1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about making a straight pull trigger for my 8mm 1919a4. Nothing wrong with my upward pull trigger, but I'd prefer a trigger that pulled straight rearward
rather than upward.

I've been envisioning a clamshell type of trigger bar, that was milled out for the factory trigger and would clamp over it.
There would be a slot cut into the bar and a small roller bearing attached to the new trigger that went in front of that bar and that roller bearing would be in the slot.
When the new trigger was pulled straight back, that roller in the slot would force the bar to travel upward taking the factory trigger with it.
If one understands what I'm trying to describe, does this seem viable?

My other question is this. I'd like to convert my 8mm 1919a4 to 7.62x51. I have a brand new unfired 7.62x51 barrel for it but have not purchased anything else.
I'd like to take off and keep the 8mm cartridge stop and put a 7.62x51 cartridge stop in its place. I know that the orifice in the flashhider/muzzle booster
of my 8mm is larger than the orifice hole in a 7.62x51 muzzlebooster, and so even though I've had several people tell me it might work anyway, I think
I might need that smaller orifice hole 7.62x51 muzzlebooster otherwise too much gas may escape and impede proper functioning....correct?
Not being a total expert on the 1919a4, are there any other parts I would need for converting my 8mm to 7.62x51 besides the barrel I already have and the cartridge stop and muzzle booster?

Thanks, Bill.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Hey there, Bill! Long time.
I worked on something a bit different with the very same goal in mind earlier this year.
Mine fits inside the lock frame, under the trigger bar.
Held in place by gravity and what little pressure the trigger bar exerts downward.
Basically, it slides back and forth on the bottom plate.
There's a tiny steel ramp welded to the underside of the trigger bar.
The device has a small roller bearing that impinges on the little ramp when the new made, rear movement trigger is pulled.
Had to fab a slightly weaker trigger spring for it, otherwise the whole thing would lock up, or at least feel like it.
With the lock frame clamped to the bench over a scrap of aluminum to simulate the bottom plate, the new trigger actuates the trigger bar, and slides quite easily.
Inside the gun, it's a whole different story.
Then it has to contend with steel on steel friction of the device against the bottom plate floor.
Also, the pull weight of the sear spring seems to be the 'last straw', so to speak.
It goes from about a pound on the bench,to around fifteen or so inside the gun. Not good at all. It also won't let the trigger reset reliably.
I used tiny roller bearings I had lying around the shop. Need to get more for the base to ride on.
I have about two weeks straight wrapped up in it. Not giving up, just temporarily frustrated. :confused::eek:
Here's to hoping you have better luck than I did!!
"Bump" for ya! ;)

Oh yeah, You might want to think about going with the 54R conversion what with ammo prices and availability the way they are now.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
when the first ORF semis came out, we were posting pics on how to best smash a .308 casing so it would fit perfect on the trigger. :D
Yep, we used to use that custom modification a lot down in So Cal, lol.

Bill, glad to see you posting your idea here. I think there is always room for some innovative thinking, and I will look very much forward to what you come up with. You have proven to be a very ingenious fellow, so here's to your efforts!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Bill, I think I follow your idea and I think it could be made to work. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Steamer

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I wish someone would offer a copy of the military pistol grip trigger that mounted in the rear ( T&E ) hole .
I would love one on my A6 .
Chris

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I wish someone would offer a copy of the military pistol grip trigger that mounted in the rear ( T&E ) hole .
I would love one on my A6 .
Chris
I don't want to side track Bill's thread here, but just to answer the question...

Chris, is this the one you refer to?

We have already prototyped this, between myself and GSG. The pic below is all I have at hand, and it is just a corner of a pic cropped to show the Tank Gun, laying flat there. Can't really see the auxiliary trigger, though it's shadow shows up well. It's coming, just not so high on the list as other items right now. Contact me privately about this and I'll give you more info.

Found the pic I was looking for, so here ya go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new barrel
new booster
new cart stop

