1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm brand new to the forum and the 1919, just had one built, finally got an original tripod, t&e, I'm all set, until I go to load the cloth belts I bought. I foolishly thought it would be no big deal...

What's the trick here? I know there are loaders, any for sale? Does the wood one work on cloth? Help!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well, they made the machines for a reason. Selfless plug - I have one on GB for sale. Links are an option but still really need a link loader /press

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gotta get a loader - and buy used belts if possible. The new ones are really time consuming to load. But, once a belt is used the belt filling machine works like a sewing machine once properly set up. if You decide on metal links , definitely invest in a Trunnion shield

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
There is simply no good way to hand load cloth belts unless they have used and reloaded (by a machine) several times. Theres all sorts of snake oil solutions (soak in transmission fluid and hand from a ceiling with dumb bell pulling on it) but all they get you are pink slippery belts.

·
12,195 Posts
Gotta get a loader - and buy used belts if possible. The new ones are really time consuming to load. But, once a belt is used the belt filling machine works like a sewing machine once properly set up. if You decide on metal links , definitely invest in a Trunnion shield
Ignore Bill. He thinks these guns are made of pewter.

I’m presuming you are shooting semi auto, if so you’ll likely never shoot enough to cause any real harm to the trunion.

if shooting auto, you might want a trunion protector.

either way, you need a loader. Cloth if you want the belts, link loader of metal.

·
12,195 Posts
We all complain about the cost of a loader until you decide to sell one. Then it’s made of gold.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Are there repro loaders, looks like originals are quite pricey!
You cant touch a cloth belt loader for less than a kings ransom at the moment. Cloth belts look cool, but you cant beat factory links for durability and function. As Rory stated, if you are shooting a semi gun, you will probably never even scratch the parkerizing off.

Honestly, metal links are the way to go. You can hand link belts easily, and theres a guy here selling a simple hand loading maching for around a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Perfect! Where do I find this machine? I'm not opposed to links at all, glad there's an alternative!
Member '702labs' has a thread here on the product. Search his name, the thread is pretty recent.

·
Registered
299 Posts
With used cloth belts you can load by hand. I did it for a few years but I gave to tell you it's murder on your fingers! And I work as a mechanic so gave strong, calised hands but still hurts. You have to start each round then twist it in. After about 10-15 rounds stand it up on a table and push down to be sure all rounds are at same depth. A 250 belt takes a while. Loaded thousands of rounds in disintegrating links by hand as well. Box of links and box of loose ammo in front of the TV. Just like shelling beans. I am SO glad I have a belt loader now!! As to trunnion protectors, I did start to scar my trunnion on a semi auto but I **** it a lot! For the cost if one why not just add it?

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
Shameless plug...have several 1918 Browning belt loaders left from my original production run a few years ago. Been selling them for $900.00 + HIS...usually $35 east of Mississippi,$45 west. They come with a repro transit case (wood box) & manual. I have not changed my prices...just the cost of packaging and shipping. Send funds to...Len's Ammo Shop,2402 S. Michigan St.,South Bend,IN-456614...or call ...574 233-4867 shop.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey Len, can you take credit cards?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ignore Bill. He thinks these guns are made of pewter.

I’m presuming you are shooting semi auto, if so you’ll likely never shoot enough to cause any real harm to the trunion.

if shooting auto, you might want a trunion protector.

either way, you need a loader. Cloth if you want the belts, link loader of metal.
Yep. Skip the trunion protector. Mine won't run with it on anyway. Even FA, with the price of ammo these days, you will NEVER EVER shoot enough ammo to wear away the trunion.

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
We all complain about the cost of a loader until you decide to sell one. Then it’s made of gold.
Only if its marked BA......Get that gun together yet..?

Reactions: toolmanm203

·
Registered
58 Posts
Once upon a time, (last year) Sarco sold new manufactured belts that came from Pakistan that were easy to load by hand even with 308’s. I don’t know if they have have them at the moment, but someone on the forum had some they were willing to part with. They don’t hold the rounds as well as a GI belt, but I use them a lot and they work fine. I got tired of picking up links and cleaning them for re-use. Belts are much easier to pick up after. Just have to pick up the brass. I now have a belt loader and a number of GI belts, but I still use the Sarco belts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have six green repro ( SARCO ?) belts, 100 rd with the brass grommet tab, came with some other stuff. I would sell here for $135 shipped for all 6 if one of the new guys wants them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I'm a young'n here and new to the 1919 game myself but what I've found to help tremendously with hand loading cloth belts is to use the case holder from a Lyman E-ZEE Trim case trimming kit. The kit is worth the price just for the case holder alone. You can chuck each round into the holder tightly and then "screw" the rounds into the belt like you are using a screwdriver. It greatly increases the amount of torque and grip you can get on the rounds to really squeeze them into a tight belt. Your fingers will thank you. I don't shoot enough to justify buying a belt loader but for a couple-five hundred rounds a year this method works fine for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have six green repro ( SARCO ?) belts, 100 rd with the brass grommet tab, came with some other stuff. I would sell here for $135 shipped for all 6 if one of the new guys wants them.
Any chance you think I could hand load 7.62 into these?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts