1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going through my bullet collection trying to ID stuff and weed out doubles and came across this one,I tried to ID it by going through the SAAMI drawings but couldn't find a match, I don't think they list older European rounds.
The projectile at the neck is .282,which I assume is 7MM, but the case is only 2.240 long. the headstamp reads, PS 1939, the case is the same diameter as the .308.
In the picture is .308 on the right and 8MM Mauser on the left, the round in question is in the middle. Thanks
Rim Button Circle Audio equipment Metal
Wood Ammunition Finial Bullet Gun accessory

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
There are 2-other cartridges types with the 2-element PS head stamp. One is from South Korea made in the 1970's...too late for the type shown. Other is Spanish,made at Pirotecnia Militar de Sevilla,with dates from 1932-1958 on several calibers*. The one shown is the 7MM Mauser (7x54) and does not show the caliber,which is normal for military made cartridges. Generally civilian rounds have the caliber stamped on the case head.
One must remember that Germany used the Spanish civil war as a test bed for many of their military weapons (1934-1937) and also armed the faciest's with German Mauser's in the Spanish military 7MM caliber.

*Info from the 1989 ed.,Identification Guide Military small caliber ammunition,Rhino Pub. Co.,p.153-54

1 - 5 of 5 Posts