1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to stake my breech lock cam screw. Since my breech lock cam cover has cuts beside the screw-hole, my plan is to
  • either use a sharp punch to stake the screw from within
  • or, Use Loctite blue to stake the screw

I think it would be best to use the Loctite, but it may get hot enough in there to make it fail. Anybody out the use blue or red Loctite (that's what I have on hand) or would you all recommend staking the screw and being done with it once and for all. My motivation for trying the Loctite would be removal for cleaning after corrosive ammo fired.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Just be sure not to tighten it completely, you want a little "jiggle" room in there. I staked mine.
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I am getting ready to stake my breech lock cam screw. Since my breech lock cam cover has cuts beside the screw-hole, my plan is to
  • either use a sharp punch to stake the screw from within
  • or, Use Loctite blue to stake the screw

I think it would be best to use the Loctite, but it may get hot enough in there to make it fail. Anybody out the use blue or red Loctite (that's what I have on hand) or would you all recommend staking the screw and being done with it once and for all. My motivation for trying the Loctite would be removal for cleaning after corrosive ammo fired.
The only way that gun will get hot enough to affect Loctite that far back is if the gun is dropped in a bonfire.
Never use red on anything you may want to see apart again without some kind of insane wrestling match and probable boogering of fasteners of some kind or another. I can see the slot in the screw getting chewed. Blue's not too bad.
Mine is staked also.

I clean mine with Dawn dish soap, hot rinse water if available and blow it off with a compressor. Give it a light all over spray with motor oil suspended in mineral spirits and let it all evaporate in the sun when I can. Nothing gets missed that way. And I'm lazy. LOL!! ;)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Lazy? I think not...I've got you beat. Hornady electronic cleaner... The big one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts