1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This machine bugs me to no end. I swear it's possessed sometimes.
Pistol, rifle, it don't care. It mangles primers. All brands of primers. It don't care, it's not prejudiced.
All types and head stamps. Commercial and/or properly prepared mil. spec brass with swaged OR reamed pockets. It don't matter. Out of ten cases, about two will get a primer mucked up in it. Or not get one at all sometimes. Frequently, actually

Pulled down and reassembled using newfangled alignment tool that slips into powder die, lined up with primer seating punch hole.
Lined up new primer assy. over punch. Well centered and snugged down.
Changed out old priming assembly and realigned with a new one to no avail.
SOS, DD. Very tiresome.
Nothing seems to help.
Sent the whole damn works to Dillon for repair. Thought they sent me a new one. Nope, just cleaned up really nice and shiny. No frigging wonder it has the same issues.
This fookin blows goats.
Primers are damned expensive anymore. Why don't I open a sleeve of one thousand and just toss two packs in the chitter!?!?!?
Save time and exasperation.
This has been going on over a period of over a year..................................................

·
Registered
316 Posts
Does your shell plate index tightly? Check for rotational movement after the index ball is seated. Had this problem also and found I had the wrong size ball in the shell plate index spring. Installed the larger one and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Check the primer Seating stem as well. It is two pieces pressed together, and mine was coming apart. It caused all sorts of weird problems. If you can see the knurling where the two halves go together, it's not good.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Something else just occurred to me: Whenever I run military brass that has been swaged, about one in ten will jam up. Instead of forcing the primer, which will squish and jam up the works, I use a deburring tool to ream the pocket. I used to not do this, and kept having the same problem over and over. Now I just buckle down and ream the pockets that need it the first time through, and the problem goes away.

This is for brass that was supposedly swaged TWICE, and it still had the same 1 in 10 jamming up.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
You might ask over at the Brian Enos forum - see link. there seems to be a lot experience over there. I have 3 650s, bought two used and the one I bought new has a bazillion rds through it. I have loaded 45, 9mm 40 S&W, 30 carbine, 380 ACP - No real issues. My guess is there is some doo-hicky ( tech term) either the wrong size ( small vs large primer) or mis adjusted. All of my issues over the years have been operator induced.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

·
Registered
316 Posts
Out of all the potential issues that can arise with the 650, this is one that needs attention. As witness to 2 primer feed system detonations, it's something you don't want to experience, especially with a full feed tube. If it does, you will be glad you have both eye and hearing protection on and wish you had a leather welding jacket on also.

I can attest that ceiling sheetrock is no match for a full magazine of primers leaving the tube heading for the moon. Whatever the issue is, get it figured out and fixed before you experience the fireworks.

·
11,813 Posts
I ended up hand priming all brass before loading with that blue hunk of poo. Then a friend took it off my hands, certain that it was user error. Now he's hand priming everything.

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Training,safety and patience...

I NEVER sell Dillon's w/o someone first being a competent reloader. Have taught over 750 folks how to reload...on a single stage machine FIRST. If they are ready to progress to a Dillon,then I'm happy to help them along. I even go and set the machine up for them in many cases. Or even show them the process on the machines in my display area. I've never had a primer explode on a Dillon...but others have...and they were not careful enough to feel the difference. Experience is the best teacher. Many of the problems stated here can be fixed easily and many others are user errors. If you don't read,don't follow directions and do not ask for assistance when there is a problem...then you might as well save your money and stay with a single stage machine. Every person that has bought a Dillon at my shop has been successful at reloading vast amounts of ammo at great cost savings. And they all come around later to tell me so....LOL.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I NEVER sell Dillon's w/o someone first being a competent reloader. Have taught over 750 folks how to reload...on a single stage machine FIRST. If they are ready to progress to a Dillon,then I'm happy to help them along. I even go and set the machine up for them in many cases. Or even show them the process on the machines in my display area. I've never had a primer explode on a Dillon...but others have...and they were not careful enough to feel the difference. Experience is the best teacher. Many of the problems stated here can be fixed easily and many others are user errors. If you don't read,don't follow directions and do not ask for assistance when there is a problem...then you might as well save your money and stay with a single stage machine. Every person that has bought a Dillon at my shop has been successful at reloading vast amounts of ammo at great cost savings. And they all come around later to tell me so....LOL.
You are hereby formally invited to my home. All amenities will be at your disposal. All the 9mm you can burn through a Sterling clone smg in two hours will be included.
Just get this Smurfing machine running right! ;)

This machine has detonated over ten primers at least over the last two years. Only one at a time, Thank GOD. The damn thing still makes me nervous.

This batch of .223;

All brass went through swager. I re-swaged AND reamed thirty cases of same head stamped brass for a control test. Still two of ten failures.

The brass was full length resized on an RCBS single stage.

Swaged on a Dillon Super Swage 600. (not impressed by the way.)
I reamed and hand primed about 900 .308 mil. crimped brass without on issue, just FYI.

Length trimmed with a Giraud trimmer.
(On the next go round, I should have the Giraud annealer in and running, hopefully.) money, money.

The primer punch is new. The old one cracked at the head.

Fresh nylon indexing ring.

New priming assy.

All adapters are checked by color and numbers, properly installed.

NEW cam is set to use the short side, (rifle)

Loaded cartridge ejector wire spring is new.

Station 1 locator is new.

Platform is new.

Hell, almost everything is new but the press body and the shell plate. Seriously.
Dillon has really put out the parts trying to get this thing figured out. I totally give the credit for trying at least. I now have almost enough spare parts to build a complete 650, minus press body.

Shellplate is only just barely free. No excess movement in ANY direction. Rocking, etc.

Dillon has told me the only problem with loading primers are the fault of the primer companies; Out of round, etc.
I've tried Remington, Federal, Sellior & Bellot and CCI so far. All have the same luck. Not much.

It's wadding up commercial, non crimped cases too.

I have no sizing/decapping die in the press. Just the primer, powder charge, seat and crimp in one go.
I did all the tedious hard stuff by hand.
It's not like I'm asking too much from the press.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Interesting. For some folks, it does not like to prime the brass. I wonder what is going on. I assume for most of us, the silly machine just does it's job with no fuss. At least, that has been my experience. Then again, I started on a lee, and those things are finicky.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
It is a man made mechanical device after all, with mine I can feel when a primer is not going in correctly, is your plate indexing correctly? alot of people cut the spring under the ball to make the indexing less of a shock so it wont shake powder out of the case.

There are a number of posibilites Slugish indexing, as in the plates not centering the unprimed case over the primer correctly, powder in the grove so the case isnt allowed into the correct position in plate, weak spring in the little arm that pushes the case in snug at the primimg station. Just some thoughts

have you tried a different shell plate or different brand of primer?

·
11,813 Posts
well, according to len there must not be any machine errors. its all user.

For mine, there is a minor line up issue. the other stations are fine but it tries to feed the primer just off center. started with calls to dillon that convinced me it was in fact a user issue. so i really kept at it. then after serious frustration another battery of calls to dillon. they then sent me a tool that was supposed to fix the problem that isn't a real problem. so you mean to tell me you mass produced a tool for an error that does not exist?

the tool did not fix my issue. I was ready to box it up and send to dillon to figure out what the issue was. then my friend took it off my hands.

he's ready to send it back to dillon now.

r

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
...sometimes...

Rory is correct,as usually is the case. There are some annomolies that crop up from time-to-time and take a bit of head scratching to figure out. I've been lucky (no pun,Rollin),in that most problems were how the dies or primer feed were set up. As with any mechanical devise,but especially a progressive reloader like the Dillon,you stop...IMMEDIATELY...and do NOT continue the cycle when you feel any resistance that is not normal. I've scrunched a few cases,broken a couple primer pins and walked away from the machine cussing more than once. But after a beer...or two...I've come back with a new perspective and found the problem(s). As long as you can take the primer system,indexing pawl and parts apart and clean them...or de-burr the parts like the primer wheel...the problem is usually fixed. The best primers I've found that give the fewest problems are Winchester. CCI are too hard and have irregularities...Federal and Remington are too soft and are scrunched easily. Sellor & Belloit run well in my Super 1050's and both 650's. After nearly 40 years of reloading,I've come to respect the Dillon's and use them nearly every day to load for myself or customers. But...the finest machines I've ever used were the STAR RELOADERS (1921-1978) and still have 7-STAR's that I cannot bring myself to sell.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Well, Len said it. these are mechanical, and all it takes is one weird little thing to gum up the machine. As I noted earlier - I run 3 650s and 4 550s. Knock on wood I have never had a primer detonation, but I have been loading for 30+ years. I have had goofy assed problems, but every time it was some adjustment I had to figure out. Not sure where you are located, but I m sure there are other Dillon users nearby who would be glad to help. the Feel and sound of the press can be important. You learn what to watch for. Let us know where you are located, maybe one of us can get you up and running......

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just finish priming 5,500 30-06 shot once (HXP & LC) on my 10 year old XL650. I had 2 primers that got inserted sideways into the case. I flipped Flipped them on their side when I inserted them into the case. I was going to fast.

SO ?

Ruggy

What is the real problem. I read your post but can't figure out the problem. Are they flipping over, standing on their sides, miss feeding, or what ?

Some suggestions:

Is the press bolted securely ? A bench that isn't really strong and wobbles a bit, will surely flip the primers. I had it happen when I was using a roll away cart.

Since its happening with many different MFG, we can probably rule out primers.

Is all of the brass Lake City ???? I have noticed (even in this latest batch that I did), even after being swaged, their primer pockets are the tightest. You have to be really careful on insertion.

Next suggestion SLOW DOWN. If your running the press real fast, your chance of flipping primers goes up. A steady tempo is the way to go.

Let us know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had the same problems with my 650 too. Found it only likes Winchester so that is all I use. CCI I use in the single stage. Most of the swaged or reamed primer pockets catch the primers and cock them to where they crush or are seated sideways. I got the tool Dillon sent to check the alignment and it didn't show any problems and the next few cases crushed primers. Chalked it up to that is how it is and its better than going back to fighting the Lee progressives I used to have. Slower loading and watching how the primer seating feels catches most of them now. The volume is not as fast but better than single stage.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I did bend the little arm that indexes the primer feed wheel a while back. No matter how hard I tried, I could not bend it back into spec. This caused the primers to be slightly out of index, so they tried to feed into the shell plate. I called Dillon for a replacement, and had them give me two, just in case for next time.

If you DO figure it out, pass on the info for the next guy ;)

·
11,813 Posts
not to say they make a bad machine, i just got a lemon.

it is my luck.

I had the rare honda lemon too.

I know dillon would fix the issue had i sent it back to them. the arduous task of shipping a press back to them just delayed that effort.

so it goes.

·
11,813 Posts
len, why don't you sell me one of those Star machines you have.

then we can all prove that it was again just a user error

r

when given the opportunity, i will break the unbreakable comb.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts