1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
How about the Browning sitting on top of the trailer? Is the LSP peeled off or is that my imagination? Looks like a trailer for a 1/4 ton jeep which was not uncommon at the time, they used what they had to get by.

·
Registered
659 Posts
How about the Browning sitting on top of the trailer? Is the LSP peeled off or is that my imagination? Looks like a trailer for a 1/4 ton jeep which was not uncommon at the time, they used what they had to get by.
IT sure looks like it, top cover bowed and bottom plate split??

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Wow! That must have taken a near-direct mortar shell!
Heres whats REALLY happening in that picture:

Hey Sarnt, So.....me and Jones here kinda left our Browning on top of the Sherman last night but didnt latch it in....Sooooo....we kinda ran it over. Was wondering if you could help straighten it out before the First Sargent finds out......

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yea - that Browning looks like it was blown from inside - not a mortar hit or some such. I find it interesting to look at the back story in photos like this - Great picture -

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Yea - that Browning looks like it was blown from inside - not a mortar hit or some such. I find it interesting to look at the back story in photos like this - Great picture -
Not even a full case rupture and out-of-battery explosion would do that kind of damage.

...Ask me how I know...

It's peeled back from the rear of the gun.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I would agree- but it still looks like it was blown from the inside out, not outside in- I have had a few "out of battery" evens as well. No where near that level of damage.

·
Registered
7,772 Posts
Yeah....it most certainly looks like a "back-half" receiver explosion of some sort. Even running it over with a tracked vehicle wouldn't peel off the reat parts of the side plate and top cover like shown. Would it????

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I would agree- but it still looks like it was blown from the inside out, not outside in- I have had a few "out of battery" evens as well. No where near that level of damage.
Same here with my OOB (Turk 8mm) that just broke the extractor, bent the topcover and feed lever, and drew blood (case shrapnel). I have heard of warped sideplates but have never seen that happen.

The damage to that gun above is extreme. The side of the bottom plate is still attached and peeled back like a banana! Looks like the RSP is still straight-ish. Top plate is warped up. Topcover is straight. If that was an OOB, wouldn't the topcover be bent?

I'm still going with a large explosion unrelated to the Browning itself happened behind it. Shell? Mortar?

Wait, wait... I know... it was a "WILD SPECULATION GRENADE" (thrown by me!) :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It was definitely external. Nothing is back there but the massive bolt. It was hit right rear by a big explosion. Jap grenades were relatively low power so probably mortar or artillery.

And it was probably manned.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
It was definitely external. Nothing is back there but the massive bolt. It was hit right rear by a big explosion. Jap grenades were relatively low power so probably mortar or artillery.

And it was probably manned.
I would have to agree this thing took one hell of a hit to peel it apart like that. Looking closely I do believe the bottom plate is split down the middle so if someone was behind it I am sure it didn't end well.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,987 Posts
Talk about having a story to tell... if guns could talk! I know of two cases where a Browning has blown the back end out, one .30 cal and one .50 cal. In the latter, it was a buffer screw that had backed out leaving the bolt to hammer directly on the back plate with no cushion. IIRC, it split at the back plate groove(s) but that was the gist of it. I do believe the top cover IS bent, but angle and distortion in the photo itself may impact my reading of that. But it does look bowed in the opposite direction that an OOB would normally do. All in all, I don't know how to interpret this. It could well be the pressure came in from the back plate end, as in an external impact. I couldn't conclude that exclusively from the photo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wonder if it was "spiked" to prevent further use/capture? or even booby trapped? A frag placed in the rear of the box might do that?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I would agree, this gun was destroyed to keep from falling into enemy hands. Probably opened the topcover set the frag there and set a sandbag over it which directed the force down and rearward

1 - 19 of 19 Posts