1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my M1919A6 with the 7.62mm NATO conversion parts in it to the range yesterday to test fire to ensure it functions properly before I seend the gun out for its final parkerization. Unlike the 30-06 parts, the 7.62mm NATO wwould not feed the belt properly. I used all Izzy parts in the 7.62mm with the exception of the bolt. The bolt would strip the first cartridge out of the linked belt if the gun was loaded with the top cover up and not pulled through the feed pawl with the top cover closed. The 30-06 bolt easily worked with the 7.62mm NATO cartridges. I also used a complete separate Izzy modified top cover and the front and rear cartridges stops. I barrel was a new Izzy barrel. The front booster was a modified bank adapter for the M1919A6 which worked perfectly. The problem seems that the belt wants to katdiwumpus (A new m1919A4-ism coined by one of my shooting friends - belt wanting to go in crooked into the feedway when fired) The 7.62mm cartridges seems to be tight going into the feedway (lengthwise) and between the face of the bolt and front cartridge stop. Does any members of the forum have any suggestions for a fix to my katdiwumpus problem.

Well I am off to the Valley Forge Gun Show this morning (hope to find some goodies for my M1919A6 and M1910 Maxim) and a Father's Day Barbacue in the afternoon. Happy Father's Day to all the forum members!!!

·
Registered
901 Posts
If the gun is all usgi you will have trouble with the belt holding pawl on the trunion and the top cover slide thingy. These parts were modified to make 308feed well in the 1919. I believe the rule is that 06 and 8mm will work in a non izzy gun but not 308.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I discovered the source of the problem

Well, I am back from the Valley Forge Gun Show and have had a chance to take a deep look at the "katdiwumpus" problem. It appears that I was using M118 Special Ball 7.62mm NATO which has a longer bullet which probably jams up the belt. I had to delink several belts and pull out a fresh case of 150 grain .308 Winchester and link them. Well, it back off to the range in several weeks to see if my "katdiwumpus" is solved. Gearlogo many thanks for your input it forced me to go back and look at all of the issues with the 7.62mm conversion.

It was very slow at the Valley Forge Gun Show with Father's Day and a local airshow at Willow Grove Air Reserve Station. Mostly overprice junk which I saw at the show before I deployed to Iraq. Met an old friend, Bill Ricca, he looked great and it was good to see and talk with him about M1919A6. I did see one OOW M1919A4 semi-auto for a little under two grand on a tripod and a T&E which was put on backwards. (God I love gun experts at gun shows). I did pick up a 8mm new M1919A4 barrel and front cartridge stop for $170.00 which I could not believe was at the show, so the show was not a total loss. I did see one gun show special for $150.00 for 1,000 rounds of Romanian 8mm Mauser that was cheaper than Wolf 7.62x39!! But at that point I was running low on cash.

Again everyone have a Great Father's Day.

fjruple

576 Posts
You realize of course there are probably people reading this and wishing to do you harm for shooting the some times hard to find M118 match grade ammo in a belt fed browning. :)

$150 for 1k of Romanian is not a very good price. That is 15 cents a round and you can find it pretty regularly for about 9 cents a round. It is always cheaper than Wolf 7.62x39

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
If you think that's bad listen to this:

At a local auction sale I bought over 800 rds of the stuff for $35 because nobody else wanted it.:D

I hope you're not using commercial 308 because most of the time the OAL is too short for the 1919. I have used South African 7.62 nato almost exclusively with out any problems in mine if you're looking for good surplus stuff.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I would bet that the C5 conversion used the new front feed stop with the spring because it would flex and allowed for different length rounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts