1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the canvas, and pad that covers the traversing arm assembly, on a US 57MM M1 anti tank gun. Does anybody have one, or know where to get one, or have one made.....

Thanks

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...pic...?

Got pic of this item...? Just made a dozen 'tarpoline's' for my WW1 1917 Machine Gun carts...from a couple pic's from a museum. Might be able to give you some help.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for trying. Anybody know anyone who could do it?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
That looks awfully simple to make. Is that part small enough you can pack it to a sewing outfit/seamstress? Can't see how the thong closure terminates. Must be a small slit? Pics of all angles necessary to get correct amount and placement of grommets. Grommet size is needed too.

If you were close, I'd tear into it. Made several holsters, grip pads for fighting staffs from garment grade leather, etc. Canvas would be a breeze in comparison.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What area are you in? I travel for work quite a bit.....

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I'm just 20 miles East of Portland, OR.

I'd need full coverage pics or a VERY good, detailed description of it's construction. For example, the main seam. Is it made from two separate pieces or a folded 'butterfly'? (Does the seam go all the way round)

I'd need the actual part to fit it to, or a darn good copy in wood. Not the whole show, just the flat and the first couple inches after the bend. Enough to form it to with an inch to spare hanging out will be fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I no idea on how it is made, but, I'll ask a guy who has a 57mm if his 57mm has the flat blade like mine, or the shoulder Y type.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Looks like two pieces to me. Can't tell if the open end is hemmed or serged. Betting it's standard OD canvas, probably something you can hustle from an old torn up shelter half. Grommets are gonna be blackened brass, four of them. The string is gonna be a round cord, like an old boot lace dyed with coffee or something. Cord doesn't look to have a bound end, so it'll fray. I would make it a touch undersized, get it wet, put it on, and let it shrink to fit perfect.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Looks like two pieces to me. Can't tell if the open end is hemmed or serged. Betting it's standard OD canvas, probably something you can hustle from an old torn up shelter half. Grommets are gonna be blackened brass, four of them. The string is gonna be a round cord, like an old boot lace dyed with coffee or something. Cord doesn't look to have a bound end, so it'll fray. I would make it a touch undersized, get it wet, put it on, and let it shrink to fit perfect.

Just my opinion.
That is nearly exactly what I had in mind. Good idea to have enough material for two, three attempts.
It's not leather, so I don't have an exact way to calculate shrinkage to fit.
Sew it up with wax coated linen thread??? That's what I use for all my leather stuff.
Canvas and boot lacing is cheap enough.
A quick pass with a lighter and a gentle roll between the fingers is good for most modern cordage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts