1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has some 1919's chambered in .308 for a possible group buy.....these are izzy kits which were demilled and in real nice condition. Looking to gauge some interest from the board...Cost has not been determined yet...around $23-2400.00 Tripods might be part of the buy too.

Is this worth doing?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I think so, I haven't seen a good argument thread with death threats in months! Go for it! J
Ah, a return to the good old days! :firedevil:

Of course, Rory is pretty much out of the buying business so that cuts your possible sales by half. :rofl:

Seriously, I would be a little spooky about building up any more than a dozen or so semi-1919's for resale at anything other than fire sale prices. Most of us old timers loaded up when complete guns were less than a grand each, so you are competing for new customers against at least four established builders with sterling reputations at the same price point.

Using this board as a sales tool has disadvantages, too, because most folks come here with the idea of building their own. I came here to do that, bought completed guns at low retail, sold them later on, and ended up building a couple of post sample full autos for my own use once I had the proper licensing. That doesn't seem to be an uncommon path - other than the full auto part.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
group buy

So just to be a bit more clear.
Is the group buy for kits with possible tripods?
Or built S/A guns with possible tripods?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, a return to the good old days! :firedevil:

Of course, Rory is pretty much out of the buying business so that cuts your possible sales by half. :rofl:

Seriously, I would be a little spooky about building up any more than a dozen or so semi-1919's for resale at anything other than fire sale prices. Most of us old timers loaded up when complete guns were less than a grand each, so you are competing for new customers against at least four established builders with sterling reputations at the same price point.

Using this board as a sales tool has disadvantages, too, because most folks come here with the idea of building their own. I came here to do that, bought completed guns at low retail, sold them later on, and ended up building a couple of post sample full autos for my own use once I had the proper licensing. That doesn't seem to be an uncommon path - other than the full auto part.
What do you consider a "fire sale price"?

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Well now, let's not rain on the parade too quickly here. That price range, if it becomes reality, looks to me to be well below market value for just a built Izzy gun, let alone with tripod or other accessories. I wouldn't build and sell one for that low a price, but I have never been known as the lowest cost builder out there either. And I don't generally build on old kits anymore, my stuff being primarily new receivers in USGI spec. So give this a chance to see what it prices out at realistically. If he hits near that mark, he should sell them all pretty quick, I should think.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
What do you consider a "fire sale price"?
Bearing in mind that I'm a cheap SOB, my thought is that they would have to be in the $1,995.00 range to sell briskly. I will, however, defer to Lucky who has much, much more experience with these weapons than I do. If he says your price for semi-1919a4's built on Izzy kits is both fair and will move them out the door then it probably will.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
A built S/A 1919 in .308 with a tripod for $2,300 -$2,400 should sell well .
Your market is going to be to people that visit this board but aren't long time members/ builders on this board.
If you can make money at that price and the end product is respectable then I don't see why they won't sell.
The economy is in the toilet and .308 isn't the most economical thing to shoot out of the 1919 unless the buyer is also a re-loader.
My .02

·
12,509 Posts
A "group buy" by definition would require a discount. Normal prices of a 1919 from an unknown builder will fetch 2000-2200.

Sounds more like your buddy just wants to sell his guns. Sell them here, sell them on gb. If you sell here, do the right thing and make a donation.

Rory

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sort of related...what kind of recourse or guarantee do we have when dealing with someone on this board who offers a service and then doesnt come through? A well known person on this board offered a build service, of which I signed up for. I sent him my kit, plus another kit for partial payment and some $$$. Its been waaayyyyyyy too long, and still nothing. I get the occaisonal "still working on it". but its going on 2 1/2 years. AT this point, I just want my kits back, and he can keep the $$$. Ive asked, and no reply. I know im not the only one in this position.

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Sort of related...what kind of recourse or guarantee do we have when dealing with someone on this board who offers a service and then doesnt come through? A well known person on this board offered a build service, of which I signed up for. I sent him my kit, plus another kit for partial payment and some $$$. Its been waaayyyyyyy too long, and still nothing. I get the occaisonal "still working on it". but its going on 2 1/2 years. AT this point, I just want my kits back, and he can keep the $$$. Ive asked, and no reply. I know im not the only one in this position.
Belty you should out the SIOB so others don't get burned just start a new thread on it. We have always policed ourselves on this board and it is one of the biggest reasons I remain here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A "group buy" by definition would require a discount. Normal prices of a 1919 from an unknown builder will fetch 2000-2200.

Sounds more like your buddy just wants to sell his guns. Sell them here, sell them on gb. If you sell here, do the right thing and make a donation.

Rory
If we decide to run this buy, we will make a donation to the site.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From the breath of off topic comments and lack of real interest, looks like this buy, here, is a no go.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts