1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where the 1919s are being demilled at/from?

Would it be possible to IMPORT a 1919 RSP, but prior to import have the raised portion MIG'd/TIG'd in place, making it a SEMI receiver?

I would LLOOOVVVEEEEE to have an ORIGINAL RSP, but with the raised portion in place......

Anyone know how to even inquire about this????

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
Once a machinegun, always a machinegun by ATFE rulings

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then how are just about ALL of the rewelded BRENS and MG-34's staying legal?

Most all use original cut recievers welded back together, but WITHOUT the ability to use the FA bolt / boltgroup.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The once a machine gun applies until the item is properly demilled, then it is scrap metal. Whether an approval letter for a rewelded RSP with attached raised area could be obtained has yet to be seen or tried. At the very least it would be cool to have one of those knifes made out of a portion of the RSP with the markings still intact on the blade. I think a picture of one of these knifes was posted on the site before. If anyone has any leads please PM me, thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
DOUBLE8 said:
Once a machinegun, always a machinegun by ATFE rulings

Why do people continue to spout this nonsense when they are several ATF rulings that say using a properly demiled receiver is ok???

·
Registered
364 Posts
pfarber said:
Then how are just about ALL of the rewelded BRENS and MG-34's staying legal?

Most all use original cut recievers welded back together, but WITHOUT the ability to use the FA bolt / boltgroup.
It could have something to do with the ease of welding a 1919a4 RSP back together and just filing the welds flat and having a full-auto ready to go compared to all the machining required after welding a BREN reciever back together "8 hour" rule?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
A while back I had a discussion with a very "in the groove" firearms gurue. He told me that someone had submitted a sideplate with the raised portion welded in place for approval and the rulling was that the metal had to be one piece, no weld ups, no bolt ons nothing that could possible be knocked off to return the receiver to full auto status.

M1 Tanker, there is a lot of merrit in the "once a machine gun always a machine gun" Go look at the M1 carbines misstamped M2 and try to tell ATF that they are semis. different rullings are for different situations. Nobody want to go to jail here, Hotch

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
M1 Tanker said:
Why do people continue to spout this nonsense when they are several ATF rulings that say using a properly demiled receiver is ok???
Spouting off???
How the hell is welding a bar to it DEMILLING?
Read hotchkiss's post.

·
1,947 Posts
Ernie Wrenn in N. Augusta, SC was taken to court last November by the ATF over a semi-auto Maxim ( and other issues) that he had built using the front 3" and rear 3" of a demilled Maxim RSP.

He had made a filler section, that had raised areas that extended over the front and rear sections, welded it all in place, and was charged with building a machine gun.

The illegal MG charges were finally dropped in a plea bargain deal - a whole ‘nother story - but trying to “economize” his build got him in a lot of hot water.

The BREN’s are OK because someone – Historic Arms – took the time to submit a sample to the ATF and get it classified a “firearm” – In other words, approved.

Regards,
Orin

·
LEGENDARY BULLY!
6,488 Posts
What I would like to know is where did the roll stamping dies go to ,, THAT would be nice to find. I haven't seen anyone offering that service,, not engraving but the original roll stamping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
About 4 years ago...

About 4 years ago I recall Todd at ORF selling a M2HB semi he built with the back half of the RSP, preserving the AC marlings. $5K as I recall. Advertised on these boards. UncleB

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well.. every welder in the entire world will tell you that if you put down a huge blob of weld... it IS one piece of metal.

I don't mean that you weld in a bar, I mean that you build up the raised portion with a whole heck of a lot of wire.

Unless *someone* rats it out.. who would know? THey would have to look pretty close to see where the original metal stops and the weld starts.

Niether using a welded in plate or one piece of milled steel is difficult to make it go away.. a $25 Harbour Freight grinder and about 20 minutes you are done.

·
1,947 Posts
pfarber said:
Unless *someone* rats it out.. who would know? THey would have to look pretty close to see where the original metal stops and the weld starts.
It's this attitude towards ATF rules and regulations that eventually get us more restrictive laws and regulations and if you don't think the ATF monitors these boards, then you truly do have your head stuck in the sand.

The simple suggestion that someone break the law is a comment that doesn't need to be posted on this or any other public forum.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please go find your tin foil hat... I have no need for your comment.

I am FULLY aware that, if the asshats in the gubment wants you or me, they have the LIMITLESS resources of the Federal gubment to do it.

What I am proposing is FULLY LEGAL under the currently applied approval letter... please reread it and let me know where it says that the semi RSP MUST be milled from a new steel plate.

This discussion simply points out that ANY machine gun laws are completely arbitrary.

And if you think that ANY semi CANNOT be converted to FA in less than a few MINUTES (DEFINATELY under the 8 hour rule) you have precious little mechanical engineering ability.

·
1,947 Posts
pfarber said:
Unless *someone* rats it out.. who would know?
I believe that quote states your position quite clearly.

Regards,
Orin

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks Roc, I was wondering the same thing. Where are the original roll stampers? Why couldn't a class 3 dealer or manufacturer get an original RHSP?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts