1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I would agree - but then really - what is "new" to write about concerning the Vickers that has not already been in print ? Dont get me wrong, they are great guns. I have an early C&R one myself. I like to read about them, but in reality, I am not sure you could write anything today that has not already been in print. First person interviews of guys who have used the gun would be neat. But it may be hard to find them nowadays. I guess I see this as more of an attempt to educate the "low information voter" crowd, and provide a little entertainment in the Dentist's office. Not that popular mechanics had that as a goal. But I see this as a good thing in providing information and perhaps creating interest in our "hobby".

·
11,846 Posts
someone alerted this thread for moderation. no idea why. they got another click through form me on the vickers article. at least dolf gets credit for writing most of the copy ;)

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
The reputation star is close to Report to moderator and on a dumb phone I would venture a guess someones fat fingers went straying LOL

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
What a disappointing article, this guy took already written material, through in a couple of common photos available on eBay each week, and produced something the average 12 year old could do for a homework assignment. I have one word for the article - SAD
I don't believe members of this forum make up the target audience for the article in question.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As a new Vickers owner, I was really happy to see the PM article in my news feed this morning. The info in the article was nothing I haven't read, but I'm sure a lot of people out there have never seen any of it. The fact the story about the Vickers made it out in the current political climate was a win regardless....

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more the public knows about our hobby, the less they may fear it.

Steamer
Exactly. The point in posting the link was not to illustrate the material in the article but to share the fact that an article in a national magazine was showing our interest to the public in a positive light.

No one in their right mind should expect a magazine article to go into exacting detail on such a vast subject as the Vickers. Even Dolf's book as good as it is leaves out a lot of information.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Exactly. The point in posting the link was not to illustrate the material in the article but to share the fact that an article in a national magazine was showing our interest to the public in a positive light.

No one in their right mind should expect a magazine article to go into exacting detail on such a vast subject as the Vickers. Even Dolf's book as good as it is leaves out a lot of information.
Perhaps I should have said, while it is nice to see an article in a national magazine on the Vickers MG, it was disappointing to see it was a rehash of other authors work and not an original piece of work. Perhaps that is the Internet age. They probably should have given it to Dolf to write. ;-)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts