1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few in the house. All that have an incandescent bulb with the red lens inside the rocker switch have something in common.
Two things, actually.
They flicker a little now and then. No big deal, right?

How about this;?

In the dark at night, if I shine a flashlight on one, the flickering stops immediately and the light goes fully on, solid. Move the light beam away, and the flickering resumes.
What the hell is that about?? One's fairly new and a couple are from when I had the old apartment. Some were my Dad's.
The LED indicator types don't seem to do it at all. Just a steady light.
Do you guys have some that do this??

It had me wondering if there was a friggin light sensor in there that shouldn't be there.:confused:

They are all different brands from different stores purchased years apart.

Is some pervert being bored to tears watching me not touch myself at night?:rofl:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sounds like the lamp or LED in the switch is reaching it's end of life.

LED last longer but, everything has a life.

No issues, just keep on using them.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
It is a "Nixi tube" Neon gas in bulb with two long parallel pole type electrodes in the envelope for all intents it is a Neon tube light (think beer sign ) they normally operate at 15-20,000 V at 120 V the gas is barely excited into producing light so they flicker as seen in vid you add extra photons (light) which is energy they quit flickering ,you take excess light away they go dark .The Neon is still passing electrons but not at a level to produce photons (light ).

I used to use them as a "Load" when i built HVT boards amping 9V DC up to 120-220V AC (Nixi here ) then taking that voltage and amping it up to 20,000 V EHT- or + to run IR conversion tubes for night vision .

P.S. Nixi Tubes are as long lived as LED`s but are able to take under and over voltage without damage and they last longer than LED`s !

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have about nine power strips in use a couple of them in the garage and five in the basement, but only two of the old flickering red light type. And yes when you shine a light on them they do appear to stop flickering but I believe it is just an optical allusion (or maybe an obstacle delusion). I think the light you are using is just blanking out the flicker which is still there but you don't see it. It look to me that the only part that flickers is the outside edges of the red light but the center is more or less constant. The outer area is small and dim and seems to disappear when a light is shined on it. Another theory is that the light you shine on it is just reflecting back and blocking out the flicker.

But I like Belt fed frogs theory better.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have a few in the house. All that have an incandescent bulb with the red lens inside the rocker switch have something in common.
Two things, actually.
They flicker a little now and then. No big deal, right?

How about this;?

In the dark at night, if I shine a flashlight on one, the flickering stops immediately and the light goes fully on, solid. Move the light beam away, and the flickering resumes.
What the hell is that about?? One's fairly new and a couple are from when I had the old apartment. Some were my Dad's.
The LED indicator types don't seem to do it at all. Just a steady light.
Do you guys have some that do this??

It had me wondering if there was a friggin light sensor in there that shouldn't be there.:confused:

They are all different brands from different stores purchased years apart.

Is some pervert being bored to tears watching me not touch myself at night?:rofl:
It seems to me that there is something radically missing in your life if you have the time to ponder a flashing neon switch at night. Now you have me thinking about those damn things that are all over the house and they all flash. ARRRRRGGGGG.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Armorer,
You don`t make Neon for a living without learning something i admit i did it when i was a teenager But i still have my torches for bending and bonding glass tubes (the bonding torch works Great for annealing Brass !!!)

Both Neon and Nixi tubes have a tiny bit of mercury in them which is atomized in the gas to help it carry current ,i can remember when "Neon" only came in three colors and all the tubing was clear glass :eek: OOPS dated my self :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you know that several recent on post NASA probes use Neon gas propellant ION Propulsion engines ?:cool::cool::cool: slow but constant acceleration with velocities WAY higher than chemical rockets and a few pounds of Neon last for Years of propulsion time !!!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have about nine power strips in use a couple of them in the garage and five in the basement, but only two of the old flickering red light type. And yes when you shine a light on them they do appear to stop flickering but I believe it is just an optical allusion (or maybe an obstacle delusion). I think the light you are using is just blanking out the flicker which is still there but you don't see it. It look to me that the only part that flickers is the outside edges of the red light but the center is more or less constant. The outer area is small and dim and seems to disappear when a light is shined on it. Another theory is that the light you shine on it is just reflecting back and blocking out the flicker.

But I like Belt fed frogs theory better.
A couple of them go completely dark for a second or so every now and then, but the light bring it back bright and steady.
I'll bet the Frog's right on this too.

I'm almost disappointed the goobermint don't love me enough to spy on me. :D
Almost, but not quite. :)

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Ruggy ,
Got a new TV ? if you do it is Listening to everything in the house !! Just being a member here means the NSA is watching You :eek::eek::eek::tongue:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ruggy ,
Got a new TV ? if you do it is Listening to everything in the house !! Just being a member here means the NSA is watching You :eek::eek::eek::tongue:
I've known about the TV and cellphone bit for quite some time now. Sad, isn't it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts