1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought you guys might enjoy this one since it is kind of a rare bird. This was given to a friend years ago by the the head dog at the pattern room in England and it is now my job to deal with it. I would love to hear any thoughts about it from the German experts here.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Its a property stamp, vs wafffens which were inspctors stamps. Looks to be about the right size for the stamp that usually appears on the right side of a K98 stock just below the takedown disk. Im actually in the process of refurbishing a Russian Capture stock that has NO markings....could I borrow that stamp for a day? 8*P

Honestly, thats the reason why I never spend huge money on ANY German collectable. Fakes are abundant and it seems like guys spend way too much time chasing particular stamps more than the equimpent itself.

I think you should start stamping all your pocket change. Every penny, nickle dime and quarter and return them all to a coinstar machine. That will surely give some liberal a heart attack.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
As stated in the wrong hands. Not the first one in the hands of folks that I know of. Happy to say all good folks that will not use them for evil reasons.

Stay Safe

Later 42rocker

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,199 Posts
The question is, given that this is the real deal- and it is not to go to any unscrupulous types- what is something like this worth to a legit collector? Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well is has a number code on the side of 29 and when I get five minutes I will dig into it a bit more but I know for a fact it is legit.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a property stamp, vs wafffens which were inspctors stamps. Looks to be about the right size for the stamp that usually appears on the right side of a K98 stock just below the takedown disk. Im actually in the process of refurbishing a Russian Capture stock that has NO markings....could I borrow that stamp for a day? 8*P

Honestly, thats the reason why I never spend huge money on ANY German collectable. Fakes are abundant and it seems like guys spend way too much time chasing particular stamps more than the equimpent itself.

I think you should start stamping all your pocket change. Every penny, nickle dime and quarter and return them all to a coinstar machine. That will surely give some liberal a heart attack.
Too funny lol and yes I am aware of the fake stamps these days tat is why when I buy ant German pieces I only do so from people whom I know well and trust.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
That's because the stamps are EVERYTHING that can prove or disprove provenance and originality.

Knowing which stamps should be on which part and for which time period and how many there should be is key to discerning an original from a fake.

The most commonly faked WW2 German parts are leather and wood goods, because it's easy to stamp those materials. IMA stamped all sorts of repop stuff, particularly stocks, fortunately with stamps that are inaccurate and/or incorrect, a "novice" and "obvious" fake that is "easily" discernable.

As well, uninformed fraudsters don't know the WaA and other markings so will make mistakes (e.g., wrong manufacturer or wrong WaA) that are obvious to more advanced collectors.

The truly great finds are those that don't fit the established understood pattern, yet are clearly not fakes. For example, I have a dfb 1941 MG42 front end and the underside of the shroud itself is stamped "936". Nobody is going to fake that, as a half-informed collector would think it's fake and avoid it.

Increasingly, extremely knowledgeable collectors are remiss to share their knowledge for fear of it being used to fake stuff. Steves & Karem in the fabulous Mauser series outed a number of fakes, including those shown in Backbone of the Wehrmacht! Admittedly, it is quite likely some fraud will use that info to "improve" forgeries. Revealing information is like an arms race.

Sadly, noted authorities on German WW2 stuff have been outed for faking for a profit, which is, to me, unbelievable...but it's been proven. And, there is one seller on GB right now who routinely adds eagle-looking scratches and such to fool the unsuspecting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts