when it comes out the booster :).

Glad you found your trigger problem.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
When I began assembling my gun I was impresed with the quality of the rear sight. It kinda reminded me of a target rifle. Then I realized I wouldn't have a stock to rest my cheek on like on the A6 or M60. My first trip to the range (the only one so far) I did pretty well. Out of 34 shots at 100 yards, I hit the paper one time. I to forgot about the open notch on the sight. I consulted FM 23-55 and was amased to find it had very little information about the rear sight, not even a picture. I have since used a laser bore sight to try to get in the ballpark. I can see why the Army issued tracer ammo.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
loboslanding -- "I sell special backplates and internals for those guns...they are tapped and fitted with permanent grease fittings...you just keep the whole receiver packed like a wheel bearing and you know it's full when it comes out the booster...."

When you first start beginning your production run, please let us all know how much they'll be and how payment is to be made. I have one guy in mind who has a new gun, and haven't heard how his new gun runs. He also maybe has some newly finished internals that he'll want converted, and I'm sure he'll be asking how to get the things centered without ruining the wonderful looking, newly-parked BLACK internals he's got, and I'd like to hear all about it!!!

PS: Don't remember whether we mentioned, the shipment of our own favorite sauce arrived intact about Wednesday after. We sure appreciate it, thanks very much.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Knall, Don't feel bad. I went shooting a while back with a friend who was trying out his brand new Ruger 10-22. He could not hit any thing at all. ( He's not a marksman). Finally he let me try it thinking he got a defective gun. I secretly flipped up the rear v sight and blasted a few bottles and cans and handed back his 22 with the sight flipped back down. After another clip of misses I showed him the problem and he laughed through his embarrasment and was able to plink a few targets.We still joke about it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am familiar with the ruger 10/22 and its fold down sights..........kinda a pointless option unless you are going to install a scope....... ya figure they would expect you to remove the rear sight if ya wanna put a scope on......... but NO they make it colapsabe so it can screw with you LOL

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
The real kicker is this guy is a USPS mail man with dyslexia. One would think a requirement for the job would be the ability to READ and WRITE, Evidently not so. He has coined more outrageous phrases then Yogi Berra. For instance the "Hot chick that sang the Natural Anthrum" at the Yankee game and the neighbor lady that gave birth to Quadruplets because she took "fraternity pills" the list goes on and on. He is quite amusing to have around as a friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts