1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up this past weekend. I took off the azimuth ring to paint the pod. I broke the stud that the knurled nut is on when I took it apart. and still can't get the left over stud out of the nut. Heat hasn't helped, and am worried about putting too much heat to it. It has a demill cut in the casting that has been welded back up. What do you all think? What are these going for now?

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Looks good! I don't know what they are going for now but if you got the cradle with it probably 1K. I needed the azimuth bolts and nuts and got them from Dave at Sarco

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No cradle with it, but wayyyy less than 1k.

I'll give dave a call and see if he can fix me up.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Shows some welding on this so it was a demil someone brought back to life......

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, It was a demil. Doesn't look like the legs were messed with just the one cut down the side.

I need to get me 1917A1 tripod out and set them side by side to really look both over as my A1 was a demil as well.

Steve

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
If your A1 and A2 are still correct , the only real difference is the A1 had about a 6-inch longer rear leg than the A2 . The A2 pictures in this post look right to me .
Chris

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I am not at all a tripod guru. and didn't know if the A2 looked all correct, or if I was missing something. I believe the A1 is all correct also, but it came in a package deal and never really got a lot of scrutiny.

Steve

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I believe the A2 was intended more for the recoiless rifle then the 1917's ... but they still do that job as well....

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Nope , folklore legend . The A2s were out some two years before the RRs .
I figure it was the same reason the bayonets were cut down , to save a little metal and for transportation . The long foot would stick out into the rear doorways of the halftracks , prob'ly causing a trip now and then .
Remember , our backs were against the wall in '43 and every little bit helped .
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts