1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Today I was watching the 2 Gatling guns.
I liked the idea of the "Army/Battery" model displayed in the lobby at APEX.
Well, it went low as I expected, but a bit more than I wanted to buy it for.
The "Navy" model, WOW, it went way higher than it should have!
I have seen used new made, used COLT bulldog models offered at a lower price.
It must have been 2 on-site bidders.

Richard

·
Registered
108 Posts
The auctioneers have a lot of leeway in how they conduct things and if there seems to be little interest in an item they'll run it through fast. Phone bidders sometimes get ignored because the person on the auction end of the phone is picking their nose or otherwise not letting the main guys know they have someone on their line. When you sign up to phone bid you normally give them an item number or maybe more than one so they do have an idea how many folks are waiting on the phone to bid. Another problem that seems to happen occasionally is that you get your call for an item about the time it pops up on the stage. They can't know in advance how fast or slow things will go and sometimes they guess wrong. Its a pain and any of us who have bid by phone know the frustration of not even getting a chance at something we wanted. Poulin isn't alone in doing this.

In the last couple years it seems more and more that the winning bidders are either online or on the phone. I have a lot of friends who have been bidding in person for years and they all tell me that the number of in person bidders has been dropping and the number of items selling to absentee bidders has skyrocketed. From the way prices are going and the calls I get to evaluate or repair stuff I believe the bidders are not gun people but collector/investor types. I've had a couple guys tell me they had stuff for sale and when I ask them the prices they're looking for they are way out of line with the market. Every time it has been someone who bought via auction and either bid til they got it or started at such a high price no one else bid. Lots of money out there in the hands of people with little knowledge of what they're buying but they're not worried about spending what it takes to get their wish.

I can tell you that the buyers of today are no longer shooters like us. WIth ammo prices and availability where they are how many can afford to run a few thousand down range....?

Frank

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
There are plenty of people for whom $15k or $90k are nothing. Maybe they own several properties, have a great Roth, who knows. The stock market crash lost me a lot of money, but here and now hasn’t changed anything. Those with great wealth are probably in a better financial situation with more cash, stocks be damned. And I know a few who not long ago bought United stock at $18, doubled money in a month. What better place than a Vickers to put that extra cash?

And then there are credit cards.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The auctioneers have a lot of leeway in how they conduct things and if there seems to be little interest in an item they'll run it through fast. ...
In the last couple years it seems more and more that the winning bidders are either online or on the phone....
I can tell you that the buyers of today are no longer shooters like us. WIth ammo prices and availability where they are how many can afford to run a few thousand down range....?

Frank
There has long been a non-shooting collector's market. Look at IMA, 99% of their customers aren't shooters.

Note too that many of "us" (I mean us here) may be shooters, but we're restorers, not 10,000 round shooters. Almost everyone here I know personally is more interested in the history and restoration than shooting. Not that we don't have the ammo, we do. But time is limited, and it's being spent on accumulating the correct parts and restoring these pieces.

I used to race BMWs, and realized I enjoyed working on them more than racing. That's not bad, or wrong, it's just the way it is. Racing is a joy; wrenching is to me more satisfying. Sounds silly, but there are many like that, and many more like that in the belt fed world.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Some time back I bid thru an auction companies web site.
The item of interest closed at the amount I bid, well in advance of the auction.
However, I was not the winner.
A few days later I called and made it clear I understood the auctioneer has final say on who is the buyer.
I just wanted to understand how this determination is made in a case like mine.
One of the "rules" of this game is that any bidder "onsite" gets preference if they bid same as someone on-line or by phone.
I thought for a moment and reversed roles, yep, if you are willing to travel (time & expenses) you should get something for your trouble!
So now I know.
One day I want to attend one of these big firearms auctions with a bunch of very collectible guns!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
One day I want to attend one of these big firearms auctions with a bunch of very collectible guns!
That’s easy! Put YOUR collectible guns up for auction. Then you can attend the auction, see some awesome guns, and leave with a wad of cash!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have attended these auctions. there are people there with really large wads of cash. If you think MGs are expensive, you need to look at the world of Winchester and COLT. I sat behind a guy who looked like a farmer who just got off the combine - JD hat and bibs. Dirty ones. He dropped about $150k on a couple of lever rifles in about 10 minutes. The old cowboy guns, the nice ones with history or documentation, go for really big bucks. All those other gun in the fancy RIA catolog can be a real source of dollars. I personally know folks in the MG world who can write a check for $1 Mill. for a whole pallet of collectible stuff ( and have) . The comment above about money is correct - there are a lot of gun and non gun people who can write a check for $10k or 100k and not really feel it. Those folks decide they want an item, and don't really care that it is over market .....

·
11,189 Posts
if any of you with piles of money are looking for a poor kid to sponsor, i'm your guy. just sayin.

·
Registered
516 Posts
That’s easy! Put YOUR collectible guns up for auction. Then you can attend the auction, see some awesome guns, and leave with a wad of cash!
That is an interesting idea.
I have sold off a lot of guns in the past couple of years, 2-4 at a time on consignment.
Attending your own "estate auction" could be fun.
At least then the new owner will get the "story" that goes with some of the guns in my "accumulation"

21 - 31 of 31 Posts