you are ready to rumble.
Great, thanks Rory. I also seem to remember a video I watched on YouTube on doing a cartridge conversion.
If I remember correctly, there was something else I needed to replace that was close and sort of to the rear
of the cartridge input slot. But I can't remember what that was. Am I remembering incorrectly? I hope so
because I already have the new barrel and that would mean like you said, that I just need the 7.62x51 muzzle booster and cartridge stop.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey there, Bill! Long time.
I worked on something a bit different with the very same goal in mind earlier this year.
Mine fits inside the lock frame, under the trigger bar.
Held in place by gravity and what little pressure the trigger bar exerts downward.
Basically, it slides back and forth on the bottom plate.
There's a tiny steel ramp welded to the underside of the trigger bar.
The device has a small roller bearing that impinges on the little ramp when the new made, rear movement trigger is pulled.
Had to fab a slightly weaker trigger spring for it, otherwise the whole thing would lock up, or at least feel like it.
With the lock frame clamped to the bench over a scrap of aluminum to simulate the bottom plate, the new trigger actuates the trigger bar, and slides quite easily.
Inside the gun, it's a whole different story.
Then it has to contend with steel on steel friction of the device against the bottom plate floor.
Also, the pull weight of the sear spring seems to be the 'last straw', so to speak.
It goes from about a pound on the bench,to around fifteen or so inside the gun. Not good at all. It also won't let the trigger reset reliably.
I used tiny roller bearings I had lying around the shop. Need to get more for the base to ride on.
I have about two weeks straight wrapped up in it. Not giving up, just temporarily frustrated. :confused::eek:
Here's to hoping you have better luck than I did!!
"Bump" for ya! ;)

Oh yeah, You might want to think about going with the 54R conversion what with ammo prices and availability the way they are now.
Hi Rugman. Yes it's been a while. Your device sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, we used to use that custom modification a lot down in So Cal, lol.

Bill, glad to see you posting your idea here. I think there is always room for some innovative thinking, and I will look very much forward to what you come up with. You have proven to be a very ingenious fellow, so here's to your efforts!
Hey Lucky13. I'm going to work on it when I get the time. With a telescoping trigger shoe that has a roller bearing in it that sides in an angled slot plate that goes over the trigger, I think it would be possible to pull the telescoping trigger directly rearward while the roller bearing forces the angled slot in the plate upward taking the trigger with it. That should give a straight rearward trigger pull. Idea seems sound, have to make it and see, when I get time.

You've got to come over our way and do some more 1919 shoots Lucky13. We had a nice one about two weeks ago. Here's some clips from it.

Me crank firing my Browning 1919a4 8mm on MG42 anti-aircraft tripod.

http://vid425.photobucket.com/album... shooting semi auto 1919a4 crank fire gun.mp4

It was rocking more than I liked on the AA tripod, so using an adapter, I've now mounted it to my MG3 tripod with original battery powered lighted periscope scope and still
using my Emory Jones crank to crankfire it. That should keep her from rocking.

Me bumpfiring a not full mag out of my Fostech Outdoors Bumpski bumpfiring stock on my semi AK and my stepson crankfiring the Browning.

http://vid425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/Bill_Akins/shooting video clips/20150926_130337.mp4

A friend crankfiring the 8mm 1919a4.

http://vid425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/Bill_Akins/shooting video clips/20150926_130527.mp4

I'm firing my Fostech Outdoors bumpfiring Bumpski stock on my semi AK. If you look carefully past my 8mm 1919a4 and my 3rd prototype water cooled Ruger 10/22 on their tripods, you can see me on the other side of them doing a mag dump.

http://vid425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/Bill_Akins/shooting video clips/20150926_131428.mp4

A friend shooting his Fostech Bumpski stock on his RPK.

http://vid425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/Bill_Akins/shooting video clips/20150926_130747.mp4

Another friend shooting the Fostech Bumpski stock on the RPK.

http://vid425.photobucket.com/albums/pp331/Bill_Akins/shooting video clips/20150926_131332.mp4

And some still photos.

Maxim on a wheeled Sololov mount minus the armor shield.

L to R. AK, Thompson, Italian subgun, MG08/15, and under the paper I think an M3 grease gun.

L to R. Two Italian sub guns, an AR and an Australian Owen.

MG42 on Lafette tripod with extra barrel case/cooler.

WW1 design Danish Madsen and PPS43 and SKS rifle

Another angle of Maxim on wheeled Sokalov mount

MG34 on Lafette tripod.

WW1 design Danish Madsen and MG34

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Now that's some nice looking hardware, Bill! I look forward to seeing how your Crankfire set up works on the MG3 ground pod. When I was still in CA, I bought one of the Spade Grip Crankfires to keep out in Vegas. I found the recoil mechanism of the MG3 pod made it a little harder to get a rhythm, so I have always meant to try again with an adapter that did not work the springs, or else try that red piece that was for blank firing and, I believe, limits the spring travel. Never got back on that, but I need to. Keep us up to date.

I really enjoyed that Hernando shoot a couple of years ago. Have a few friends to see in FL, so I need to see about making another trip, when business obligations and extra funds allow. Would be great to see all the guys again out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts