1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to get to this for some time. Knee and back are killing me, new knee postponed until July. Not good.

I have had this gun for way more than a few years. I have been told there isnt a designation of "DTM"......??????? Makes little difference to me, paper says Russia manufacture and model is DTM. Who am I to argue with the NFA folks.?? We gradually moved away from belly down guns when Donna lost her foot. I built the table you see us using just so we could go back to those guns. '42 is too violent, '34 almost. I have a mount for her where she can sit in a more stable chair to fire those guns.

This gun has had a finned barrel in forever. Bore was tacky. In looking for something else, I found a chrome lined smooth exterior barrel. Apparently more correct for the shroud. I have two magazines here in the house, used one of them marked 47 Patrone. Is that Russian..????

Guns trigger pull is really soft, kinda like a target rifle. Needs more spring as far as I am concerned. Any one else gun the same.???? This is a really good shooter, we get a lot of young & old gals. Good rate of fire, easy recoil, no hiccups of any kind. Real good for gal shooters after a 9mm introduction event, BRPs Take-Down. Magazines are a pain to load. After my hands got oily, I had to put on a pair of fence building gloves. I found a bent shelf mounting bracket in the loading area, enlarged an end hole in it just a bit, fit nicely over the screw after the first rnd was in. Been a better set-up in my mind to have Jap. T-99 style mags. Certainly easier to load.

Had perfect weather on Tuesday. Today was supposed to be the same.....not. So whats new. Got colder as the day went on. Once we got home, 5:30ish, sun came out, temp went up 10 degrees.

Picts.........basement, before loading up.....range obstacles.......no hand shooting, really camera delay problem......Donna in her element....
DSC00269.JPG
DSC00270.JPG
DSC00271.JPG
DSC00272.JPG
DSC00273.JPG
DSC00274.JPG
DSC00275.JPG
..end of session.

PJH

·
Registered
976 Posts
That just looks fun!! Glad she still enjoys getting out and shooting and you built a nice shooting stand to boot!!
Cheers, Chris.

·
11,094 Posts
It’s one of my favorite guns to shoot but mag loading is terrible. Maybe it’s to help conserve ammo?! Hahaha

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
PJ you really did make me laugh when I saw the photo of the gun with all those cows. Nobody would ever do it....but the thought is there. Oops guess we are having ribeye for dinner.

·
11,094 Posts
the cows don't care at all. theyre so used to the machine gun fire that its just no big deal to them.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
From what I see in the pics and discussions with PJ, the fun is a standard DP28, not a DPM or a DT. The "giveaway" that it is a DP version is that it uses the standard large diameter DP pan mags. The "giveaway" that it is NOT a DPM is that the recoil spring is under the barrel and not in a tubular housing fixed to the rear of the lower. The rear mounted recoil spring housing is one of the modifications that created the DPM.
A DT (tank co-ax gun) lower Is assembled to PJ's gun with the retractable stock. The DT tank co-ax MGs use the smaller stacked-round DT pans, also a distinguishing feature of that model.
I have not seen a DTM, the mod with the rear mounted recoil spring housing, probably due to the way the retractable stock latch is located. A DTM might have been made though, if the latch was put in the bottom of the housing rather than the top.
FWIW

FWIW

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Reminds me of the WW2 cartoonist Bill Mauldin and his cartoon of his two G.I.'s,Willie and Joe, in a foxhole with a 1919. In a field...Willie says to Joe..."Thought that cow was a kraut out there. Go wake up the cooks..we got fresh meat."

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Outstanding!

First pictre: lots of cows
Next picture: one slow cow
Next picture: no cows

Got a good laugh from that! Thanks PJH!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Helped a local friend with a lot of livestock last January. He called about 8:30 one night and asked for some help. A two year old Highland had asphyxiated itself between the narrow uprights of a feeder. He had it hoisted up with his loader and was peeling it. It was 10 below zero but the carcass was still warm and he wanted to strip it out, butcher what he needed, take care of the entrails before he let it freeze to give it to the coyotes. Took a while!! Done other large critters many, many years ago and still don't like it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two more cow stories.........When Donna & I first got together, she wanted to let the cows into the garden after season was over to eat corn stubble and the turnips she had planted for them. I moved the fence. I also put a salt block pan in one corner. When we got back the next day, there was a cow mired up to her belly in the soft dirt at the salt block pan. I pulled her out into the yard with chain and tractor. She couldnt get up, tried all day, by dark we had called a vets assistant. He came, figured she had ruptured something inside, shot her, took the unborn calf. Dinked with it until it finally came around, and stood up.!!!! He left us the cow and took the calf. He was the winner there.

Another time we had one that couldnt get up after pulling the calf. Calf lived. We decided to butcher the crippled cow with the help of a neighbor who had all the SS butchering equipment from somewhere he had worked. You wouldnt believe how hard butchering is for novices. Never again.

PJH

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gent and to whom it may concern. I am unable to edit. When I try, I get a window that tells me I can only edit a number of times. Can go no farther. I have yet to be able to edit anything for the first time.???

I said the magazine said Patrone on it, my oops, must have looked at it in the low basement lighting without glasses......(my excuse this time) It is properly Russian marked.

PJH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts