1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen;

Given the current pricing on ammo, and the fact that the semi auto 1919 is far from a sniper rifle, I've been experimenting with cast, gas checked, and powder coated bullets. The bullets drop at 146 grains and end up at about 153 with checks and all. I've been pushing these using 39 grains of 4895 (not looking at it right now so don't hold me to that).

This is enough to cycle the action and shows zero leading, albeit with only about 25 rounds so far. All good.

The problem is the availability of moulds for the 7.62x51 form. The mould I have loads out ~125 thousands short and behaves as the dreaded short round, won't feed.

What would need to be done, if anything can be done, to get these to feed? Right now I'm intending on trying to machine a custom spacer based on the 7.62x51 spacer, thicker and with a modified bullet stop.

What's the consensus? Will this work or will something else need to be done?

All replies welcome, even 'that's the stupidest idea I ever heard'

Thanks
ges

·
11,678 Posts
I think someone glued a nylon strip to their stop to give an extra smudge of space.

that was a while ago and couldn’t find the thread

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Rorys right , just add a spacer...Also don't make the ammo too tight in the feedway...(Gun headspaced to your ammo with bolt fully forward)..... You can have as much as 0.040 of play between the bolt face and the spacer before you start to have issues....I just cranked out 800rds of pulled projectiles that would seat all over the place due to different makers and smashed tips...They would vary between 2.800 to 2.770...The lower ones I checked in the feedway to make sure that the ( extracter tooth ) was falling on the north side of the rim...(On my gun) the ideal OAL is between 2.795 and 2.780...Anything higher would drag , anything lower may not get grabbed by the tooth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hadn't thought of gluing in a spacer, That would be ideal as I don't want to make a permanent change.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I think someone glued a nylon strip to their stop to give an extra smudge of space.

that was a while ago and couldn’t find the thread

I did that and it worked for one shoot. I wanted to use up a lot that was just a smidge short and it worked.

Me

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Have you considered a heavier bullet, or having a custom mold made?
I'm using a 220 grain bullet with gas check and surplus fifty cal powder. This avoids the same length issue you see, and much cheaper powder. I've not yet tried powder coated outside pistol rounds.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only looked at current offerings and wanted to stay with a ~150 grain bullet. The rounds load at about 2.61 total. Compared with 2.75 to 2.8 with pulls. Using an NOE spire point mold.
I’ve started down the path of a spacer like the ones the Israelies put in the 7.62x51 so far so good, it’s not an especially complicated part and has the advantage of being easily swapped out.
Gunner 50 I’m a bit confused. Not very unusual really. Headspace shouldn’t be affected by bullet length, should it? The gauges index off the shoulder.
One more data point since I posted. These rounds work flawlessly in my PTR 91. Not got around to accuracy testing yet. PTR recommends not using rounds fired in their rifles for reloading (fluted chamber) but I’ve never seen an issue.
thanks to all
ges

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
One of my buddies recently got his first 1919. He will be shooting mostly blanks. He actually went online and ordered a rare earth magnet that was just the right size to shim his front cartridge guide and runs blanks flawlessly. When he wants to use live rounds he pops the magnet off.

I thought that was brilliant!

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Gunner 50 I’m a bit confused. Not very unusual really. Headspace shouldn’t be affected by bullet length, should it? The gauges index off the shoulder.
Was trying to point out OAL in feedway with my comment....If the bolt is headspacing off the barrel , and you run a tight headspace , you have more clearance in your feedway...(from bolt face to spacer)...As you loosen up the headspace you lose clearance in your feedway because the bolt is moving forward with each click...This is where OAL comes into play....If your ammo is running long , (lets say 2.800).. and your clearance from bolt face to spacer in full lockup is 2.775 then a couple of things can happen...When the bolt slams forward you will be shoving the projectile into the case...If your lucky it just reseats the bullet deeper into the case...or it could split your case neck if the round is at a angle in the feedway, because it's too long to sit flat...Worst case , the bullet dose not budge at all and dose not allow the bolt to fully chamber/support the round in the chamber.....And BOOM , you have to buy a new topcover ...As a said before, OAL in the 1919 is vary important...Too short and the gun will not cycle... Too long and you get split case necks and OOB's....Each gun is different due to part spec , aftermarket parts like barrels and spacers ...How the gun was built...Don't even get me started on the 8mm conversion because that gets tricky...Since this thread was about reloading for the 1919 , I was only offering my observations of (my gun)...YMMV....HTH......GUNNER 50

·
Registered
209 Posts
One of my buddies recently got his first 1919. He will be shooting mostly blanks. He actually went online and ordered a rare earth magnet that was just the right size to shim his front cartridge guide and runs blanks flawlessly. When he wants to use live rounds he pops the magnet off.

I thought that was brilliant!

That's a great idea, any chance of a link to the correctly sized magnets ?
DanG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh. I see. With the difference I have in OAL that would be a recipe for disaster.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts