1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Now wouldn't that be a cool accessory to have on the Maxim.
Thanks for posting it, I never knew they existed.
I won't ask about the value of one, I think I answered that question myself.:eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Now wouldn't that be a cool accessory to have on the Maxim.
Thanks for posting it, I never knew they existed.
I won't ask about the value of one, I think I answered that question myself.:eek:
CaptMax
I had never seen a Russian indirect sight either. I believe the first use of indirect fire using machine guns was during the Russo-Japanese war in the very early 20th Century so I know the Russians had experience with that technique. The British used dial sights (and/or clinometers) for indirect fire extensively in WWI and in WWII. It would be interesting to know how much Russia used sights as panoramic and indirect sights both seem to be rare. While the US developed a panoramic sight for the M1917 Browning during WWI, I do not believe they were used very much and I believe they were dispensed with entirely in the early 1920's. I am aware that both the Japanese and especially the Germans utilized panoramic sights. Happy to hear from a more knowledgeable forum member on this subject.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
These sights seem to be fairly scarce and probably were probably not especially useful most of the time so probably were lost or abandonned. The ones that I have seen offered are in relic condition, which don't much interest me, such as the rusty one pictured in the thread.
However, there is an accessory in the pic that is exceedingly obscure, and never mentioned, and is probably a field expedient, despite appearing quite well made. The elbow rests bolted to the rear of the trail are unique and have not been identified anywhere that I know of. Anyone who has laid down behind a 1910 and spent some time firing from the prone position, quickly discovers how uncomfortable and inefficient it is to do and the elbow rests are an excellent addition.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The item Bob is interested in is circled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts