1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any serious BMG builders that want perfect rivets? I discovered a VSI PM-20 in a warehouse. I am considering making an offer on it. Any interest, please advise.

[email protected]

·
11,071 Posts
Thats is a pretty serious piece of hardware for the few builds that most do. though i am a terrible riveter. those that do it with the muffler gun well amaze me.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,987 Posts
Hmm. Trying to find info on that model, but can't see much. Is it a floor or bench top model? I certainly am looking for one, so I'll drop you a line, Ryland.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm. Trying to find info on that model, but can't see much. Is it a floor or bench top model? I certainly am looking for one, so I'll drop you a line, Ryland.
Lucky, It's a floor model. I went ahead and bought it this morning. It was purchased by a machine shop to do one job back in the 80's and when done, it sat in the warehouse. It has very little time in use. I will have my guys clean her up and put a coat of paint on her.
rivetor plate.jpg

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
If I remember correctly you built your own orbital riveter didn’t you Ryland?
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remember correctly you built your own orbital riveter didn’t you Ryland?
CaptMax
Max, I did build an orbital riveter, air motor powered that was fittedt to a Dake 1-1/2 B arbor press. It had just enough ass to do the 1919 rivets. This one I have now is the real deal.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
WOW! That is indeed the real deal! What side collet does it have and where will you be getting the bits from?

I've been looking at used orbital riveters for a while. They're not that expensive secondhand. Seems that many job shops buy them for one or two jobs then just park them in the back of the shop for a decade before they run out of room and decide to sell them. Curious about yours!

But I want one to build AKs. o_O

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW! That is indeed the real deal! What side collet does it have and where will you be getting the bits from?

I've been looking at used orbital riveters for a while. They're not that expensive secondhand. Seems that many job shops buy them for one or two jobs then just park them in the back of the shop for a decade before they run out of room and decide to sell them. Curious about yours!

But I want one to build AKs. o_O
This unit does not use collets, I don't think. I would have to look again. VSI is still in business and has tooling for any rivet head configuration. The mandrels can also be easily made from oil hardening drill rod. And you are exactly correct. This was purchased by a machine shop for one job then it sat in a warehouse.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
A little overkill for Ak’s but I always approve of quality tools. :ROFLMAO:
A rivet is a rivet. You can press it in with a machine like a civilized human, or beat it in with a hammer like a chimpanzee.

I prefer the former.

Mmmmkay? ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts