1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
long story short, an old friend walked off with some guns. do pawn brokers have to call anything in to see if they were stolen?

local PD were pretty crappy to me about the whole fiasco and i don't expect to see the stuff back, but what happens?

nicest one was an in box fn57 that i don't think i ever shot :(

so it goes

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
long story short, an old friend walked off with some guns. do pawn brokers have to call anything in to see if they were stolen?

local PD were pretty crappy to me about the whole fiasco and i don't expect to see the stuff back, but what happens?

so it goes

There is supposed to be a system for pawn brokers to call the police for stolen weapons check. My understanding is this is not working very well, so do not count on it.

if your gun is used in a crime, the police will get back to you if reported stolen.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Very sorry to hear that, Rory. In regard to pawn shops, the pawn shops Ain VT ll have direct lines to all PD's in the state to report suspicious offerings. The cops routinely have public notice announcements imploring people to mark their possessions so that the pawn shops can more easily identify stolen items. Twice I have been to a St. Police depot to pick up firearms that have been taken from people I know who have violated the domestic abuse laws. The amount of stuff in those storage rooms retrieved from the crooks when they're caught is mind blowing and there are lots of firearms.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Probably varies from state to state but I believe in AL there's a hold period before unclaimed/sold items can be resold to give local authorities time to check for recently reported thefts. Have some friends that run a pawn shop and I know they get regular visits from PD looking for stolen items. They're also careful not to take in anything they suspect is stolen as they lose $$ if seized.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
...bears repeating...

so it goes
I'm sure Rory has done this but bears repeating here.

Primary thing to do is to determine what guns have been stolen. Then make an extensive police report with mod,cal,mfg and serial# of each gun. Only then can the police canvass or inquire at pawn shops and local gun shows. Have helped several guys with this procedure and been successful with some. If the thief is more astute,they will make sure all the guns leave the area. Best way to do this is to make a typed list with the police report#,distribute to all local pawn shops,gun shops and with several gun show sellers. Many times you get a positive response and sometimes a gun is recovered this way.

Sorry stuff like this happens...but most thefts are done by family,'friends' and those who have seen the stuff you show them. I make it a policy to never display anything to anyone other than very close family and friends.

Hope your guns are recovered in good shape. I wish you well,Rory.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
1st Sorry to hear about this Rory.

2nd MAKE sure that you have filed that police report with as much info as you can.

3rd L999here said it quite well, follow it.

4th If you don't file a police report then you are blowing in the wind. Friend, Family or whatever -> No Report then you can be the one in trouble if you try to get anything back.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Very sorry to hear about this Rory and I do hope you get them back. Did the police find your former friend?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Contact any likely gun shops too. While pawn shops often have ways to check for stolen stuff, there's no system for other FFLs to do so in most places. Sometimes the local PD will come by and do checks, but often not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sounds like you are not pursuing charges against your old friend. If you want to report your items stolen, you have to tell police who did it and then pursue charges...

Very unusual complaint you have there.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
With friends like that who needs enemies? I am very selective on who sees what I own, guns or otherwise. So many people talk about “this guy I know” that you never know who to trust. Report those stolen guns and prosecute the guilty. This leads me to wonder what kind of security do you have, best to invest some money in something that works. Mine are on wireless camera 24/7, it will message me if any movement is seen as well as records it. Good luck!
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
so it goes
If you are an FFL, you must complete ATF Form 3310.11 and forward it to BATF. You can download a PDF form or fill it out online as it is an e-form. Get your list of the stolen firearms, with serial numbers, and and take the list to your local PD/SO. File a stolen firearms report with the serial numbers included. The PD/SO will enter the stolen firearm information along with serial numbers into NCIC. I do not know about other states, but in Texas pawn shops are required to complete a pawned firearms report with serial numbers and forward it to their local PD/SO. The PD/SO will then check NCIC to see if they are wanted or stolen. The pawn shop cannot sell these pawned firearms until they get an OK from their PD/SO.

·
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I filed a report and had all the serial numbers. The of we’re absolute jerks to me about it and felt like they were trying to talk me out of it

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I filed a report and had all the serial numbers. The of we’re absolute jerks to me about it and felt like they were trying to talk me out of it
Where is this? I would call BATF and report those firearms. You need to cover your a$$ in case someone is hurt by one of those stolen firearms. You can never be too careful. Also, don't forget to file an insurance claim.

·
11,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wont file an insurance claim. deductible vs increased insurance rates just doenst make it worth it for the loss. the police have been given the serial numbers. these are not part of an FFL so no ATF docs required.

heard from a friend of the friend that he was going to turn himself in today. I doubt that he will.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
i wont file an insurance claim. deductible vs increased insurance rates just doenst make it worth it for the loss. the police have been given the serial numbers. these are not part of an FFL so no ATF docs required.
heard from a friend of the friend that he was going to turn himself in today. I doubt that he will.
The point of the insurance claim is to document the firearm serial numbers stolen, not their monetary value. I hope you got a copy of the police report and double checked the serial numbers listed on the report.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I hope this story has a happy ending! We owned a pawn shop in WV and uploaded all pawns daily to a service. Trouble is the service was voluntary so few pawn shops used it, and if someone did claim the gun the police seized it and we were just out $$$. Still, the important thing was to do what we believed was the right thing.

The system worked to a degree. One day we got a call from a law enforcement agency in Sarasota FL that a gun we took in was stolen from them several years earlier. The department told us to go ahead and sell it or whatever, they just wanted to verify the serial and see if the local PD would follow up on the person who turned it in to us. Turned out that person got it from another and so on so the case was closed.

Again, best of luck, hope you get your property back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts