1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the selling points for the land I own was that it had a natural spring on it. I've lived here for over 15 years and I've never seen it stop running, no matter how hot, dry, or cold.

Long before I bought the land the spring was cased in a large concrete tile and routed about 50 yards downhill underground via 2" pvc to feed a manmade pond.
During really dry spells the pvc with running water was accessible when the water levels dropped in the pond. But most of the time it is out several feet into the water. I've decided to make a fountain...soooooo here are some photos of the process.

First I came uphill from the pond beside the path and dug down to the PVC...that was boring so no pics of that. I cut a section out of the PVC and put in two elbows and turned the flow upwards in one, and the other was for the continuation of the drain. I poured 150lbs of concrete in the bottom of the hole to support the free concrete drain tile I got from a former student.

Then I had to figure out how to pick that heavy beast of a tile up and then lower it over the PVC without breaking anything. Oh, I have no backhoe. Other than a famall 140 I am the only other "heavy" equipment around here :rolleyes:. So I broke out some primitive technology and cut some young straight poles and made a tripod to which I attached a 1 ton chain hoist. Here is where the pics begin.

This is my oldest, Michael, and my middle girl Katie waiting to help.

This is Michael hoisting up the tile while I hold it back away from the PVC. The horizontal piece of PVC is keeping the water, which I can't stop, flowing out into the pond so that the hole does not fill with water. It also kept the work area from becoming so muddy.

This is the kids posing with the tile. We had the hoist maxed out. I was just high enough that when I took the elbow off the top it would swing right over. I took lots of pics so that the kids would have memories of the work that went into this, and proof if they ever want to tell their children or grandchildren that they helped do this.

Here we have the tile lowered into position and are trying to center it.

Once the tile was in and mostly plumb it was filled with gravel, and the kids had to have a taste. It is cold, and tasty!

After the kids drank their fill, I poured concrete in the top of the tile over top of the rock and finished it into a bowl so that the water would drain back down into the pond. I put a short piece of PVC on the top to keep the water from messing up the concrete. After two days of curing, here is the finished fountain! Free, clear, clean, cold, and continuous H2O!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great project and nice way to get the kids involved in something productive outdoors!

Looks like you have a real nice piece of land, thanks for sharing!

Rob

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Nice to see some warm weather, I'm looking at fresh snow this morning! :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like you have a real nice piece of land, thanks for sharing!

Rob
Thanks! We have a small tract. 22 acres, but I love it! We have plans to buy an adjacent 10 more acres in the next year or so. We have, deer, rabbit, turkey, and ducks. A place to fish and to shoot. Heaven on earth to me!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Wow! Great pond. I'd be planting fish in that baby.

You might consider some kind of cover or casing for the PVC neck that is exposed to sunlight. Out here white schedule 40 turns gray and becomes very brittle when exposed to UV light.

You are right about the pix. Your kids will treasure them in years to come. So will you.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow! Great pond. I'd be planting fish in that baby.

You might consider some kind of cover or casing for the PVC neck that is exposed to sunlight. Out here white schedule 40 turns gray and becomes very brittle when exposed to UV light.

You are right about the pix. Your kids will treasure them in years to come. So will you.
When I bought this piece of property about 5 years ago, the pond had nearly dried up. The overflow pipe was leaking somewhere underground. I was not about to dig the pond dam up to find it, so, I did the only thing I knew to stop an underground leak in a pipe. I poured concrete down the sucker. Obviously the leak stopped, and the water level rose. It has never overflowed the dam, which I was prepared to cut in a spillway, but have never needed it.

Since that time, I have tried to stock the pond with healthy mature fish. This year, I am seeing and catching a lot of 1-2 lb bass, and hand sized bream, bluegill, etc. I put 9 BIG crappie in it 2 years ago and thought that they had all died, since I had not seen them since. I caught two this spring already. Along the edges there is an abundance of young fish which can be seen hanging about debris or swimming in schools about the size of basketballs. Another thing I did was to drastically thin the turtle population. As the water level rose so did the numbers of turtles. I counted over 50 in the pond at one time a few years ago. Old Mr. .22 began working on that. I have nothing against turtles generally, but since I dropped that number from 50 down to 5-6, it seems that the fish population has become healthier.

Next on the list is some catfish, and maybe a carp or two.

I told my wife that I feel like a homesteader, trying to hack a farm out of the wilderness. I just finished clearing a little land to put in an apple orchard. I am also putting in a small grape vineyard as well. Not to mention about 1/2 acre of garden. I love it though.

Oh, as far as the UV on the PVC. I am considering making a spring house, or at the very least a spring cover over this. I want to build a small deck around the concrete tile to make it level. It would look nicer too. However, I have so many projects running right now, that it might take another 5 years to get that done. But hey, it's like I tell my wife. I could be spending my money and time on gambling, drinking, drugs, women, or beltfeds.....she said "Ohhhh Nooooo! ANYTHING BUT BELTFEDS!" :tongue:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seems like a perfect place to try a hydraulic ram pump if you need water anywhere higher than the spring.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When I bought this piece of property about 5 years ago, the pond had nearly dried up. The overflow pipe was leaking somewhere underground. I was not about to dig the pond dam up to find it, so, I did the only thing I knew to stop an underground leak in a pipe. I poured concrete down the sucker. Obviously the leak stopped, and the water level rose. It has never overflowed the dam, which I was prepared to cut in a spillway, but have never needed it.

Since that time, I have tried to stock the pond with healthy mature fish. This year, I am seeing and catching a lot of 1-2 lb bass, and hand sized bream, bluegill, etc. I put 9 BIG crappie in it 2 years ago and thought that they had all died, since I had not seen them since. I caught two this spring already. Along the edges there is an abundance of young fish which can be seen hanging about debris or swimming in schools about the size of basketballs. Another thing I did was to drastically thin the turtle population. As the water level rose so did the numbers of turtles. I counted over 50 in the pond at one time a few years ago. Old Mr. .22 began working on that. I have nothing against turtles generally, but since I dropped that number from 50 down to 5-6, it seems that the fish population has become healthier.

Next on the list is some catfish, and maybe a carp or two.

I told my wife that I feel like a homesteader, trying to hack a farm out of the wilderness. I just finished clearing a little land to put in an apple orchard. I am also putting in a small grape vineyard as well. Not to mention about 1/2 acre of garden. I love it though.

Oh, as far as the UV on the PVC. I am considering making a spring house, or at the very least a spring cover over this. I want to build a small deck around the concrete tile to make it level. It would look nicer too. However, I have so many projects running right now, that it might take another 5 years to get that done. But hey, it's like I tell my wife. I could be spending my money and time on gambling, drinking, drugs, women, or beltfeds.....she said "Ohhhh Nooooo! ANYTHING BUT BELTFEDS!" :tongue:
For the fish, put a pole with a hook on it a couple of feet out into the water and hang a cheap Chinese made Dietz wick type oil lantern on it during the real buggy season and you'll have lots of them hitting the hot globe and falling into the water.....easy natural food introduction. A full lantern will burn all night and then some. Oh and don't use citronella oil....for obvious reasons. Any cheap

You can do the same with a wide shallow pan of water to collect dead bugs to feed chickens with.....cheap protein.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts