1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Restoring Colt M35 Tripod.

Should I paint this tripod or park it? As I understand these were painted originally? Just feel parked would look better. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,052 Posts
They were painted originally but I just picked up a cradle at the SAR show for one of the guys here and it is blued and quite pretty I might say so much so that it may get lost in my shop :tongue:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Whatever you like or are capable of doing I guess. My advise is parkerized and if you think paint looks better paint over the park finish. If you later change your mind buy a can of paint remover. Even if you decide to paint I would recommend parkerizing first as it makes a good primer. I have done that with several non military related projects.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Just as a tickler, here are some pics of the M35 tripod I got from jmann to use with my ersatz 1928 Argie Colt. His attention to detail is impeccable.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never really thought about parking it and then if I don't like it then I'll paint it anyways. I'll post pictures when I get it done. In process of this build and 2 others.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Yep, that's the way I'd do it. Blue the steel hardware, bead blast the bronze, and paint the legs and cradle plates. Beautiful. That jmann guy does nice work! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts