1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this junk ammo I've used the 3006 and 8 mm the powder dosent want to burn. I've pulled a bunch of the 8mm apart and put federal mag primers thinking the primers were hard but they still would not fire. Pulled them apart and the primer is burnt as if went off. The 3006 were bad about this to but not near as bad as the 8mm. Some fire fine others the gun can beat the primer to death and no bang. Using the 8mm in an mg-53 (mg-42) and a Mauser. Anyone else have problems with the ammo

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
new or old production??

I've had loads of problems with newer fiocchi/prvi 32acp and it's super duper hard primers. bought a bunch of older prvi from about 8 years ago so i'll see how that works. About everything european made with a boxer primer , the primers are so damn hard anymore .

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Never had a problem with PPU. Good brass for reloading as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's brand new there should be no reason for the problem. Brass isn't the problem it seems to be good powder just won't burn I use there components to reload with because it's cheap but there ammo isn't reliable.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've not had any problems with any of the PPU I've bought and it's all been of recent manufacture. Sorry to hear you're having issues. Let us know what you find out may be the issue with it.

Frank in GA.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
OP, How about posting a LOT # of your ammo so others have a reference to check any ammo they might have??

I don't use it but this is the first problem I've ever heard of with PPU ammo, as far as I've known their ammo has always been good to go.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I've shot a lot of PPU in a variety of calibers without an issue. Please post the caliber and lot number. Must be a bad lot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't have the boxes took the rounds out of the boxes and load them straight to the MG belts. I pulled the no fires down primers went off just no powder durn. Only thing I can think of is the type of powder. It reminds me of accurate 5744 for old 45-70 rounds real big stick powder and it wouldn't burn right always a bunch of unburnt powder. I got the ammo from lucky gunner might be old stock. The 7.62x25 shoots great the 8mm sucks who knows.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have tried the x25 in several autos and haven't had a problem. x54 in a PKM wasn't strong enough to cycle the gun even on the highest gas setting.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Never had any issue with PPU ammo. Absolutely reliable.

·
Banned
169 Posts
A very serious problem

Don't have the boxes took the rounds out of the boxes and load them straight to the MG belts. I pulled the no fires down primers went off just no powder durn. Only thing I can think of is the type of powder. It reminds me of accurate 5744 for old 45-70 rounds real big stick powder and it wouldn't burn right always a bunch of unburnt powder. I got the ammo from lucky gunner might be old stock. The 7.62x25 shoots great the 8mm sucks who knows.
Based on what you say about the primer going off but you discovered no powder is a seriously quality problem in that the industrial machines loading are not dropping the powered. The loading machines in this case are not properly maintained or adjusted and they are not using a weigh & gauge machine to reject the too light loaded cartridges

Back the early 2000s before the 105 year old INDEP plant in Portugal closed (otherwise very good reputation) we learned they sent ammunition to the UK MOD, some without primers. Sad for an otherwise good factory and good people. We bough some of their last small DWM and Hertinberger loading and priming machines in 2005

If the Mfg you are taking about is shipping ammunition that is loaded with projectiles and primers but without powder its not age, but rather their quality control is goinh to hell in a race for money and they apparently have little or no ethical standards, or care about the future of their own factory

Who is the Mfg, or what is their case headstamp?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Based on what you say about the primer going off but you discovered no powder is a seriously quality problem in that the industrial machines loading are not dropping the powered. The loading machines in this case are not properly maintained or adjusted and they are not using a weigh & gauge machine to reject the too light loaded cartridges

Back the early 2000s before the 105 year old INDEP plant in Portugal closed (otherwise very good reputation) we learned they sent ammunition to the UK MOD, some without primers. Sad for an otherwise good factory and good people. We bough some of their last small DWM and Hertinberger loading and priming machines in 2005

If the Mfg you are taking about is shipping ammunition that is loaded with projectiles and primers but without powder its not age, but rather their quality control is goinh to hell in a race for money and they apparently have little or no ethical standards, or care about the future of their own factory

Who is the Mfg, or what is their case headstamp?
The OP said there is powder, its just not lighting off. The brand is PPU.

·
Banned
169 Posts
The OP said there is powder, its just not lighting off. The brand is PPU.
Thank you for the clarification. If the powder lot is this bad its still a PPU/Privi Partisan AQ issue as all Mfg are supposed to qualify the powder

Any idea on the age?

Privi ammunition goes from excellent to poor but you don't know what you are going to get. Serbia still has a serious corruption problem as "a way of doing business" Good people coupled with gangsters and Privi has a mix of them. As the buyer of a large multi million (100s of millions) European smallarms ammunition Mfg said to me about 6 years ago about the director he would not trust him any father then he could throw him and that is a sad statement for a factory with real potential. One U.S. Importer said some people a Privi don't know how to read a technical drawing and an RCMP member recounted how Federal damaged their reputation with the RCMP but using Privi Components that failed . I take no pleasure in saying this as Serbia really needs the hard currency, but the corruption and ethics will cripple their future.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I have tried the x25 in several autos and haven't had a problem. x54 in a PKM wasn't strong enough to cycle the gun even on the highest gas setting.
That comes from using light ball for rifles and/or ammunition loaded to European CIP civilians standards like SAMMI spec for liability reasons for civlian shooters and primarily bolt guns and SVDs that will feed CIP. Both are civilian standards without enough recoil impulse to cycle a gas feed machine gun dragging and cycling a belt through the gun. To do this properly you need Eastern Standard spec ammunition for Soviet/Chinese pattern automatic smallarms. This is similar to U.S. Mil Spec/Nato Stanag for U.S./Nato smallarms and these standards have no comparison to SAMMI/ or CIP. Pictatinny was going to make the same mistake in 2008 after the AEY scandal. Fortunately people like Bill Sanville listened unlike the Canadian donkeys in PWGSC a year later who refused to listen to experience and ran SAMMI spec contracts because they were only interested in the sound of their own voice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts