1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I know there was a shortage of all ammo several years ago when Obama was in office. At that time it was difficult to get ammo and especially certain odd calibers. The ammo companies said that some of the calibers were only produced once a year or less. They would have to convert lines over to produce that caliber of ammo. Once their warehouse had enough of a certain caliber they switch to another one. Components were readily available. Now, even components are extremely hard to get.

I watched the Federal guys video when it came out. He seemed quite negative. I also watched him scoop his hands into a bin a ammo and said they were producing more 30-06 ammo this year than last year. I get about a half a dozen gun magazines and they all all talking 6.5 something or other. I do not think 30-06 has been in demand for years. Why are they tying up a production line making that? Who is buying 30-06 ammo??? First time pistol buyers? These folks buy the handgun, a box or two of ammo, stick it in the drawer, don't get any sort of handgun training and forget about it.
You would think they would concentrate on 9mm, 40 cal, 45 ACP, .223, and 5.56.

I can tell you that 30-06 is the most popular caliber in the fired brass we get at out club sponsored rifle sight in every year, by a factor of 2 or 3 over the nearest other caliber (which is 270 WIN). Now, this is in MN, and the WI ranges near us appear to be about the same. We had a lot of folks who did not find ammo for hunting season this year, and complained to us at the club sponsored events. I would also say people shot about half as much getting ready for the season based on the amount of brass we got.
I know that either here or on other boards it has been covered, but the production lines at pretty much every mfg are running 24/7. But - they can only run if they still have supplies . they cannot expand the production much beyond that since production machinery lead times are quite long- and expensive. Supply chain materials can be the same issue for them too. Since the Mfg's are running 24/7, they are eating up a lot more powder primers and bullets. From what I hear, ammo deliveries are being made. But the ammo is being bought up as quickly as it hits the shelves. How much of it is popping up on auction sites ? There seems to be a lot on local online auctions here. And expensive , as folks rush to buy it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
If you live in deer hunting country, you know how popular 30-06 is. I have lived in west PA since 1968. Trust me 30-06 is wildly popular. I know many guys who shoot hundreds of rounds before the season. I live in the country and can shoot in my backyard anytime. I hear shooting at any given time and any given day of the week. Although not after dark.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Have you guys been to the range? Are their lots of people expending ammo? At my ranges that is a big no. Ammo is too hard to find and too expensive to replace. So, if people are not shooting / using ammo, wouldn't it be faster to catch up..?? I certainly am not buying .223 ammo at 3x the price to stock on my other boxes that i bought for .30 a round.
Yes, my local club is still hosting two USPSA matches along with a steel match each month. Nearly all regular participants are long time reloaders. The only ones complaining about ammunition shortages are the noobs who didn't plan ahead at the first of last year.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I know there was a shortage of all ammo several years ago when Obama was in office. At that time it was difficult to get ammo and especially certain odd calibers. The ammo companies said that some of the calibers were only produced once a year or less. They would have to convert lines over to produce that caliber of ammo. Once their warehouse had enough of a certain caliber they switch to another one. Components were readily available. Now, even components are extremely hard to get.

I watched the Federal guys video when it came out. He seemed quite negative. I also watched him scoop his hands into a bin a ammo and said they were producing more 30-06 ammo this year than last year. I get about a half a dozen gun magazines and they all all talking 6.5 something or other. I do not think 30-06 has been in demand for years. Why are they tying up a production line making that? Who is buying 30-06 ammo??? First time pistol buyers? These folks buy the handgun, a box or two of ammo, stick it in the drawer, don't get any sort of handgun training and forget about it.

You would think they would concentrate on 9mm, 40 cal, 45 ACP, .223, and 5.56.

He didn't mention pricing? If it was staying the same or going up.

I think Jason for Hornady in his video was more positive and keep thanking us for the business.

In my readings and travels a week ago, I learned that Vista Outdoors purchased a Remington ammo plant that was running at half or less speed. This was due to Remington going into bankruptcy do to the Sandy Hook issues in 2012 and they are facing lawsuits. Vista Outdoors already has hired about 400 people.

Have you guys been to the range? Are their lots of people expending ammo? At my ranges that is a big no. Ammo is too hard to find and too expensive to replace. So, if people are not shooting / using ammo, wouldn't it be faster to catch up..?? I certainly am not buying .223 ammo at 3x the price to stock on my other boxes that i bought for .30 a round.

Maybe manufacturers are afraid to ramp up, to avoid the price fall at the end like what happened to the AR scene several years ago. Guns were backing up in distribution channels. And prices had to be dropped to get things moving.

I would also assume that the government is requesting that their contracts be fulfilled to the limit in anticipation of social unrest.

We all know the way to cripple an enemy is to screw up the supply chain....
30-06 is probably the most common hunting caliber out there and has been for many years

·
Registered
120 Posts
30-06 is probably the most common hunting caliber out there and has been for many years
I could understand that it is popular. But, every time I went to the range, the ground was littered with .223/5.56. Almost like 22 lr. You had to look very hard to see any 30-06. I think there is a ton more .223/5.56 used than 30.-06. Mostly because it is less expensive than 30-06. Since here in CA you can't get ammo shipped to your door, most people wait for the gun shows to buy ammo. I know a lot of people around here are starting to get into reloading. I have sold off almost all my older presses.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I could understand that it is popular. But, every time I went to the range, the ground was littered with .223/5.56. Almost like 22 lr. You had to look very hard to see any 30-06. I think there is a ton more .223/5.56 used than 30.-06. Mostly because it is less expensive than 30-06. Since here in CA you can't get ammo shipped to your door, most people wait for the gun shows to buy ammo. I know a lot of people around here are starting to get into reloading. I have sold off almost all my older presses.
People tend to pick up 30-06 brass at ranges where 5.56 is so common many just leave it laying on the ground. In addition from the 5.56 I see laying on the ground most is steel case which cannot be reloaded.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Most hunters also police their brass wether at the range or in the woods.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I searched briefly for the most popular rifle die sets sold. Top five include:
30-06
300 Win Mag
I'll make my own guess on pistol:
9MM
45 ACP
44 Mag
38/357 Spec or Mag
380 ACP

Reactions: L999here

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I still find plenty of .223 and 9MM brass out at the range,even recently,I have probably only found 20-30 30-06 cases in the 20 years that the range has been open!
I would really like to think that all of the regulars here have plenty of primers and powder on hand,either way this election turned out there was going to be problems.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I still find plenty of .223 and 9MM brass out at the range,even recently,I have probably only found 20-30 30-06 cases in the 20 years that the range has been open!
I would really like to think that all of the regulars here have plenty of primers and powder on hand,either way this election turned out there was going to be problems.
I loaded roughly 2,000 rounds of 30-06 a few weeks ago, more out of boredom than any other reason. Ran out of brass long before I came close to running out of bullets, primers and powder.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I have been loading a couple thousand rounds of dummy .308 each month for the last 6 and linking them on M60 links and selling them on ebay,but with the price increases and getting harder to find projectiles it's no longer cost effective,people just won't pay what I have to get,luckily I could leave the old primer in so all it cost me was a case and a projectile,I still have plenty of both but I won't be listing any until I see what happens over the next couple of months!

·
Registered
38 Posts
As I remember, in the Obama era,, one of the reasons common calibers ran short was caused by a Fed Government buying spree.

·
11,810 Posts
The federal government buys a lot of ammo every year and their orders generally are more important than a sports authority

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
So.....I was thinking.......if it's OK to act as a private company and not sell server space to people you don't agree with........???? Do other manufacturing companies have the same rights and freedoms ????

·
11,810 Posts
So.....I was thinking.......if it's OK to act as a private company and not sell server space to people you don't agree with........???? Do other manufacturing companies have the same rights and freedoms ????
guessing this is the wrong thread but in a terms of service discussion its possible. not because you don't agree with someone but if you are signing a user agreement. you rent a property and sign a lease that says no subletting, you cant sublet. Bank says you can't deposit money from your state legal pot shop in michigan, you can't use that bank for those funds.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
My area of interest was / is more towards the possible requirements to sell to government body's and institutions instead of individual private avenues of sales.

Let's say....hmmmm....like ammunition and components - primers | projectiles | powder \ brass ? I only ask because of the complete unavailability of these items and the reasons/excuses given across the information avenues we are limited to. Just curious....

·
11,810 Posts
i don't think that the component companies are restricting customers, per se. they are prioritizing for sure. most companies do that when there is a run on their wares. starting with contractual demands then large long time businesses, etc etc.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Yes.....I agree....that was my initial thought - but what if contractual demands are ignored or disregarded [as it seems {and I repeat seems} to be going on with survers and providers for some social media users. I'm guessing the axe would fall in a different direction were some situations reversed to the benefit of groups like firearm enthusiasts.....?? Who knows....I obviously have too much free time on my hands right now.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Was toilet paper running low because the government was putting Dulclax in the water?

Simple hoarding. No one that runs a business is going to destroy it or miss an opportunity to make more product to make more money

21 - 40 of 40 Posts