1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that i am out of IMR 4756 the search for a replacement is on ! hard to beat 4756, burns super clean. i have a few powders that im looking at so i need Opinions gentleman !

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
...over 400 powders available...but not now...

I feel your pain...LOL. Since Winchester bought Accurate Arms,Hodgdon bought IMR (DuPont) and then Hodgdon bought Winchester...any of those powders have become difficult to obtain. It depends on the calibers you intend to load as to what powder is best for your application. I keep 15+ types of powder available in my reloading shop and have not found a caliber I cannot reload with them. My customers have been able to change their powders...most for the better...as some types become impossible to obtain. The Lovex Powder Co. from the Czech Rebublic is the distributor of Explosia Co. (mfg.) made powders and were the last mfg. of the Accurate powders. Apparently...my perspective only....since the initial sale of Accurate Arms to Winchester and then Hodgdon's purchase,someone forgot to renew the patent's for the Accurate powders and Lovex is now selling the same powders and referring to previous Accurate reloading data...without actually saying it's the same powder. Simply put....many of the original Accurate Arms powders are still available.

Again....state which calibers...and bullet weights.... you want to reload for a substitute powder that may be a better choice overall.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.45 ACP,9MM,38 SPECIAL,357 LEAD LOADS , lots of other pistol calibers too, been using it for 25 years, its no longer produced. has been discontinued. been loading my IPSC .45 and 9mm with this for years.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
AA#5 is best...

After over 25 yrs of use,I find Accurate Arms # 5 the best all-around powder for almost every pistol caliber. I suggest # 7 specifically for 9MM and most everything above with heavier bullets and # 9 for all the mags...41 and above. Once I get into .30 carbine,7.62x39 and .300 BO,AA# 1680 gives the best results. And AA# 2460 for everything from .17 Rem to 30/06 rifle loads. The Allient powders are usually so dirty and very smokey that I do not suggest their use...unless everything else is not available. Because I load over 100+ cals,I try to use the best over-all powder for each caliber. The AA ball powders are absolutely the best available and cost effective. Want the best...? Then spend about twice as much for the Vitovoury (sp) powders...if you can find them. I have several competition loaders who use the V350 for the pistol part of the 3-gun series. Again...my opinion and what is available right now.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smokey powders....

Yes , While i love bullseye and herco, they are just way to filthy, the crux of my issue here is to find a powder that will burn clean and have good density in the applied cartridge as well as 4756 did for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts