1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would greatly appreciate seeing a closeup picture of some .308 rounds loaded in a cloth belt so I can see what the proper depth of the rounds should be for .308. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
57Strat,
I can get ya some tonight (after work) but I'd imagine someone will post long before then:) I loaded my 100 rd by hand - just pushed the rounds in as far as they would go. Not really consistent depth as some of the rounds backed out a little from handling. The "empty brass maker" ate 'em all up though.
FWIW
mcj600

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
I shoot mostly 8MM now, but as I recall the NATO 7.62 was loaded flush with the case mouth at the front side of the belts. 30-06 protruded further out by 3/16" or so...anyone verify this - I have no pics available either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well 57,
After two weeks of rain & t-storms, we finally got some sun here at the beach and I took the scenic route home from work on the bike. Had to get my 2 wheel fix...

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mcj600 said:
Well 57,
After two weeks of rain & t-storms, we finally got some sun here at the beach and I took the scenic route home from work on the bike. Had to get my 2 wheel fix...

No worries. Whenever you get time.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Belt Loading

Sorry no photos from me, but when I load belts using the JJ Custom Single Belt Loader, I load the round so the case mouth is flush, or extends past the belt by 1/32" max. This runs great in all three of my guns. One thing that is important is to make sure the rounds are loaded the same and does not vary in depth. Consistency is important!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey 57,
You probably don't need this but I said I'd post it:

I need to figure out pic posting on the new site anyway. Apologies for the delay, I'm in the middle of moving:eek:
mcj600

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyway 57Strat,
That's what they look like after I'm done ruining the fingertip of a leather glove or giving myself some wicked blisters. However, by the time I drag 'em out to the 19 and start squeezing the trigger they don't have that nice even look anymore - some were probably backed out a 1/16" or so on my first run.
One of these days I'll get off some $$$ and buy one of those fancy belt loaders!
HTH
mcj600

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
mcj600,

Get one of JJ Custom Single Round Belt Loaders and it will save you a lot of blisters, bad words, and aggrevation. It takes me about 10-15 min to load a 100 rd belt and I actually enjoy doing this. I just can't bring myself to pay over 1K for 1918 Belt Loader when the Single Rounder Loader so well.

Easy loading sure makes shooting the 1919 more fun!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Abwehr!
I saw the thread on that Single Round Belt Loader a while back and wondered if it would be any faster than loading by hand. Looks like JJ makes a quality product. Their barrel wrench is probably another handy accessory addition...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
mcj600,

Yes, James makes a real QAULITY product and another great item that comes with it is the little Belt Tool that mounts on the loader for opening the pockets of new belts. This looks like a .308 round that you slide the belt loop onto ant it helps loading the round. Once you load a belt, this problem goes away and you can load them very easy. For an extra $12, get the Headspacing Tool, I sure makes it easier to rotate the barrel when in the gun. I fought that too long and got one his tools; it is another quality item that looks like a GI tool. If a dwg. number was stamped on it, you would never know it was not GI.

Oh yea, here is J J Custom's website: http://www.jjcustom.net/

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just wanted to let u guys know that a box of rit fabric dye and a big pot on the stove will dye your ima or any other belts to any color U want without
screwing them up.
I just empty a $.59 cent box in a 3 gallon pan and let them simmer /not boil as I swish them around a lil (once ever five) and after bout a half hour when
the colors are what i want then rinse them good in cool water and line dry them ;I used the shower curtain rod;;and gave them a lil streach every couple hours. Works really good!! Peace;; Chewy

·
Registered
498 Posts
100 rounds in about 8-10 minutes

8mm at 12-13 per minute, little longer for .308 in new IMA belts. I have never used a tool to pre stretch them. Not as good as the 1918 loader, but at $700 to $800 cheaper, it rocks! Watching a 1918 work is almost worth the money though. The new belt guide ended up helping.

I made a new belt guide that is a little thinner, but still have to park it.

If you do not have the extra grand, this is great for the $$$.
(bolts are black, just an odd flash reflection on the black oxide I guess.)

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts